Manager/Coach [Poll] When Should Robinson Go?

At what point should Robinson go?

• Now, he's had plenty of chances to build a successful squad and hasn't

Votes: 47 22.1%
  • January if we're not in the top 10

Votes: 65 30.5%
  • End of the season if he doesn't make the playoffs

Votes: 53 24.9%
  • Not in the foreseeable future

Votes: 48 22.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We’ve got the fourth biggest budget in the division this season. He could underperform his resources by 50% in relative terms and still achieve a playoff place in 6th.

I really don’t think any supporter should be breathing a sigh of relief that if nothing else we won’t get relegated in that situation.

I would have thought all the following clubs have a bigger budget than us:-
Sheffield Wednesday
Ipswich
Portsmouth
Peterborough
Derby
Plymouth
Bolton
Barnsley
Charlton
Which would make our budget the 10th biggest?

I'm always intrigued as to who people would like to replace KR before some smart a**e tells me it's not are job I know that but if you was the owner who would you go and get to take us to the next level because unless we get someone who could take us to the next level with our budget then we might aswel keep KR

I'm always intrigued as to who people would like to replace KR before some smart a**e tells me it's not are job I know that but if you was the owner who would you go and get to take us to the next level because unless we get someone who could take us to the next level with our budget then we might aswel keep KR
It always makes me laugh when you question who people would get and they say it’s the boards job. Well it’s also the boards job to decide if they want Robinson to stay as manager or not.

Right now Robinson is the man for the job IMO. He gets the team playing exciting football, isn’t afraid to bring in youth players if they are ready and he gets the whole culture of the club. He also has us consistently challenging for the top 6. Question marks over if he can get us over the line are there but I do think he will get us over the line and off the field we have the rumblings on of a new stadium.

Right now there is a much bigger picture surrounding the club and that’s why I’m not concerned after just 3 league games.

It always makes me laugh when you question who people would get and they say it’s the boards job. Well it’s also the boards job to decide if they want Robinson to stay as manager or not.

Right now Robinson is the man for the job IMO. He gets the team playing exciting football, isn’t afraid to bring in youth players if they are ready and he gets the whole culture of the club. He also has us consistently challenging for the top 6. Question marks over if he can get us over the line are there but I do think he will get us over the line and off the field we have the rumblings on of a new stadium.

Right now there is a much bigger picture surrounding the club and that’s why I’m not concerned after just 3 league games.
I'm someone who likes KR but I'm not he can take us to the next level I would love him to but dunno it does make me laugh tho people who say we should get rid you know sometimes the grass isn't greener the next man could take us backwards (clotet)

Nothing exciting about Saturdays performance. Dire, mistake filled and poor overall. Wasn't very exciting at Derby either.
Exciting is when we score, when we have good passing, good finishing, skillful play.
Consistently challenging for top 6? How about consistently in the top 6?

Nothing exciting about Saturdays performance. Dire, mistake filled and poor overall. Wasn't very exciting at Derby either.
Exciting is when we score, when we have good passing, good finishing, skillful play.
Consistently challenging for top 6? How about consistently in the top 6?
Come on ML, you seem a sensible man. You know just as well as I do that over the last 3 seasons we have been a very exciting team to watch and score plenty of goals.
This year it looks like they have tried to tighten up the defence but in turn it has stopped our attacked flair. I do however think this will be addressed.

We have made the top 6 2 out of the last 3 seasons. If we do it this year that will be 3 out of 4 seasons and the one year we didn’t we got enough points that would of got us easily in there any other year.

We have been competing with some very big clubs over the last few years in this league and have held our own plenty of times against them.

I’m merely trying to point out that it isn’t as bad as some are trying to make it seem.

Come on ML, you seem a sensible man. You know just as well as I do that over the last 3 seasons we have been a very exciting team to watch and score plenty of goals.
This year it looks like they have tried to tighten up the defence but in turn it has stopped our attacked flair. I do however think this will be addressed.

We have made the top 6 2 out of the last 3 seasons. If we do it this year that will be 3 out of 4 seasons and the one year we didn’t we got enough points that would of got us easily in there any other year.

We have been competing with some very big clubs over the last few years in this league and have held our own plenty of times against them.

I’m merely trying to point out that it isn’t as bad as some are trying to make it seem.
I'm not sure fans are trying to present things as bad?

The fans unhappy with a mirror version of pre season and the transfer window under KR are pointing out facts and concerns?

I'm more worried by fans such as yourself and one or two others that have maintained season on season that all will come good... You encourage people to wait for the end of the window. Then when that doesn't work you say the team needs time to gel, and we have made some cracking signings (mainly injured or unfit). Then you say let's wait and see how the January window goes before casting any judgements. Following that, there's the final push at the end of the season where any doubters are told to wait. And then we're told to be patient in the summer. Sound familiar mate?

I think in two of the three league matches so far there has been one new player in each starting line up. Surely even by your optimistic standards Steve, and when KR said countless times we need to improve in many player positions, this is worrying?

I think KR as a human is a good bloke. However, he is not a great football manager or coach, in many many ways.

The football has been poor, dire most of the time.
We were not challenging last season.
After 5 years, he doesn't correct things for the following year that are obvious e.g. the physicality problems, the number of crocs he buys.

I absolutely hate this argument. It isn't a race to a certain amount of points, it's points compared to everyone else in the league. The bottom end was really weak last season with two teams staying up after gaining less than one point per game over the year. Everyone gets to play them twice so the teams at the top ended up with more points, in the end we were a long way short.

I posted on another thread earlier about our start last season and how it flattered us somewhat with the points won, we had an incredibly easy start and yet in the first 10 games we lost to Wimbledon and drew at home with Gillingham. Points matter throughout the season and a big part of the frustration with most fans is that we are yet again looking like having a slow start, hamstringing ourselves later on.

The football has been poor, dire most of the time.
We were not challenging last season.
After 5 years, he doesn't correct things for the following year that are obvious e.g. the physicality problems, the number of crocs he buys.
I'd get rid if he wore them tbh, a fashion faux pas beyond redemption

I like KR and think he's done a very decent job since he's been with us. He's also really got into the culture and history of the club and it appears that he genuinely cares.

Of course it's been disappointing that he's not been able to get over the line in terms of getting us promoted, and there have been some questionable decisions that seem to be somewhat of a reoccurring theme.

BUT what I would say is 'be careful what you wish for', as under KR I'd say we are (hopefully) at least safe in League One and have usually been pushing towards the top end of the league, while scoring lots of goals with an attractive brand of football. As we all know, it could be a lot worse!
With the budget Karl has, it'd be very very difficult to get relegated. Just by spending that money on good players will see you safe just from individual moments of skill.

For me 'careful what you wish for' is more of a saying aimed towards clubs who sack a manager who's keeping them up in the division but not pushing on, rather than a manager who's currently massively underperforming his budget and could be replaced with a manager equally as good, if not better, with the money the board is making available.

Karl Robinson is not the be all and end all of our promotion hopes, nor is he the only thing keeping us from being a League Two club. He's just an average football manager.

We’ll see after 4.45 on Saturday having 2 games played since this thread started nil points and the gripes will come thick and fast, 6 points and it will go dormant for a while and if we improve big time it will stay dormant. The end of this transfer window may also contribute as to how we do, no improvement then I think the board may well meet if we improve then things will be alright.

The more pertinent question is who would you replace him with? No one has suggested any alternatives!
I obviously don't know what reactions were like at the time but do you think Plymouth fans were absolutely buzzing to appoint their assistant manager into his first full management role last season? Same as Ipswich having a Premier League teams youth coach and MK Dons nabbing a bloke from the second tier in Belgium. What might look an uninspiring choice could work out if due process is followed when recruiting. It's going wrong for MK this season (although in the last couple of windows they've lost Twine, Darling and O'Riley who would all walk into any team in this league and plenty in the league above) but otherwise they all outperformed Robbo last season without the benefit of having several years to get their feet under the table and things structured to suit them, Mckenna and Schumacher didn't even have the first window and Manning got the job a couple of days before the season started.

I'll not try and claim to be ITK at all but I suspect Plymouth and MK Dons had similar budgets to us and Ipswich would have been bigger but my point is that fans not being able to name off the top of their head a manager to come in shouldn't be a huge barrier to moving the current incumbent on. With a new stadium in the offing, a decent if lopsided and injury prone squad, a very healthy budget and ambitious owners and a reputation for giving managers time I'd imagine we're a very attractive option and would have a lot of interest, be it from experienced managers or younger guys looking to cut their teeth/step up from managing Premier League under 23's.

I obviously don't know what reactions were like at the time but do you think Plymouth fans were absolutely buzzing to appoint their assistant manager into his first full management role last season? Same as Ipswich having a Premier League teams youth coach and MK Dons nabbing a bloke from the second tier in Belgium. What might look an uninspiring choice could work out if due process is followed when recruiting. It's going wrong for MK this season (although in the last couple of windows they've lost Twine, Darling and O'Riley who would all walk into any team in this league and plenty in the league above) but otherwise they all outperformed Robbo last season without the benefit of having several years to get their feet under the table and things structured to suit them, Mckenna and Schumacher didn't even have the first window and Manning got the job a couple of days before the season started.

I'll not try and claim to be ITK at all but I suspect Plymouth and MK Dons had similar budgets to us and Ipswich would have been bigger but my point is that fans not being able to name off the top of their head a manager to come in shouldn't be a huge barrier to moving the current incumbent on. With a new stadium in the offing, a decent if lopsided and injury prone squad, a very healthy budget and ambitious owners and a reputation for giving managers time I'd imagine we're a very attractive option and would have a lot of interest, be it from experienced managers or younger guys looking to cut their teeth/step up from managing Premier League under 23's.
Also added to that there are always more managers and coaches than there are clubs. So to say it's wrong to sack Karl because there's no one else to come in is nonsense, there are so many who would leap at the chance to be our manager, especially when they see our budget.

It would be interesting to better understand when and why the seemingly additional funds for the current transfer window became available some weeks after the beginning.

The more pertinent question is who would you replace him with? No one has suggested any alternatives!

Warburton.

Robinson should be gone if we're not top 6 by Christmas, let alone top 10. Another relatively poor transfer window and another poor start, made better only by a 19 year old on his first L1 appearance scoring a 93rd minute goal.

It would be interesting to better understand when and why the seemingly additional funds for the current transfer window became available some weeks after the beginning.
Again I won't profess to being in the know but is this true? We spent a decent amount last season just getting and keeping Kane (who we played out of position, but that's another argument) as well as shelling out on Browne who won't be playing for peanuts and a free frame at the Bowlplex every week. Plenty of talk about club record bids for Szmodics etc as well, it looks from the outside that the budget has been healthy for a while. If we're not getting round to spending it then it looks like an issue with recruitment and I won't be the only person who thinks Robbo takes on too much of the responsibility where most other clubs these days have teams dedicated to it or a director of football to take care of a lot of the finer points.

Might be wrong of course but it looks hard to apportion any blame on the owners and their ambitions.

Back
Top Bottom