Home Match Day Thread PJ Trophy: OUFC v Tottenham Hotspur U21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good workout for the reserves and pleased for Cooper who worked hard and deserved his goals. McGuane also looked solid and great to see Gorrin hit a goal from open play. Not much else though.

Womens football, at least in this country, is put in on a pedestal, and it’s a pedestal that in no way shape or form, matches the quality of the game that is being played! The problem is, with all of the attention that it rightly or wrongly receives in the media, the standard of football is no better than a decent U16’s academy side. In fact, I’ve seen reports of the US ladies team getting absolutely walloped by a young academy team. The womens game deserves exposure but it doesn’t warrant anywhere near the level of coverage that it currently receives. Largely, it’s another PC tick box exercise, because if we were to broadcast sport based on the quality and appeal, would it be shown? No
Depends. Research shows young girls are far less likely to take part in sport than boys. This has lifelong health implications as well as social and psychological. More exposure for women's sports means more participation for young girls in sports. Plus, why directly compare to men, it's different? Emma Raducanu would likely be beaten by men seeded 400+ but are you trying to say her run in the US Open wasn't majestic to watch because she isn't as good as the top men? Women's football will only get stronger and is a product in it's own right. I like watching it, it inspires thousands of young girls to play sport, including my daughter.

Easty 7 - swept + distributed well

Forde 6 - unnoticeable but solid
Mous 6.5 - surprisingly impressive
McNally 5 - sloppy for pen, harsh 2nd yellow
Hanson 5 - tough time against Clarke

Gorrin 6.5 - did ok, cracking finish
Johnson 6 - quiet but came into it well at the end
McGuane 6.5 - showed signs of promise

Bodin 5.5 - needs to stop missing sitters
Agyei 6 - frustrating, per usual
Cooper 8.5 - really good game, finished well + looked threatening throughout. Solid at LB too, has earnt himself a lifeline.

3 young lads who came on all looked promising too, put themselves about. Pretty good night on the whole.

No way I was gonna pay to watch that Mickey Mouse bullshit, but I get the impression Agyei didn't impress?

Womens football, at least in this country, is put in on a pedestal, and it’s a pedestal that in no way shape or form, matches the quality of the game that is being played! The problem is, with all of the attention that it rightly or wrongly receives in the media, the standard of football is no better than a decent U16’s academy side. In fact, I’ve seen reports of the US ladies team getting absolutely walloped by a young academy team. The womens game deserves exposure but it doesn’t warrant anywhere near the level of coverage that it currently receives. Largely, it’s another PC tick box exercise, because if we were to broadcast sport based on the quality and appeal, would it be shown? No.
Agree with your analysis I mean I really have no interest in women's football despite being a female..not sure about the PC part..as when trying to address an imbalance in coverage there will always be overexposure with good intentions imo at the outset. Certainly Latvia must have about 10/th of population of England.

Womens football, at least in this country, is put in on a pedestal, and it’s a pedestal that in no way shape or form, matches the quality of the game that is being played! The problem is, with all of the attention that it rightly or wrongly receives in the media, the standard of football is no better than a decent U16’s academy side. In fact, I’ve seen reports of the US ladies team getting absolutely walloped by a young academy team. The womens game deserves exposure but it doesn’t warrant anywhere near the level of coverage that it currently receives. Largely, it’s another PC tick box exercise, because if we were to broadcast sport based on the quality and appeal, would it be shown? No.
Some of the Attendances are pretty good. Ultimately people will vote with their feet.
If they’re attracting the crowds, it would be odd for the media to ignore them.

The promotion of women's football is mad lately, no matter how much they push it I'm not going to watch it. Mens football takes up enough of my time as it is.

not sure about the PC part
I am. Why are there female pundits for male matches, if this isn’t a PC exercise? There are plenty of successful former male players that can offer insight into the game that they have actually played. The only thing womens football has in common with mens football, is the actual football.

I am. Why are there female pundits for male matches, if this isn’t a PC exercise? There are plenty of former male players that can offer insight into the game that they have actually played. The only thing womens football has in common with mens football, is the actual football.
I'd be uncomfortable with a situation where somebody was denied a job because of their gender, including football commentary.

I am. Why are there female pundits for male matches, if this isn’t a PC exercise? There are plenty of successful former male players that can offer insight into the game that they have actually played. The only thing womens football has in common with mens football, is the actual football.

And how many former male player offer no insight whatsoever? Sometimes it feels like an old boys club

Some of the Attendances are pretty good. Ultimately people will vote with their feet.
If they’re attracting the crowds, it would be odd for the media to ignore them.
The attendances are only good when tickets are given away for free and the matches are played before a mens game. They have been voting with their feet, and the attendances show that. If the womens game was left to fund itself, it would be dead inside a month. If they’re so desperate to be taken seriously, start Sky Sports Women etc and see how well they do, without the male game to ride on the back of.

I don’t really care either way; I just find the constant force-feeding in the media, detrimental to what they are actually aiming to achieve.

Last edited:
I'd be uncomfortable with a situation where somebody was denied a job because of their gender, including football commentary.
I’d be uncomfortable with someone getting a job because of their gender, despite the fact they’re not qualified

Depends. Research shows young girls are far less likely to take part in sport than boys. This has lifelong health implications as well as social and psychological. More exposure for women's sports means more participation for young girls in sports. Plus, why directly compare to men, it's different? Emma Raducanu would likely be beaten by men seeded 400+ but are you trying to say her run in the US Open wasn't majestic to watch because she isn't as good as the top men? Women's football will only get stronger and is a product in it's own right. I like watching it, it inspires thousands of young girls to play sport, including my daughter.
Ive been to watch OUWFC/ Yellow Roses a few times ( & will go again too) ... and I take a vague interest in England women/ lionesses competitive games too

both are generally a decentish watch ... but, real/proper/ men's league football it isn't, and its a long way off getting any where near it too- As @Followtheox1 says^^ above, it will get stronger and be a product in its own right.

One mild annoyance is womens football ( PL) gets a dedicated tv show on a terrestrial channel.... EFL is tucked away on Quest with games outside the championship given 1-2 mins screen time .... hardly reflects the attendances of EFL games , even L2 , in comparison to attendance at Womens PL games

Have never been to a U21 game in this competition and never will, however, always want us to win.
Glad we got it over the line.

Shame we are out as it’s good practice for the fringe players.

back to tonights PJT - thought the team selected played well, but , despite 3 goals and a few decent saves by Spurs u21 keeper, chances made weren't finished well enough for my liking

The only thing womens football has in common with mens football, is the actual football.
Eh, what a strange thing to say when trying to argue against female pundits, that is a pretty big thing to have in common when the topic is football!! It would be like saying a female tennis player can't talk about male tennis as tennis is the only thing they have in common. Well that is what is being discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom