OUFC Transfer Deadline Day Thread - Jan 2019

• Thread starter Deleted member 222
  • Start date
In all seriousness, I wouldn’t be surprised if the FA get involved with this as it’s potentially dodgy to say the least and could set an unwelcome trend amongst clubs / agents and players.

It's not just potentially dodgy, it's not allowed.
The only way we could get Jonte Smith in today is if he cancelled his contract before 11 pm last night. You can't just cancel your contract after the window (even a minute later) and then just say "I'm a free agent, I can play for whoever".
Fortunately, I think the cancellation happened in time, so shouldn't be an issue. Lewes wouldn't have put out a statement like that if there was any dodginess.

Oh yeah, welcome Jonte as well!

I can't see what else the club could have done if (as we are led to believe) Vaughan was set to sign and went for a better deal at the last moment. Imagine some of the posts on here if nobody had come in. I've know idea how Sinclair will turn out, no one does, but we've now got an extra striker which gives us another option from the bench.
The way some people go on its as if it's as simple as naming the player you want and just getting him
Yep. Some fans are still partying like it's 1986

So we now have 3 strikers. Does that mean KR will no longer persist with the policy of the lone striker??

Does it not show what relevance a players form at a previous club means, but you just dismiss him now to try and amplify your point.

I was using him as an example of how young, unproven players can struggle to make an impact. I also highlighted Roofe as an example of when they can work out.

Listen, my opinion was that we should have signed a proven striker at this level. Just because I think that it doesn't mean I'm saying Sinclair is s**t and will flop during his time here. I just think when you sign players that have been there and done it there's an increased likelihood that they'll make the grade when compared to players that haven't. That's all.

Useful video of Jonte Smith on Youtube. Some of his goals in Finland. Looks like he played at a low level but what's obvious is that he is a very natural finisher and both quick and strong.

Useful video of Jonte Smith on Youtube. Some of his goals in Finland. Looks like he played at a low level but what's obvious is that he is a very natural finisher and both quick and strong.

Poor defences, but he knows how to put the ball in the net!

It’s all well and good quoting social media bazzer but that first guy is always moaning whatever’s going on! Think he’s smhs or use to be and probably doesn’t even watch the games as more intent on fighting
Maybe but I don’t think he is that wrong about what he wrote. And SMHS they’re not old skool now that was SMHS

Im actually quite excited about Smith, think he looks to have a lot of opportunity for development and desire to better himself.

So we have one striker who's not scored many goals but comes from a higher level, and another striker who's scored shed loads of goals at a lower level. I quite like the look of Smith, he's tall but seems quite capable on the ball, a different kind of player to what we've had before. Whether he'll make the step up is anyone's guess, but let's hope he fairs better than our last Smith.

Exemplifie my earlier point.

How do you know we will ‘limp’ to the end of the season?

Well, mainly because we’ve been limping literally all season I guess.

Of course I’ll support the team etc, but I’m mightily pissed off with the way the club is being managed or should I say not.

I mean, to hear Karl say we’re learning about transfer deadline day is un-f*****g believable!

Smith looks prolific but has played for loads of clubs including 24 goals in 19 for Met Police

Hmm reading this article it gives the "impression" he will be in the under23s. It is also odd his contract is only until the end of the season. Perhaps he won't be playing any first team fixtures, hence why this move was allowed.

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/...ns-oxford-united-after-transfer-deadline-day/

He'll start as the 3rd choice striker for the 1st team (probably playing U23s to keep match fit). My take from that report is he was released from his Lewes contract before 11pm, hence we could sign him after the deadline.

So he is basically back up for the 1st team whilst being on an extended trial to the end of the season.

Back
Top Bottom