OUFC Transfer Deadline Day Thread - Jan 2019

• Thread starter Deleted member 222
  • Start date
Seems harsh on Mackie. He had a great game on Tuesday. Start him and bring Sinclair on when he starts to tire, IMO.
Or better still, do it the other way round, bring Mackie on as a late impact sub if necessary. Mackie has the occasional decent game but he's still a stop-gap and has only scored 5 times in 25 starts. QPR mainly used him as a sub.
Yes we've all warmed to the way he provides a nit of needle, but he's now a limited footballer and we need to give Sinclair and the new Smith a proper chance to prove themselves.

Regarding Vaughn, it seems strange that people think he went to pompey for more money. Surely he is still getting paid the same by Wigan whether he plays for us or Pompey? Its clear Pompey came in after Vaughn had agreed to play for us and he (and probably Wigan) fancied that move instead.

Maybe Wigan withdrew agreement with us as they got more of his wages paid?

Throw them straight in. Smith is hungry and scoring goals. Nightmare to play against a big quick guy who doesn't do what you expect. Bags of energy which is what we are lacking. Be brave Karl and back your judgement. The 23's are the reserves and bedding in there proves nothing. We need to show younger players too that when they come they get their chance to play. If he is only planned for the U23 /backup he brings unwelcome costs. Lets see what they are both made of
He already averages 2 goals a game for our Under 23s.

Or better still, do it the other way round, bring Mackie on as a late impact sub if necessary. Mackie has the occasional decent game but he's still a stop-gap and has only scored 5 times in 25 starts. QPR mainly used him as a sub.
Yes we've all warmed to the way he provides a nit of needle, but he's now a limited footballer and we need to give Sinclair and the new Smith a proper chance to prove themselves.

Mackie's been good in the last few games so I can't see Robinson changing it and imo rightly so. Mackie knows the team patterns etc whilst Sinclair will have only been with the squad training 1 day. The difference now though is Mackie can be told to play hard for an hour knowing we have options to come off the bench for the rest of the game.

Seems harsh on Mackie. He had a great game on Tuesday. Start him and bring Sinclair on when he starts to tire, IMO.
The reason i say drop Mackie is because of how much he's played. Constantly running himself into the ground. In my opinion he deserves a rest.

I think we should keep starting with Mackie for now, who can work their defence hard for an hour or so, and have the other two on the bench and introduce one or both to use their pace/unpredicatbility against s tiring backline. But generallly they and Graham add a variety to our options going forwards whcih should reap rewards one way or another.

I am very disappointed not in who we bought in but for the whole way the window went.
Pros:
- We have another striker (all be it of questionable effectiveness, we shall see)
- We have replaced the forever injured Holmes with a better player
- We have bought another young lad with future potential
- We have more cover for defensive midfield (did we need it?)
- We may already have the strength we need to stay up (I think we will be relying heavily on it)

Cons:
- We have no dedicated senior right backs. Hanson is questionable in this position
- We still only have Garbutt as cover for left back another position that needs strengthening
- We now have little senior cover for center back
- We seemed to have approached the windows with little or no plan
- The striker search was fascicle
- No real money was spent strengthening the team for the relegation battle despite promises (money was only spent of future players)
- There was endless nonsense and lies spouted by the owner and manager again
- We seem to have missed out on nearly all of our targeted players
- We look even more like a club with money issues
- This windows was a repeat of the summer we have learnt nothing

Way forwards:
- The scouting needs to get a heck of a lot better
- We need in depth analysis of why we are missing out on so many players
- If we are struggling for money the manager and owner needs to admit to themselves we are not a big club chasing promotion we need to start thinking like the smaller clubs and pick lesser targets
- The squad definitely needs balancing buy only the players for areas of weakness
- No more players for tomorrow unless they can play today
- Is the U23 side a luxury that is damaging the first teams budget?? if so get rid for now
- Keep your blinking mouths shut KR and Tiger fans aren't stupid neither is the wider world. The impression we are giving is that we are a club in a shambles.
- Get your best players under extended contracts earlier (we will loose key players in the summer)
- Lay off the blinking loan system. One or two good, five or more is not building anything lasting.

I am angry. The club appears an utter mess and I wouldn't trust KR to be able to sign an autograph never mind a player. i am hoping our existing talents is enough. Graham is a good additon and who knows Sinclair could be revelation. On the whole though we need to get much better in these windows to fix the utter mess are squad is in. Otherwise as the saying goes "Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it ".

Great post! Niall McWilliams, here's your OFSTED report. Special Measures? We desperately need an experienced and empowered football administrator at this club. I'm not as angry or gloomy as you (maybe because my expectations were low and because last season's time under Clotet felt even more destructive) but agree with you on what matters and that we need to get a grip on this before it's too late.

or is it 2.5 per game at U23 level, involving our U23s? ...scored a hat-trick as a trialist for scum against our U23

2 for us + 3 for Scum 5 in 2 games.... average of 2.5 goals per game ;)
Ok I accept that calculation ?

Off topic regarding OUFC just read what Sunderland paid Wigan for Will Grigg 4 million god they must have been desperate considering their 4th bid was 1.25 million and it was their 6th bid that mailed their transfer.

Off topic regarding OUFC just read what Sunderland paid Wigan for Will Grigg 4 million god they must have been desperate considering their 4th bid was 1.25 million and it was their 6th bid that mailed their transfer.

I think they are desperate, hence the fee, due to the levels of expectation from the fans that they will get promoted.

I think they are desperate, hence the fee, due to the levels of expectation from the fans that they will get promoted.
More than likely get promoted but imagine if they didn’t with no parachute payment just L1 money which I’m not sure but think is less than a million and don’t SD have to pay Ellis from Parachute Payments

Mackie played Tuesday and struggles to play two full games in a week. He might as well have not been on the pitch at Bury. Agree have him ready to come on from half time onwards if needed.

Used in the right way he is a key squad member his work ethic is excellent! 'Limited' is not a word I would use.

Back
Top Bottom