OUFC Transfer Deadline Day Thread - Jan 2019

• Thread starter Deleted member 222
  • Start date
Great post! Niall McWilliams, here's your OFSTED report. Special Measures? We desperately need an experienced and empowered football administrator at this club. I'm not as angry or gloomy as you (maybe because my expectations were low and because last season's time under Clotet felt even more destructive) but agree with you on what matters and that we need to get a grip on this before it's too late.

I agree - a good post.

I also agree that we need someone experienced to come in and formulate a recruitment strategy. KR driving 7,000 miles around Europe searching for players is madness. We should have had a list of targets lined up in Nov/Dec and already have pre-discussions with the respective clubs/agents.
Employ someone in a Director of Football role (i.e. someone like Mick Harford at Luton), that can take the pressure off KR to sort the recruitment, and define longer term strategies for the club.

There should be a strategy around loan signings, either they are players with potential for a permanent move (i.e. within our wage structure) or younger promising players which we can give game time to. For the later, we need to build some stronger relationships with Prem/Champ clubs that are willing to work with us and not recall and send back out when it suits them.

My feeling is that Tiger planned to have more investment on board by now. Okay they underestimated the running costs of the club, but it is clear there is little free capital to play with atm. Hopefully the additional investment is something he is actively working on, otherwise he needs to reconsider his plan and streamline the business. Unfortunately, this would likely lead to the loss of the U23s and reduction in the wage budget. Promotion to the Championship is still possible with the later (as Burton showed), however, it needs a change of mentality and expectation from managers, players and supporters.
Sustaining success in the Championship or promotion to the Premiership is unfortunately impossible without "significant" backing.

Last edited:
“If you want to be competitive at this level you’ve got to really spend big on a striker.”

I feel like I do this analysis, and post something similar every year......

......but it's worth pointing out to KR that of the ten highest goalscorers in League One this year, only three joined their current clubs for a fee (James Collins, Kieffer Moore, Paddy Madden).

The other seven were all either youth team graduates, or free transfers (although two of them - Josh Maja and Karlan Grant - have been sold to higher leagues this transfer window).

Tom Eaves is a classic example - he's scored at a rate of 1 in 2 for Gillingham over the past two seasons; prior to that he was released by Yeovil (!?!)

So no, you don't need to spend big on a striker. You need to have a good eye for a player, and put them in a well-structured team that's geared up to succeed.

Hopefully that's what he's done with Sinclair......we shall see......

......but it's worth pointing out to KR that of the ten highest goalscorers in League One this year, only three joined their current clubs for a fee (James Collins, Kieffer Moore, Paddy Madden).

The other seven were all either youth team graduates, or free transfers (although two of them - Josh Maja and Karlan Grant - have been sold to higher leagues this transfer window).

Tom Eaves is a classic example - he's scored at a rate of 1 in 2 for Gillingham over the past two seasons; prior to that he was released by Yeovil (!?!)

So no, you don't need to spend big on a striker. You need to have a good eye for a player, and put them in a well-structured team that's geared up to succeed.

There’s no place for that kind of common sense here

What are you saying Sarge??????
I'm speculating in a mischievously calculated way , while remembering a previous Pompey manager apparently did have an association with alleged brown envelopes stuffed with bank notes changing hands.... tigers tend not to change their stripes Im told... Pompey always been a bit iffy IMO ;)

Great post

Great post... only issue is, we’re not a “well structured team geared up to succeed”. In my opinion anyway.

Good post.

Also worth noting that Tom Eaves is now 27.

Some players take time to fulfill their potential.

Always nice to banter with one of the YF cult heroes..

Disagree. How can you say that? All his games to date have been at higher level than league 1.

We’ve also just made 4 signings in the window. Yes, I know 3 are loans but 1 is a great addition to the squad - and as for the others, well, the jury is out. That’s what a measured supporter CAN say in all fairness....the jury’s out,

And Incidentally has Mackie been such a bad signing anyway? Have you watched any of the last 3 league games?

I’m sorry the default for many on here re the squad is negativity. Lately this has been depressing. And unfair.

By all means have a crack at the ‘cash flow’ management of the club ( very concerning), but squad building ? , in this window? No.

Likewise Sir Tim.

I’ve always enjoyed respectfully disagreeing with Brian Wilstermams latter day incarnation.

I think Mackie is decent although like any striker he goes through fits and starts. That’s why you need more than one. And also I only watch on iplayer so it’s an inferior judgment as I can’t see all his off ball movement

I think part of the reaction is the terrible communication again.

Communication: Big striker coming in during window to safe us from bleak league two.

Reality: guy with potential who has so far achieved zero of note.

We’ve seen too many players drop from more senior leagues to know that it’s not really a guarantee they’ll walk it.

I don’t have any hatred towards Sunderland or there supporters tbh. Ive always found them friendly, but it would be nice if they failed this season. I’d like another trip to the SOL! It would be better if we survive and both go up together the following season, with us finish 1st of course.

Agree with that Tony.
IF we had a good recruitment set up, then start bringing in our younger home grown players who are well coached then there is no reason why we have to spend vast amounts of money on a striker or any player.

Brilliant. Could you do everyone a favour and each time someone's moans we arnt spending a fortune on a striker, just cut and paste this.

Nothing wrong with that, but our recent success under Mapp was based around goals from everywhere so not relying on one player.
I think goals (which we are scoring) are the key, not just a person up top trying to bag them all. (sorry bazzer)

Off topic regarding OUFC just read what Sunderland paid Wigan for Will Grigg 4 million god they must have been desperate considering their 4th bid was 1.25 million and it was their 6th bid that mailed their transfer.
Crikey they have spent the same amount as our yearly budget on one player.
I thought someone on their board made a statement at the start of the season that this league is not about spending money, it's about good recruitment and management, fallen on his sword there.

Agree with that Tony.
IF we had a good recruitment set up, then start bringing in our younger home grown players who are well coached then there is no reason why we have to spend vast amounts of money on a striker or any player.

Or we could put some effort in to set pieces, aim for 15 goals a season and we wouldn’t have to spend big on a striker

Back
Top Bottom