General Greatest Ever OUFC Player

Most Standout Player of Their Generation (3 Votes)

• Cameron Brannagan

• James Constable

• Jim Magilton

• Joey Beauchamp

• John Aldridge

• John Lundstrum

• Kemar Roofe

• Matt Elliott

• Paul Simpson

• Trevor Hebbard

• Graham Atkinson

• Ray Houghton

• Ron Atkinson

Results are only viewable after voting.
It could easily have been more, Richard Knight won player of the season that year didn't he?
Yup. Kemp made KR look like Confucius. Kemp gave a RadOx interview after yet another defeat. Knight was injured for one of their many goals. Kemp actually said ( I paraphrase but he definitely said something like this). 'Knight went down like he'd been shot. I wish he had been shot. He might have played better'. And I'm pretty sure that after he was sacked, he gave an interview to a national paper when he said he'd been sacked because he was a 'cockney' and we were all 'snobs'. Denis Smith may have bought a lot of duff players, but Kemp made things so much worse. It was surprising we didn't go straight down the following season as well. I remember that not only were we hopelessly disorganised, but also very unfit.

That would have been 1998. We also had to wear Barnet's kit in 2005 when we didn't realise our black away kit clashed with their new home shirt.

Kits7.jpg

I remember Sheffield Wednesday wearing our shorts during one game at The Manor in the 80's as well, maybe 1985?
The match against Sheffield Wednesday where they wore our (white away) shorts was in March 1987. I was there. We did well - won 2-1.

Emi Martinez is probably our best ever player. The best player to play several games is likely Houghton, Hebbard, or Houghton. I might just plump for Houghton.

Our most celebrated is obviously and rightly dear Joey.

Was only 10yrs old at the time so not sure if these 3 featured together as a triple threat attack:

Bannister - Aylott - Druce 🤔

I think I started watching OUFC from 1989.

Last edited:
Does Les Phillips deserve some recognition? Altho not quite in that top bracket described but surprised he’s not been mentioned. He was the linchpin behind hebberd and houghton. Never gave the ball away and although not there to score goals scored two crucial ones against Villa in the cup and Everton in the league. Maybe I have a soft spot after meeting him before a game a few years back. Most down to earth guy ever, you’d have never known he was a top footballer.
Big banner at the League (Milk) Cup Final: “Phillips is Electric.”

It’s so difficult to pick a best ever player, because so many graced the turf at the manor, and a fair few at the Kassam.

I will pick two of my favourite goals, where I went ballistic, and ended up 5 rows forwards.

Fa cup away at Nottingham Forest. 1-1 a last minute corner floated in towards the near post Elliott flicked it on and Stuart Massey nodded it in. We went mental at the City Ground. I think Kevin Campbell scored for them, and we lost the replay 3-0, but what a night in Nottingham.

Another favourite goal. Paul Moody, vs a very good physical Huddersfield at the Manor. He ran it from near the tunnel at Beech Road, all the way past 4-5 players and slotted it in the corner in front of me in the London Road end. It was a joy watching Moods in full flow on one of them marauding runs. I think we won the game 3-1. So many Memories at the Manor Ground that will stick with me forever. God I miss that place so bad!

It’s so difficult to pick a best ever player, because so many graced the turf at the manor, and a fair few at the Kassam.

I will pick two of my favourite goals, where I went ballistic, and ended up 5 rows forwards.

Fa cup away at Nottingham Forest. 1-1 a last minute corner floated in towards the near post Elliott flicked it on and Stuart Massey nodded it in. We went mental at the City Ground. I think Kevin Campbell scored for them, and we lost the replay 3-0, but what a night in Nottingham.

Another favourite goal. Paul Moody, vs a very good physical Huddersfield at the Manor. He ran it from near the tunnel at Beech Road, all the way past 4-5 players and slotted it in the corner in front of me in the London Road end. It was a joy watching Moods in full flow on one of them marauding runs. I think we won the game 3-1. So many Memories at the Manor Ground that will stick with me forever. God I miss that place so bad!

Went to that Forest away game too as a young teen. Kept the football programme because I got it signed by Dominic Diamond from Gamesmaster who was in the seat in front!

No memory of why he was there 🤔

Yeah I remember that game, ho looked like a player who was avoiding injury because he knew he was going. I dont hold that against him, I believe he was promised a lot when he signed and nothing happened except he carried us every week. Did we ever pay for him? I seem to remember it mentioned we signed him but never paid.

Phil Gilchrist held it against him immediately after the final whistle as he blanked DW when DW offered his hand for a handshake. PG was not impressed. I think a few others blanked him as well.

Emi Martinez is probably our best ever player. The best player to play several games is likely Houghton, Hebbard, or Houghton. I might just plump for Houghton.

Our most celebrated is obviously and rightly dear Joey.
I meant Aldridge, Hebbard or Houghton!

When assessing greatness, i think it comes down to talent and contribution.

That's why i'll always struggle to look beyond Joey Beauchamp.

When assessing greatness, i think it comes down to talent and contribution.

That's why i'll always struggle to look beyond Joey Beauchamp.
You have to assess the level it was done at as well. John Aldridge scored 23 goals for us in the top flight, can you imagine how much he would be worth today? You'd be starting the conversation at £75Mil I would think. Trevor Hebberd was bossing top-flight games, Ray Houghton was putting in star performances.

Taking nothing away from Joey Beauchamp, the bloke is an absolute legend and the displays and goals he provided for our club have rightly gone down in folklore. Would have loved to see him properly in the top flight - he certainly had the ability. He was coming through at the same time as Darren Anderton at Portsmouth, and was easily as good.

Back
Top Bottom