OUFC @ Scunthorpe - weird, just weird!

If you rewind a month , we would of all gladly took the position we are in now ! The bigger picture looks slightly brighter !!

We've picked up 10 points from our last 6 games conceding a penalty and the 3 today in a mad 6 minutes. By any standard, that's a decent run. By our previous standards, it's a huge step forward.

Of course it feels like a missed opportunity today, but to use this result to reignite previous moans is bizarre. Had we drawn 0-0 or 1-1 we would have accepted it as a fair result. The 3 goals flattered both sides and only create the illusion that we were bossing the game for the first hour or that we were destroyed for the last 30 minutes. The reality is that it was a fairly even contest and a point we wouldn't have got a month ago.

Positives:
First two goals were really well worked, and none of the three were speculative strikes like we've been seeing
Did well to defend the point after conceding the third considering their momentum
Unbeaten run endures

Negatives:
Didn't win despite being 0-3 up. Obviously
Poor game management, especially after conceding 1st+2nd. Should have slowed it right down for 5mins
Worse than dropping two points is the impact this could have mentally, a win + out of relegation zone would have made a big difference heading into the league break. Also won't help defending leads in future if this sticks in the lads' minds

What is amazing is that we are still in the bottom four and two points adrift. Bristol Rovers somehow do what we should have managed.
We have no problem scoring but our defence is sometimes laughable.
Yet all of us would probably take a 3-3 before the game.
Positives must be Brannigan scoring. Nelson chips in too.
Dickie must be due a suspension soon and many fans see him as the weakest link.
Thank God god Eastwood as I’m sure without him we’d be bottom

What you on about? Dickie wasn't at fault for any of the goals. If anything Eastwood should have done better and we shouldn't be conceding stupid free kicks around the penalty area.

When we were 3-0 or 3-1 up we should have taken off forwards and put on defenders and kept the ball in possession for fifteen minute or so.
Hopefully two cup games will provide a welcome distraction

I fully agree that we are in with a chance of scrapping it out until the end. Is this though what tiger had in mind, when he gave robinson the budget he did?
The recruitment of Robinson’s players in the summer is perplexing, with Caruthers
Out for 6 to 12 weeks again, Holmes struggling to play the number of games, Mackie able to complete around 60 mins at full pace and Brown “managing” an injury.
Arguably the first three are some of our top earners, eating a large part of the budget. There is though the other side of the coin, did robinson get the budget he was initially promised?
Thohir(sp) is rumoured to nearly be on board, so maybe our Christmas comes in January. Something needs to happen, because those fans that were there today do not deserve the kind of capitulation we saw today.
Have you heard an update on this? Because I’m starting to have real doubts this is ever going to happen now. We were told two or three weeks ago that there was a minor paperwork hitch but that it was imminent, since then it’s all gone very quiet.

Think Jerome said the situation has changed because it's himself and not one of his associates now so the paperwork needs to start again or something.

We were cruising at 3-0. They then scored a luckyish 1st goal from a free kick. Ball went through about 4 players. 2nd goal was a sweet free kick. Not much we can do about that. Then we panicked and typically ball fell perfectly for someone to lash home. Just one of those crazy football things. I don't think it was bad defending just we were a bit unlucky.

Honestly can't see this happening again, our defence is experienced enough to be able to learn from these kind of errors. They'll be working hard on it in the week no doubt, keep your heads up people.

If it happens again then we have an issue. Right now though it’s just one of those freak results that luckily don’t happen very often, although I’ve seen it a fair few times over the years with oxford!

I thought we were excellent for most of the game, just individual errors cost us at silly times.

On a side note, to the group of lads trying to get the atmosphere going in the first half, shouting sing up you C***s at your own fans isn’t likely going to work.

Nearly happened to Tottenham against Wolves. 3-0 up, then Wolves scored one, then two and in the end Wolves deserved a point. Wolves also had a good goal turned down and a couple of one on ones which they should have done better. Yesterday the momentum turned in Scunthorpe’s favour for those 6 mins. Just think it was good that we managed to stem the tide and get a point in the end which I think most of us would have taken before the game even though if feels like 2 points dropped.

Last edited:
What you on about? Dickie wasn't at fault for any of the goals. If anything Eastwood should have done better and we shouldn't be conceding stupid free kicks around the penalty area.
I'm not convinced we were giving free kicks away. The one that Scunthorpe scored from is as soft a free kick as you'll ever see.

I think that we consistently fade badly as games go on, with some of the older/less fit members of the team being particularly prone to doing so. I also think we lack effective leadership on the pitch (and maybe off it, but that's a different discussion!).

Maybe at 3-0, they started thinking about joining Robbie Hall in Dubai.
That would explain the first goal maybe, but 3 in 6 mins..? That’s why I don’t buy Robinson’s ‘arrogance’ comment. I’m struggling to remember the last time the wheels came off so spectacularly

Think you can tell who commenting on this thread was at the game, and who wasn’t.

Very, very frustrating not to win from 3-0 up, but it was one of those freak things. For the most part we played well. Hey-ho

Let’s hope so.. I admit to not being there and bow to all those who made the trip and accept that they’ll know more than me.

I did listen to it on the radio though and even Jerome and Nick were quite lost for an explanation.

Their player pinging a free kick right into the top corner seconds after their first goal can’t be legislated for admittedly. Didn’t he score against us at Wembley?

Just me who thought Browne didn't look bothered? One time in the 20minutes he played I remember him getting forward with the ball and running at defender and that was on the counter that he ended up getting crowded out and list the ball instead of playing it to Whyte who would've been 1on1 with a defender.

Half arsed in the tackle and left Ruffels exposed 2on1 a few times.

Just a thought but maybe he was unhappy starting on the bench after scoring last week when Holmes is clearly not 100% and still starts instead.

Back
Top Bottom