Manager/Coach Life After Manning - New Manager Search

Who do you want as the next OUFC manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite a big difference in Clotet and especially Diaz to Buckingham, might take Des a while to get used to the silly new road system but I am sure he can remember his way around his home town.

He has coached at this very club, it’s a bit strange to make out that he has zero knowledge of English football when he was here well into his twenties, it’s not going to be alien to him.
Des is the only candidate with OUFC experience.

Fact.

Quite a big difference in Clotet and especially Diaz to Buckingham, might take Des a while to get used to the silly new road system but I am sure he can remember his way around his home town.

He has coached at this very club, it’s a bit strange to make out that he has zero knowledge of English football when he was here well into his twenties, it’s not going to be alien to him.
At least he will have a car over here and not A tut tut

Only time will tell if Des will be a success or not, but certainly at face value he seems like the right guy to pick up where Manning has left off.

Credit where credit is due to the board for getting this done so quickly!

Yeah sure. I’ve been following football for well over 30 years and have an interest in other teams as well as Oxford and I just personally think and have seen managers who have recent familiar experience with English league footy at the same level as opposed to international experience logically have a shorter adjustment period to make and given the league position it’s massively important to capitalise on that. I’m not saying Des wouldn’t be good long term appointment but I believe Crofts, Williams, Eustace etc. could hit the ground running and have more chance getting us over the line for promotion. I hope I’m completely wrong as all I want is for us to get out of this league and kick on. I was fairly happy when Manning was appointed cos he knew the league pretty much inside out but someone coming from a completely different level will nearly always have the transition to make.
Partly makes sense, if the new manager was coming from India and was Indian and had never coached outside his country before it probably means more. Buckingham has coached with us for a decade and had a year at Stoke so he's not exactly wet behind the ears himself. Plays a similar style as Manning so not as much upheaval there as there could have been under someone else plus Short etc will remain here for even more continuity. You mention experience and Crofts, has he ever managed a club? I'm not sure being at a Premier League club for a few years in the youth team is better experience than actually managing yourself when all the decision ultimately come down to you.
I remember the Pep Clotet and Diaz appointments and although that’s not exactly the same of course it feels like it’s an unnecessary risk. Having said all that I’ll support him to the hilt and couldn’t be more happy if he does churn out wins and keep us in the promotion places.
Great example here. Clotet had been at Swansea for a year then had a couple of seasons at Leeds and was very highly regarded with recent experience in the English game, he came here and was completely crap. Ramon Diaz had only ever managed in Argentina, didn't speak the language and came in and completely transformed us. I think he might have been our last manager before Manning to win manager of the month?

There's no guarantee Buckingham will be a success just like there's no guarantee anyone would but i personally don't get the lack of League One experience, especially when other candidates haven't even been a manager before which seems far more pertinent, and even then I'd have been happy enough with someone like a Crofts or McCarthy.

Yeah sure. I’ve been following football for well over 30 years and have an interest in other teams as well as Oxford and I just personally think and have seen managers who have recent familiar experience with English league footy at the same level as opposed to international experience logically have a shorter adjustment period to make and given the league position it’s massively important to capitalise on that. I’m not saying Des wouldn’t be good long term appointment but I believe Crofts, Williams, Eustace etc. could hit the ground running and have more chance getting us over the line for promotion. I hope I’m completely wrong as all I want is for us to get out of this league and kick on. I was fairly happy when Manning was appointed cos he knew the league pretty much inside out but someone coming from a completely different level will nearly always have the transition to make. I remember the Pep Clotet and Diaz appointments and although that’s not exactly the same of course it feels like it’s an unnecessary risk. Having said all that I’ll support him to the hilt and couldn’t be more happy if he does churn out wins and keep us in the promotion places.
Don’t forget though that Short is still there and he’d be a mug not to lean heavily on him in the early days, if Des is as good as we think he’s not going to be revising our playing style from day one, more a case of gentle tweaking I’d have thought.

Yeah sure. I’ve been following football for well over 30 years and have an interest in other teams as well as Oxford and I just personally think and have seen managers who have recent familiar experience with English league footy at the same level as opposed to international experience logically have a shorter adjustment period to make and given the league position it’s massively important to capitalise on that. I’m not saying Des wouldn’t be good long term appointment but I believe Crofts, Williams, Eustace etc. could hit the ground running and have more chance getting us over the line for promotion. I hope I’m completely wrong as all I want is for us to get out of this league and kick on. I was fairly happy when Manning was appointed cos he knew the league pretty much inside out but someone coming from a completely different level will nearly always have the transition to make. I remember the Pep Clotet and Diaz appointments and although that’s not exactly the same of course it feels like it’s an unnecessary risk. Having said all that I’ll support him to the hilt and couldn’t be more happy if he does churn out wins and keep us in the promotion places.
I think the ‘recent familiar experience’ is a bit of a red herring considering he’s the closest match of the four to our current style of play.

Crofts has zero experience of being a manager, which is not to say it’s bad, but it’s odd you use him as an example of ‘experience’ compared to Buckingham. Williams from all accounts plays a more attacking style, and Eustice at Birmingham was more direct. I think all three would have taken time to adjust, so I can’t buy the argument that Buckingham would take longer to settle in. In my eyes, he is the continuity candidate.

Whilst Des hasn’t managed in League One before, it’s not like he’s totally ignorant to the division, nor do you forget how to coach and prepare players just because you’re playing Bolton instead of Bengaluru. He also has scouts and analysts, and will have a team of coaches to help him, so I don’t think him not managing in England before really makes much of a difference.

Must have been asked before so sorry if I missed it but did des support/ have interest in OUFC growing up. He's from Kidlington right?
Cowley.

He used to play football with my son and I would sometimes pick him up and take him to games/training.

Modesty prevents me from saying that I taught him all he knows, other than a few style and grooming tips obviously........

Partly makes sense, if the new manager was coming from India and was Indian and had never coached outside his country before it probably means more. Buckingham has coached with us for a decade and had a year at Stoke so he's not exactly wet behind the ears himself. Plays a similar style as Manning so not as much upheaval there as there could have been under someone else plus Short etc will remain here for even more continuity. You mention experience and Crofts, has he ever managed a club? I'm not sure being at a Premier League club for a few years in the youth team is better experience than actually managing yourself when all the decision ultimately come down to you.

Great example here. Clotet had been at Swansea for a year then had a couple of seasons at Leeds and was very highly regarded with recent experience in the English game, he came here and was completely crap. Ramon Diaz had only ever managed in Argentina, didn't speak the language and came in and completely transformed us. I think he might have been our last manager before Manning to win manager of the month?

There's no guarantee Buckingham will be a success just like there's no guarantee anyone would but i personally don't get the lack of League One experience, especially when other candidates haven't even been a manager before which seems far more pertinent, and even then I'd have been happy enough with someone like a Crofts or McCarthy.

Pep Guardiola has no league one experience but I reckon he might of got the job over Steve Cotterill. It narrows the field down if you only look at those who have managed in the third tier, worked with Manning although he only had a year and a half, whereas by the end with Robinson his experience at this level, among the most anyone has ever had, was like a millstone as he was so jaded by it that he barely went through the motions and cost us a fortune.

I would rather have someone excited by the opportunity to manage us than someone who is just trying to eke out time in football management.

Cowley.

He used to play football with my son and I would sometimes pick him up and take him to games/training.

Modesty prevents me from saying that I taught him all he knows, other than a few style and grooming tips obviously........
Obviously!!

Cowley.

But will he be able to adapt to the cultural differences between Cowley and Greater Leys?

But will he be able to adapt to the cultural differences between Cowley and Greater Leys?
Cowley.

Really boring question but do you know what school he went to? Wondering if he went to the same one as my daughter.

Yes but I challenge anyone to find an example of a League 1 team being taken over by a manager who’s coached an Australasian U23 team and Indian prem league team! I’m not saying he’s got zero knowledge. Again people twisting words! Just saying he’s got a longer adjustment period in my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom