Ex-Staff A Bristol City Fan - U's Thoughts On Liam Manning

So you steal something, and then come back to complain about it?

b****r off with ya....
I stole nothing. No one wanted him at our club except a playboy trust fund boy who has been made chairman by his billionaire father! Iโ€™d have Pearson back in a heartbeat as would nearly everyone else. This bloke is as foisted on us as much as his loss was on you!

Hang on, heโ€™s not started that badly - a win and a draw plus the two narrow defeats. And Bristol City always seem to be stuck in 14th, Iโ€™m not sure what youโ€™re expecting?
What most were expecting was the bloke who dragged us out of a massive loss, FFP points deductions, got rid of the dross and played our youngsters not to get sacked on the whim of a playboy who is going to give this bloke a good load of the 40m brought in by Pearson to spend on players we didnโ€™t need until he arrived to pass the ball around at the back and go nowhere. Iโ€™m all for giving him a chance now but your loss is our loss!

What most were expecting was the bloke who dragged us out of a massive loss, FFP points deductions, got rid of the dross and played our youngsters not to get sacked on the whim of a playboy who is going to give this bloke a good load of the 40m brought in by Pearson to spend on players we didnโ€™t need until he arrived to pass the ball around at the back and go nowhere. Iโ€™m all for giving him a chance now but your loss is our loss!

Someone who doesn't like the chairman and wants the old manager back doesn't sound like they're all for giving Manning a chance!

He's a decent manager, but still very early in his career to say whether or not he'll get success at Bristol (or anywhere else for that matter). He played a good style of football whilst also looking tight at the back. He will win more than he loses as a manager whatever he goes.

He's not the most engaging of personalities, and the way he left Oxford showed a real lack of class. But most of the negativity towards him has only come out since he left, there wasn't many critical voices whilst he was here.

I honestly don't care if he succeeds or not at Bristol City. He left Oxford without a care in the world for us, and I'm happy not to have any thoughts for him either.

I thought he was great for us and would have had a great outcome at the end of the season in my opinion.
Kept us up, excellent transfer window, would have added quality this January and then had a fantastic chance of a first promotion on his CV.
So , his player care, attention to detail and recruitment I thought was excellent. Not really sure whether he will b a success or not at Bristol city. If heโ€™s allowed to recruit and get full control then I canโ€™t see why not.

He certainly did well for us, and whilst I donโ€™t wish him a bad time at Bristol City, I do wonder how long his new association with City will last.
All in all he has made some good signings for us, Leigh, certainly is a stand out for us, although currently injured.
I do hope he doesnโ€™t return to the club to lure players away. Leaving us on a sour note was not professional, but to rub salt in the wounds after heโ€™s gone would certainly annoy many here who see the club moving forward after many years with a new ground on the horizon.
Hopefully all that has gone on will benefit both clubs.

Surely it is a bit early to be questioning Manning.
It sounds as if the 2 losses could have both been wins ( results matter, but maybe not far away).
I reckon Manning could do very well at Bristol City IF he is given the time. At Oxford he didn't win any if his first 7 games ( we has been awful beforehand but during that period played Morecambe and Port Vale). We know how he did with one Sumner transfer window)
Bristol have a load if injuries as we know and Manning will need a summer of recruitment to show what he can do.
If the atmosphere becomes too toxic it will make it pretty difficult though.

I think the outcome would be far funnier for OUFC (assuming Manning gets his payout either way and weโ€™re not cheering his economic misery etc etc) if we stop this sort of silly thinking.

Time for Bristol City to consider their options imo.

I have no issues with Bristol City and think you are a proud and very good club. I come to this with no axe to grind and fear you may be right. My view is that you obviously need to give him time (you've got no choice) but the appointment is a surprise one. He will buy some decent players but I cant see you taking the league by storm to be honest over the next few years. He is too early into his career and too inexperienced. I actually think we've traded up with Des.

It sounds as if the 2 losses could have both been wins ( results matter, but maybe not far away).
I reckon Manning could do very well at Bristol City IF he is given the time. At Oxford he didn't win any if his first 7 games ( we has been awful beforehand but during that period played Morecambe and Port Vale). We know how he did with one Sumner transfer window)
Bristol have a load if injuries as we know and Manning will need a summer of recruitment to show what he can do.
If the atmosphere becomes too toxic it will make it pretty difficult though.

The major difference is that (in taking over at Bristol City) Manning replaced a well-liked, mild-mannered manager with a track-record at the top of the English game - seemingly doing a pretty decent job in difficult conditions (selling best players etc).

If, as with us, he'd replaced an abrasive chancer with an uninspiring track record who had massively overstayed his welcome in no small part due to the appalling job he was doing in otherwise excellent conditions (healthy budget, stability etc) then of course it could have been a lot tougher for him.

Context is everything.

The major difference is that (in taking over at Bristol City) Manning replaced a well-liked, mild-mannered manager with a track-record at the top of the English game - seemingly doing a pretty decent job in difficult conditions (selling best players etc).

If, as with us, he'd replaced an abrasive chancer with an uninspiring track record who had massively overstayed his welcome in no small part due to the appalling job he was doing in otherwise excellent conditions (healthy budget, stability etc) then of course it could have been a lot tougher for him.

Context is everything.
I don't know a great deal about Pearson but is he generally considered to be mild-mannered?

I have no idea to be honest but the two things I instantly think of in relation to Pearson are Ostrich's:

And this!

1701875232636.png

Context is everything.
Not sure that anybody would call Pearson mild mannered .
I appreciate the difference, but even so in my view judging a manager after what 4 games is ridiculous

I say burn him.

Or give him the freedom of Bristol.

I don't know a great deal about Pearson but is he generally considered to be mild-mannered?

I have no idea to be honest but the two things I instantly think of in relation to Pearson are Ostrich's:

And this!

View attachment 17052
Spot on. Utter prick. Always seems to have rage just below the surface.

Liam Manning needs to WIN tonight to avoid having the worst opening 6 matches- points-wise- of the last 8 Bristol City Manager/Head Coach
Coach๐™ˆ๐™˜๐™„๐™ฃ๐™ฃ๐™š๐™จ๐™จ/๐™ƒ๐™ค๐™ก๐™™๐™š๐™ฃ- 13
Pearson 10
Johnson, Cotterill, O'Driscoll- 9
Johnson 6
Manning 5

I thought he was great for us and would have had a great outcome at the end of the season in my opinion.
Kept us up, excellent transfer window, would have added quality this January and then had a fantastic chance of a first promotion on his CV.
So , his player care, attention to detail and recruitment I thought was excellent. Not really sure whether he will b a success or not at Bristol city. If heโ€™s allowed to recruit and get full control then I hope not.

Corrected that for you.

Back
Top Bottom