Ex-Staff A Bristol City Fan - U's Thoughts On Liam Manning

Headington hillbilly

Bristol City fan
I’m a Bristol City supporter that lived in Headington for many years and went to both the Manor and The Kasam on many occasions.

I need some help here. Manning seems to be completely clueless and is replacing the most popular manager that we have had in 50 years.

Other than the fact he’s a snake, what are the thoughts on this bloke. Supporters in Bristol are already singing songs to fire him after four games and the Lansdowns to get out. I’m at a loss to see what anyone sees/saw in him! He seems like a poor man’s Lee Johnson on steroids!

I’m a Bristol City supporter that lived in Headington for many years and went to both the Manor and The Kasam on many occasions.

I need some help here. Manning seems to be completely clueless and is replacing the most popular manager that we have had in 50 years.

Other than the fact he’s a snake, what are the thoughts on this bloke. Supporters in Bristol are already singing songs to fire him after four games and the Lansdowns to get out. I’m at a loss to see what anyone sees/saw in him! He seems like a poor man’s Lee Johnson on steroids!
Well you’ll get lots of responses! He did very well for us, kept us up, recruited well in the summer and got us to second. But he played a quite dull unadventurous style that was I imagine ‘advanced’ and has a really boring voice and manner. There’s a suspicion that he wouldn’t do so well if things were going wrong, he needs to be in control the whole time and isn’t one for fiery passion.

Has a style of football that takes time to implement, but proved effective for us after a full pre-season when he was given a chance to bring in players that suited. Starts with the defensive fundamentals of keeping things tight and playing a coordinated high pressing style. Eventually from doing so can create more opportunities from chances from opponents mistakes, or by retaining possession until the chance to pass quickly and break into an attack.

Hard to go into many more details as was a fairly short spell.

Think he'll do fine for you - either because you give him time or you sack him and pay him a decent amount of compensation.

The way he left us will lead to revisionism from some on here.

He did enough to keep us up when it looked likely we would be in a massive relegation scrap. We didn’t exactly become world beaters and some of it was down to four teams below us barely picking up any points at all but staying up was sufficient. We simply stayed ahead of those who could have caught us. We became hard to beat at first and then won two key matches in our final three games. Mission accomplished in his first couple of months for Manning.

With the recruitment team in the summer, Manning got it 80% there. Short of a couple positions which we know we need to fill in January, he got us playing a decent, possession-based, high press style. On occasions, it’s been impressive. On others, we’ve been found out in physical battles. In the main, it’s worked though.

As for the person, we’ve gone from an exhausting motormouth in Karl Robinson to an automated robot in Manning. It’s a hell of a gear switch and took some getting used to. Every pre and post match interview was identical to the point of becoming boring. Still, you judge him in results and he got them here. Who cares what ManningGPT has to say after a win, draw or defeat?

His sneaky exit left a sour taste after the club has made a number of adjustments for him to come here. Not many wish him much luck or well in his role when he could have stayed to actually achieve something in his short career. I can’t say for certain whether he’ll succeed at Bristol City. I don’t think anyone will care here if he does. I can see plenty enjoying the schadenfreude if he doesn’t though.

He's had one goodseason in his entire career and made the play-offs at MK Dons but was sacked the following season and that team, his team, ultimately went down to league two.

He was on the footballing scrapheap until we gave him another shot at league one level. When he was appointed I said it was a reward for failure. He did well for us considering out position when he joined compared to when he left.

His historical connections to The City Group clearly continues to seduce boards and undeservingly opens doors for him.

Last edited:
Thanks fellas. Some of that helps. Defensively we didn’t concede many. He comes in and now we do.

His possession tip tapping is boring enough, but you have to have the players. From what I’m reading, the t**t has one way to play, his way, regardless of the skill set he has at his disposal.

This is Lee Johnson all over again and the club ownership are preparing to shower him with the money Pearson brought in for Scott and Semenyo that they denied Pearson.

As I said I was a towny for many years and have decent knowledge of Oxford United and the problems with dumb ass ownership but this bloke may not even make January if he doesn’t get some results. I have never known a crowd starting to get hostile toward a manager after four games, but if you fancy some schadenfreude go on OTIB City fans forum. And don’t be scared to say what you think!

Basically plays a low block in defence which means you surrender possession of the ball but its actually hard to break down, not everyones cup of tea.

You can have 1 half where you totally dominate a side without scoring more than 1 goal which then puts any team in with a chance of beating you when your 1 half of dominance is over.

For Manning i think he likes to have control over a team in and out of possession more than actually winning a game of football by scoring plenty of goals.

He's had one goodseason in his entire career and made the play-offs at MK Dons but was sacked the following season and that team, his team, ultimately went down to league two.

He was on the footballing scrapheap until we gave him another shot at league one level. When he was appointed said it was a reward for failure. He did well for us considering out position when he joined compared to when he left.

His historical connections to The City Group clearly continues to seduce boards and undeservingly opens doors for him.
The City Group? Fill me in. Who are they?

Bristol City supporters seem to have taken to LM

All responses to interviews and his on the field tactics seem to have struck a chord.

Fair play to LM, and best of luck to him, in the new year when he’s given his P45.

His start was effective, he kept us up, just. If we’d kept Robinson, we’d have gone down.
He was backed massively during the summer by the Oxford board and has managed to bring in some real class. As has been said we still need more firepower up front, but as a team we’ve scored plenty. His style of play though involves plenty of tippy-tappy building from the back. Get a goal and he’s happy to sit back and soak up pressure.
I think one of the major gripes has been that he was able to bring in players to the club with promises of how we will play and what we hope to achieve. The team start to play cohesively then he gets a sniff of the Championship and he’s off like junkie with a bag of smack. No goodbyes to his players, who came in based on his promises. He cleared his s**t and fucked off like a coward. I personally was amazed that an established Championship side would go for him based on the results we’ve had this season, he has nothing of note on his CV. If he gets the push, I think a lot of people here will be thinking it’s karma.

Thanks for the cash for him, we used it to appoint someone who is both more tactically exciting and also devilishly handsome to boot.
Watch out for the coming interviews with Manning, if he says "trusssssst in me" while looking hard at the camera then for God's sake look away.

I've got to be honest. Having Manning as a manager was like having a robot in charge. Bloody boring and while his football was excellent at times it soon turned into a snore fest of passing sideways and backwards at snails pace.

His career he has won nothing, got the sack , jumped ship. Boring robot ,new manager text book speak. Tippy tappy football going nowhere, no oomph to attack, when in control. Interested about him self , if a bigger club comes he'll be gone . No loyalty or integrity, just perfect bad behaviours....
BYE👋👋

Thanks fellas. Some of that helps. Defensively we didn’t concede many. He comes in and now we do.

His possession tip tapping is boring enough, but you have to have the players. From what I’m reading, the t**t has one way to play, his way, regardless of the skill set he has at his disposal.

This is Lee Johnson all over again and the club ownership are preparing to shower him with the money Pearson brought in for Scott and Semenyo that they denied Pearson.

As I said I was a towny for many years and have decent knowledge of Oxford United and the problems with dumb ass ownership but this bloke may not even make January if he doesn’t get some results. I have never known a crowd starting to get hostile toward a manager after four games, but if you fancy some schadenfreude go on OTIB City fans forum. And don’t be scared to say what you think!
Hang on, he’s not started that badly - a win and a draw plus the two narrow defeats. And Bristol City always seem to be stuck in 14th, I’m not sure what you’re expecting?

Thanks for the cash for him, we used it to appoint someone who is both more tactically exciting and also devilishly handsome to boot.
Watch out for the coming interviews with Manning, if he says "trusssssst in me" while looking hard at the camera then for God's sake look away.
Can we please stop pretending he isn't a very mid looking fella. Compared to most football managers maybe he is up there but in general terms...

Back
Top Bottom