Ex Player Kane Hemmings

Clare could have suited us very well in the last few games hope he comes back in next season.

These people who say “always thought he was a good striker“” !!!!! If one of those can dig me a post up from around the time we got rid of him saying exactly this then, fair enough, I’ll tip my hat and say you saw something I - and many others - didn’t.

Hemmings, in my opinion, did absolutely nothing in his time here to suggest he could be more than the one in two striker he currently is in L1.

More importantly from our perspective does anyone know how Clare is getting on?

Most booked player in League One with 10 yellows, following 4 bookings in 8 games at Burton.

Does seem to be well thought of as he went straight back into their side after his 2 game ban.

I'm.not sure he has played a huge amount as a box to box midfield player before but that is where Burton ate playing him.
He had played there. At least enough that Sheff Weds called him a midfielder and both Accrington & Gillingham described him as a midfielder when they signed him on loan. Equally Hearts signed him and called him a midfielder. Definitely played there and was seen as his strongest position at Hearts. Then they tried him at right-back which coincided with the point we were scouting him and decided to sign him as a right-back.
General Hearts fans reviews when we signed him was that he wasn't a right-back and was much better in midfield.

Last edited:
Given we have not really been playing with pace going forward i don't see how Clare would be making any difference.

On Saturdays game he would be more suited to Hull than us

it's the lose a game scenario again where missing players most of whom have been criticized on here suddenly become better players and missing links.

He had played there. At least enough that Sheff Weds called him a midfielder and both Accrington & Gillingham described him as a midfielder when they signed him on loan. Equally Hearts signed him and called him a midfielder. Definitely played there and was seen as his strongest position at Hearts. Then they tried him at right-back which coincided with the point we were scouting him and decided to sign him as a right-back.
General Hearts fans reviews when we signed him was that he wasn't a right-back and was much better in midfield.
Clare wore the number 9 shirt for Hearts at one point and was essentially an attacking mid. Was even their penalty taker for a while. We do seem to enjoy trying to be overly clever and changing people’s positions from time to time. Hanson’s a right back. Forde, too. Sykes is... well, we still don’t really know where Sykes plays, but he was largely a number 10 in Ireland. We had Henry playing at holding midfield a year or two ago and had a big speech before the game about how that was where he would end up, and it lasted 45 minutes. Mackie was only ever a winger (whose legs had gone) before he turned up here and got turned into a clogging centre forward. Obviously we know that Agyei is a winger - how could we forget. Sometimes it really is a lot easier to just put round pegs in round holes. Saves a lot of time and hassle and you don’t have to spend months watching both player and team suffer while they effectively retrain on the job. Some can transition fairly well and some can’t, and even some of the ones who can aren’t necessarily happy about doing so. Especially the ones who are sold one thing before choosing the club over others, only to then be told they’re going to be retrained once the ink is dry. It’s like picking one company to work for over another because the role sounds great and suits your skill set, and then you turn up and they’ve moved you to another department doing something you have little or no experience in. If you want a player for a certain position I’m a big fan of just signing one.

Re Hemmings he scored 15 goals for us in his first season, it was just that most of them were in the cups so they’re often forgotten. They won’t show up on Wikipedia where most people go to check stats. Strangely we actually had someone who exclusively drilled crosses along the six yard box in Johnson, and yet Hemmings never really got a sustained run of games starting with him. Thomas was often in the way for the first few months before he did his Achilles and then Martinez and McAleny showed up in January. Plus we had the very young Tyler Roberts and a very abused Ryan Taylor in the first half of the season, who would often limit Hemmings’ minutes further. That goal at Rotherham in the FA Cup, where Johnson whipped a peach of a cross in and Hemmings side footed it into the net, was a thing of beauty. Can’t even tell you how many times that season Johnson fizzed a worldie of a ball across the face of goal and nobody was there, only for Hemmings to be on the sidelines with his hands on his head. Always found it odd that Martinez scored 3 in 17 and had a song that people would sing 10 times a game, while Hemmings was our second top scorer with 15 and was kind of shrugged at. Fair play to Martinez for going on to get a move to Porto but I never thought he was that much cop while he was here. That’s all I can judge him on - he wasn’t all that in yellow. He definitely had the raw ingredients and his two FA Cup goals were good fun, but he wasn’t hugely effective overall. Like Mackie, people seemed to enjoy singing his name first and watching his contributions second.

Not saying Hemmings is the second coming, by the way. For whatever reason he just didn’t fully settle here, and it seems clear now that he had a lot going on away from the pitch. That said he did only spend one season here before being loaned out for the rest of his contract, and scored 15 times during his stay. I don’t think anyone can class that as a washout. We’ve only had a player score more than 15 goals once since then, which was Taylor with 17 last season. Just one of those weird situations where it doesn’t quite click, despite the fact that he actually did pretty well. Sometimes it doesn’t work out and it’s hard to know why. Football is weird.

Jack Midson, though. Well... we should never have let him go.

Didn’t do enough for us though did he. Quickly shown the door as well which says it all.
Not sure what more a winger can do, the only games Karl played him on the wing he created goals and performed well in all of them. Then shipped him out just as he was hitting form on the wing for us, not remotely surprised he's still playing well in midfield for Burton. I hope he comes back and settles into a right wing option for us next season and that he picks up where he left off. Should never have been judged whilst playing out of position, just like I'm not judging Forde's ability whilst he covers at right back, we know he's a decent midfielder.

• React
Reactions: ljs
Always thought Hemmings had ability, he was a finisher and had decent movement but we only fed him looped crosses and cr*p service whilst he played for us. Barely ever put him through 1 on 1 which was his speciality at Dundee.

Clare wore the number 9 shirt for Hearts at one point and was essentially an attacking mid. Was even their penalty taker for a while. We do seem to enjoy trying to be overly clever and changing people’s positions from time to time. Hanson’s a right back. Forde, too. Sykes is... well, we still don’t really know where Sykes plays, but he was largely a number 10 in Ireland. We had Henry playing at holding midfield a year or two ago and had a big speech before the game about how that was where he would end up, and it lasted 45 minutes. Mackie was only ever a winger (whose legs had gone) before he turned up here and got turned into a clogging centre forward. Obviously we know that Agyei is a winger - how could we forget. Sometimes it really is a lot easier to just put round pegs in round holes. Saves a lot of time and hassle and you don’t have to spend months watching both player and team suffer while they effectively retrain on the job. Some can transition fairly well and some can’t, and even some of the ones who can aren’t necessarily happy about doing so. Especially the ones who are sold one thing before choosing the club over others, only to then be told they’re going to be retrained once the ink is dry. It’s like picking one company to work for over another because the role sounds great and suits your skill set, and then you turn up and they’ve moved you to another department doing something you have little or no experience in. If you want a player for a certain position I’m a big fan of just signing one.

Re Hemmings he scored 15 goals for us in his first season, it was just that most of them were in the cups so they’re often forgotten. They won’t show up on Wikipedia where most people go to check stats. Strangely we actually had someone who exclusively drilled crosses along the six yard box in Johnson, and yet Hemmings never really got a sustained run of games starting with him. Thomas was often in the way for the first few months before he did his Achilles and then Martinez and McAleny showed up in January. Plus we had the very young Tyler Roberts and a very abused Ryan Taylor in the first half of the season, who would often limit Hemmings’ minutes further. That goal at Rotherham in the FA Cup, where Johnson whipped a peach of a cross in and Hemmings side footed it into the net, was a thing of beauty. Can’t even tell you how many times that season Johnson fizzed a worldie of a ball across the face of goal and nobody was there, only for Hemmings to be on the sidelines with his hands on his head. Always found it odd that Martinez scored 3 in 17 and had a song that people would sing 10 times a game, while Hemmings was our second top scorer with 15 and was kind of shrugged at. Fair play to Martinez for going on to get a move to Porto but I never thought he was that much cop while he was here. That’s all I can judge him on - he wasn’t all that in yellow. He definitely had the raw ingredients and his two FA Cup goals were good fun, but he wasn’t hugely effective overall. Like Mackie, people seemed to enjoy singing his name first and watching his contributions second.

Not saying Hemmings is the second coming, by the way. For whatever reason he just didn’t fully settle here, and it seems clear now that he had a lot going on away from the pitch. That said he did only spend one season here before being loaned out for the rest of his contract, and scored 15 times during his stay. I don’t think anyone can class that as a washout. We’ve only had a player score more than 15 goals once since then, which was Taylor with 17 last season. Just one of those weird situations where it doesn’t quite click, despite the fact that he actually did pretty well. Sometimes it doesn’t work out and it’s hard to know why. Football is weird.

Jack Midson, though. Well... we should never have let him go.
Couldn't agree more with this post.

Points in bold:
1) Yep, was my frustration throughout that season as well. Hemmings was given just the 22 league starts.
I remember my annoyance after he scored that goal at Rotherham after coming on as a sub, scored a hat-trick in the EFL Trophy on the Tuesday and then was "rewarded" with a place on the bench away at Wimbledon in the next league game.
We'd not scored in the two league games prior and he'd just scored 4 goals in 2 games in 4 days, yet still didn't start.

2) Fantastic goal and one I used a lot at the time and still do to show how brilliant goals at our level can be.

It doesn't surprise me that he has now had a decent season at this level although I feel our all round play has moved beyond the ability of his all around contribution so I'm hardly shouting that we should have him at front.
More defending his "legacy" with us which for whatever reason seems to be just dismissed as "only scored in the cups so it doesn't count type approach"

He was shipped out so often, he hardly got a run of games. That Christmas when some felt he could have made a difference, if recalled in the windowcould have been his chance.
Anyway irrelevant really, the number of goals he has this season shows what he is capable of in the right setting, with the right manager.

Cripes he really is being remembered with rose tinted glasses . He looked slow, small but could score a goal if given the chance so not an all round forward but a poacher type .
Throw in an injury or two as well didnt help him no doubt.
Don't think many were suprised when he was let go but nice to see he is having a good season with Burton.

How does JFH manage to get all these players playing so well when at Burton in both spells there but has been shite/mediocre at any other English club he has managed at?

If you have any one player playing as a striker, you have to play to their strengths
Taylor looks isolated a lot of the time and his strengths are 1 in 1 or crosses fizzed in
The same could be said of Hemings, the difference is goals per chances ratio the higher level you play at the fewer chances you get

Back
Top Bottom