Ex Player Herbie Kane

I'd agree 100% with the analysis other than the bit I've underlined......

.......because I don't think Barnsley would necessarily sell Kane for £600,000 just because that's now his book value. Even if the elegance might please their accountants!

A lot of players will have a market value that is very different from their book value.
Luke McNally, for example, is probably carried on our books for about $100k now, but we would all be very pissed off if we sold him for that!

I'd argue that Herbie Kane's value has gone down because Barnsley bought him as a 21 year old who looked destined to be a top Championship, if not Premier League player; and now he's a 23 year old who seems more likely to be spending his career as a good League One midfielder.

Do wonder whether Barnsley will want to sell him to one of their competitors next year though.........
Fair reply Tony, but I'm coming from the position of Herbie being an unwanted asset at Barnsley, which appears to be the case. In that circumstance they would probably look to "wash their face" on the deal, and apparently are looking to cut their running costs too. Although, as you say, they may not wish to sell him to a rival, but that means he would have to go to a Championship club, and I don't know how many takers there would be at that level?

Obviously the Luke McNally situation is different, as he was a player that was bought as a possible appreciating asset (a la Herbie at Barnsley), which is exactly how it has turned out, meaning he can be sold (whenever that might be) for a profit. That's when "the model" works as it's meant to.

I think Derby came up with a method of valuing players at resale value rather than amortised cost.

Which makes sense if they had a season of buying expensive players.
Actually, some of what Derby did with their valuations makes a degree of sense from a business perspective. You'd know, as an accountant, that businesses declare their preferred depreciation methods for assets in their accounts, and these aren't always the same for all assets. But for football clubs there is the added complication of FFP, and everyone has to use the same, straight line, method to depreciate their playing assets.

Derby didn't do this, and didn't tell anybody either, until well after the event. Their revised accounts will make very interesting reading when they do eventually hit Companies House after all this time!!!

Was Herbie ever expected to play the defensive midfield role?

Last season we went through a stage of looking fairly solid, but were drawing rather than winning. Gorrin came out and Cam played a little deeper, but as a player to direct play rather than sweep up at the back. We started scoring for fun, but also conceding more - but most importantly we picked up more points.

The reality is that this season, once we lost Gorrin, we changed the way our midfield played and looked to play on the front foot. This was incredibly exciting at times, and Herbie was part of that with some sublime play at times. His vision and passing is as good as anyone in the league, and you only need to speak to the likes of Cam to see how highly Herbie is rated.

Unfortunately, without Gorrin we didn't have the option to keep things tight and win ugly. This has been compounded by the fact that individually, and collectively, our defence has been well below the standard of last season. Last season, Stevens alone saved us several points with penalty saves and worldies almost every game. Sam Long was everywhere. Ruffels, although not at his best, was far more solid than anyone on the left.

I would definitely look to keep Herbie next season and build a midfield with him and Cam as the two in the middle. We would then play a Szmodics type ahead or a Gorrin type behind depending on who we are playing or the status of the game at the time.

You could argue that's correct. The problem i have with it, is the squad imbalance was the cause of the situation - that sits with the Manager and recruitment team.

Some of us were running companies a long time before The Price of Football appeared Steve!

I wrote a dissertation on this and the impact of the Bosman Ruling on football in the lower leagues. Exciting stuff!

Had a feeling he would go back there and tear it up as feels similar to the Mowatt situation. Slightly underwhelming loan followed by Barnsley getting relegated to a level where they can thrive.

Had a feeling he would go back there and tear it up as feels similar to the Mowatt situation. Slightly underwhelming loan followed by Barnsley getting relegated to a level where they can thrive.
1 goal and 3 assists in 15 appearances? Not sure those are 'tearing it up' numbers.

(I've no doubt he'll add to those numbers against us, that's just a given for ex-players)

1 goal and 3 assists in 15 appearances? Not sure those are 'tearing it up' numbers.

(I've no doubt he'll add to those numbers against us, that's just a given for ex-players)
For the position/role he plays they’re good stats, and the Barnsley fans seem to really rate him

The way they have played recently, they wont be long for this league.

Back
Top Bottom