Jonte Smith signed?

I like this type of signing. You give a bloke a chance to play at a higher level while at the same time maybe unearthing a gem - they usually have a more realistic attitude than the Dan Crowley's of this world, want to impress and are prepared to give their all.

Good luck Jonti - let's hope the future opens up for you.
Agree ZTH its refreshing that someone on here generally sings from the same hymn sheet as me!!
My only concern is, how did we pull this off!?
Hope we haven't breeched any rules!

Don’t know anything about him apart from scoring an hatrick for the Scum U23’s against us and they didn’t sign him, but having said that I hadn’t heard of John Aldridge when we bought him I think for 70k from Newport
Hadnt heard of Johny A? Were you living in the treetops?

This whole "paid to be a free agent" thing sounds so dodgy it's unreal tbh

Hope we manage to avoid any prying.

I've got a good feeling about him (apart from the signing procedure itself), mind.

I'm more excited by the signing of Jonte than Sinclair to be honest.
Weird isnt it, to be more excited by a young non-league player than a young player that has played for Liverpool first team.

He played for Newport when they won 3-0 at the Manor. A very good reason to remember him. I do not think I will see the like of him again in a yellow shirt.

No we won’t. He has prolific everywhere he has played not even Ian Rush couldn’t do that, oh and not remembering John Aldridge from our defeat could possibly have been pissed

Last edited:
I thought if you became a free agent outside the window you still couldn't sign until the next window,not sure where I got that from but I hope it's not true. Otherwise we have an Eddie H situation.

I thought if you became a free agent outside the window you still couldn't sign until the next window,not sure where I got that from but I hope it's not true. Otherwise we have an Eddie H situation.
I thought if you are free and without a club outside the window you could sign for a club but you can only play if you’ve only had played for one club during that season

So the club have confirmed in the Burton preview that Jonte Smith won't be involved at Burton as paperwork still has to be completed.

That is correct, but the implication here is that the player and his club agreed a mutual termination of his contract prior to 11pm last night, hence he was a free agent before the deadline, hence we can sign him at any stage after the deadline.
It that termination had happened AFTER 11pm, no-one could sign him (or at least PLAY him) until the next window opens.

So the club have confirmed in the Burton preview that Jonte Smith won't be involved at Burton as paperwork still has to be completed.
if paperwork lodged with relevant bodies at midday on the day before a game,doesnt that allow a new signing to play?

still, the way this signing happened...typically under Tigers tenure, late and not all the necessary i's dotted or t's crossed its no surprise that Jonte Smith is ineligible to play tomorrow. No surpise whatsoever

Thats what I thought. If it was that easy everyone would do it!!

Not the end of the world if he can’t play tomorrow, a few weeks back we had no fit centre forwards, tomorrow (if on) we will have 2 with one more along after, numbers wise that’s a big improvement, we will all just have to wait and see quality wise.

Back
Top Bottom