Ex Player Tyler Smith

I can actually tell you what happened here.

I was told by a member of the senior staff earlier this season, in a game when Joseph appeared to be playing in central midfield, that he was actually playing as more of a ten. When I asked why given he’s a striker who can do a job wider because he works hard, I was told that he played against us for Wigan in the hole a couple of years ago and “destroyed us that day.”

That’s it. That’s why.

He destroyed us... Wigan lost 1-2.

Merely the words used. I don’t even remember the game they’re talking about.

I believe this is the game in question (it's the only time he played against us for Wigan):

The only time our Kyle appears in the highlights is at the ~43 second mark, when he looks very like the player we saw at Plymouth. 😬

(as an aside - two cracking goals we scored......feels like an age ago doesn't it.......)

Tyler Smith looks very poor tbh and is in no way an upgrade on Taylor. His attempt at a finish on his debut was just embarrassing. But tbf, he's a physically small forward stepping into a team low on confidence, run by a clueless manager. Why on earth KR thinks that lumping high balls forward to a 5.8 forward against tall centre halves is a worthwhile tactic is beyond me. But whenever I get gloomy, I remember that KR is 'passionate' and works '24/7', so that immediately cheers me up.

I believe this is the game in question (it's the only time he played against us for Wigan):

The only time our Kyle appears in the highlights is at the ~43 second mark, when he looks very like the player we saw at Plymouth. 😬

(as an aside - two cracking goals we scored......feels like an age ago doesn't it.......)
Wow...forget the quality football we played

• React
Reactions: m
Guess the real question is him or Matty Taylor? No brainier right… oh wait KR has other ideas!!

Matty Taylor has been really poor for us this season so no it isn't a "no brainer". I say that as somebody who'd have kept Matty Taylor in the squad, unless we had signed a further forward.

Matty Taylor has been really poor for us this season so no it isn't a "no brainer". I say that as somebody who'd have kept Matty Taylor in the squad, unless we had signed a further forward.
I would counter that with the fact that Matty has been expected/had to play quite a different role this season to the one that has brought him so much success in previous years.

We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that it is formations, selections and tactics which have put us where we are, not individual players.

Have look at who got all the assists in previous seasons and it will go some way to explaining this.

I would counter that with the fact that Matty has been expected/had to play quite a different role this season to the one that has brought him so much success in previous years.

We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that it is formations, selections and tactics which have put us where we are, not individual players.

Have look at who got all the assists in previous seasons and it will go some way to explaining this.
I agree with this. And not just in relation to the striker (whoever that might be).
All over the pitch KR has not managed to form partnerships that work well and therefore creating a team that is more than the sum of its parts has seemingly become an insoluble problem.

Matty T has still missed very good chances throughout the season. The post I replied to is using hindsight over how Smith has performed so far to say it is a 'no brainer' when compared to Matty Taylor. Many on here were arguing for GO'D to start over Matty T for quite a while.

It would only be fair to say that the formation/selections/tactics issues are no different for Smith, if anything we've got less organised and cohesive as a team since January!

Matty T has still missed very good chances throughout the season. The post I replied to is using hindsight over how Smith has performed so far to say it is a 'no brainer' when compared to Matty Taylor. Many on here were arguing for GO'D to start over Matty T for quite a while.

It would only be fair to say that the formation/selections/tactics issues are no different for Smith, if anything we've got less organised and cohesive as a team since January!
But if you want to compare Taylors performance this year to previous seasons, then surely you have to take into account the team playing around him, no?

I think that is where the real problem lies, not that Matty has suddenly started missing more chances. I guess the best way to confirm either way is to look at his comparative conversion rate over a number of seasons, and to also look at where those chances are falling on the pitch over that time. It does strike me that he has had to play a different role this season because of the lack of options (through poor squad assembly and injuries) around him.

Hoof and run didn't help Taylor ,and let's be honest it won't help Smith. Also we are playing really poorly at the minute with no confidence. We've got to find some spark tomorrow let's hope Smith does it.

We have a hilarious tradition here of writing off new players within a few weeks and I'm glad it's still going strong.

You'll come good for us soon, Tyler, everyone here is just in a right grump

Here's the goals and assists from the last two seasons:
20/21:
1677246829733.png
21/22:
1677246751714.png

This season makes for pretty grim reading by comparison. Two of our pretty much ever-present midfielders in McGuane and Brannagan without an assist to their name!:
1677246949853.png

But if you want to compare Taylors performance this year to previous seasons, then surely you have to take into account the team playing around him, no?

I think that is where the real problem lies, not that Matty has suddenly started missing more chances. I guess the best way to confirm either way is to look at his comparative conversion rate over a number of seasons, and to also look at where those chances are falling on the pitch over that time. It does strike me that he has had to play a different role this season because of the lack of options (through poor squad assembly and injuries) around him.

I think Matty T would say he's had a poor season so far tbf. But Tyler Smith is getting compared directly with Matty T on here so only fair to compare for this season, rather than to previous seasons, and it therefore wasn't a 'no brainer' when Tyler Smith signed as the original post suggested. I suspect Smith would score plenty in those previous seasons but he has come into a poor side that has the same issues about formation/tactics etc that Matty T faced.

I think Matty T would say he's had a poor season so far tbf. But Tyler Smith is getting compared directly with Matty T on here so only fair to compare for this season, rather than to previous seasons, and it therefore wasn't a 'no brainer' when Tyler Smith signed as the original post suggested. I suspect Smith would score plenty in those previous seasons but he has come into a poor side that has the same issues about formation/tactics etc that Matty T faced.
We agree!

But just look at those assists over the previous two seasons . . . .what the actual f**k have we become😭

Guess the real question is him or Matty Taylor? No brainier right… oh wait KR has other ideas!!

Honestly, I think that there were very few on here that thought it was a question of Taylor or Smith. Only KR and a few others.

I think most people thought that having a solid alternative to Taylor (alongside the talented but green GOD) would be a good thing. Both as cover, and to push him for a starting spot.

Which is why Smith coming in was generally met with applause, but Taylor going out that same evening was met with widespread WTFs.......

Back
Top Bottom