Jonte Smith signed?

Type of player I'm always happy to see us take a punt on, but is anyone concerned about the rule bend on this one? Is it really worth the risk in terms of potential fines/points deductions?!
Why a risk on pijnt
He played for Newport when they won 3-0 at the Manor. A very good reason to remember him. I do not think I will see the like of him again in a yellow shirt.
He was bordering on World Class.
If he played for us now we would be Top 6. He was that good.

This whole "paid to be a free agent" thing sounds so dodgy it's unreal tbh

Hope we manage to avoid any prying.

I've got a good feeling about him (apart from the signing procedure itself), mind.

On the BBC Sports website there are 7 transfers listed as having taken place today, including Will Grigg going to Sunderland which was completed nearly an hour and a half after Jonte's move to us. There is obviously some way of getting deals done after the deadline but I don't know how it works.

From BBC football:- EFL clubs can still sign free agents as long as they left their previous club before the end of the summer window in August.

Loved KC. Remember Aldershot away in the FA Cup in 81 like it was yesterday rather than my first LRC trip as a fresh faced 14 year old. They were giving it the old "zigger" song and KC scored a brace then a hat trick in the replay I think.
tore Brighton apart at their place in the FAcup if i remember rightly? Wasnt Ian Greaves our then manager....or is me memory not working as well as it used to?

tore Brighton apart at their place in the FAcup if i remember rightly? Wasnt Ian Greaves our then manager....or is me memory not working as well as it used to?

yep - what a day that was (outside as well as in);)

Greaves's last hurrah cos didn't he f**k off to Wolves shortly after & we got dicked by Cov in the next round (although another fun day)

yep - what a day that was (outside as well as in);)

Greaves's last hurrah cos didn't he f**k off to Wolves shortly after & we got dicked by Cov in the next round (although another fun day)
thats the one ... cov away , similar to that Brighton game, in the fa cup ...certainly was a fun awayday (shame about the result).... cov away in the cup , wasnt that one of the few games that Wright featured in our first team before heading off to the bindippers?

We should all welcome this signing. He could easily develop into a prolific scorer, hopefully for us, if he is given chances to finish. Playing up top on his own may well be tough at this stage but taking chances yes he can do that now.

Good luck Jonti. I’m sure you’ll be much better than the Reading Smith

Thought we had got the antiques bloke off bargain hunt but wrong Jonte
Hope he can push on and be a great success for us

From BBC football:- EFL clubs can still sign free agents as long as they left their previous club before the end of the summer window in August.

According to the EFL rules, there are two windows. Providing the player is a free agent before the end of the window. They are free to sign anytime afterwards. That’s how I just read it. I assume the article referred to the summer window.

Goalscorers are goalscorers at any level. It's not the finishing that will be lacking but movement and speed of thought. He won't get as much time so if he can adjust his timing he could be a real find.
Agree about the movement and speed of thought...….Jarrow roofing springs to mind. Pace is the killer. Maybe, just maybe, it will work out. The fans deserve it.

Sincerely hope not. Depends upon the way his contract ceased I suppose. Haven't the greatest faith in our management to get it right.

I imagine lower league contracts come with a lot more flexibility than the ones at pro level. Oxford City in the NLS frequently see players come and go - often due to players having to move for work and the like.

I would hope all the ‘t’s’ have been crossed and ‘i’s’ dotted. We don’t want another Jennison Myrie-Williams situation arising.

thats the one ... cov away , similar to that Brighton game, in the fa cup ...certainly was a fun awayday (shame about the result).... cov away in the cup , wasnt that one of the few games that Wright featured in our first team before heading off to the bindippers?
Oh yes, that was a game I will never forget. ? I didn’t get a hotdog that day!! But I could of had a coppers helmet!!!???

We should all welcome this signing. He could easily develop into a prolific scorer, hopefully for us, if he is given chances to finish. Playing up top on his own may well be tough at this stage but taking chances yes he can do that now.
I'm not sure that I totally buy into the playing up front on his own as being a reason why it should all be so difficult.
With Whyte, Graham and Henry we get a lot of crosses in. So sure he may have to battle and hold the ball up. But with the midfield and wide men we have he should get chances.

Back
Top Bottom