Transfer News January 2021/22 Transfer Window

Worth pointing out that, even if Tshimanga does get a Championship move, it doesn't mean we have necessarily "missed a trick". Let's see how he gets on first.

It absolutely is but it's just half a season's return and also a lot better return than he has produced in previous seasons. As previously stated, he may prove me wrong and you right but based on the nearest player comparator that I know of and can find, I don't think he will.

Also, you'd be shelling out based on his impressive form and it won't come cheap (relatively speaking). I've said it before - it will take a big offer for Chesterfield to sell as they'll value their League spot back more than whatever they can get for him now. If I was them, I wouldn't even listen for anything under £250k and if I was us, I wouldn't even consider £100k when that sort of fee picks you up a PL/Championship youngster nowadays.

We would have looked at him when he was at Oxford City. We didn't fancy him then and there's no way we'll be looking at him now when his price tag is even higher.

Move on. If he goes, it'll be someone else's risk to take.

Last edited:
I've seen him at Chesterfield quite regularly. He's a decent player who knows where the goal is.

Worth 750k? Not for me at this point. Too much to prove.
Worth a punt when at Oxford City for a tenth of that. Absolutely.

Also, you'd be shelling out based on his impressive form and it won't come cheap (relatively speaking). I've said it before - it will take a big offer for Chesterfield to sell as they'll value their League spot back more than whatever they can get for him now. If I was them, I wouldn't even listen for anything under £250k and if I was us, I wouldn't even consider £100k when that sort of fee picks you up a PL/Championship youngster nowadays.

We would have looked at him when he was at Oxford City. We didn't fancy him then and there's no way we'll be looking at him now when his price tag is even higher.

Move on. If he goes, it'll be someone else's risk to take.

I think Chesterfield paid close to £250k for him so it will take a lot more than that to get him.

Worth pointing out that, even if Tshimanga does get a Championship move, it doesn't mean we have necessarily "missed a trick". Let's see how he gets on first.
And, if he does fail at Championship level, it doesn’t mean we made the right decision in passing up on him as he might be good enough for L1 just not quite championship material

Say what you like about our forum and its fixation on transfer window threads but the Sunderland forum has 169 pages (and counting) on Jermain Defoe on a thread that started last Wednesday :)
That's because Sunlan are Yuuuge.

DT knows what he's talking about
1642679687310.png

Defoe will improve us and will convert a higher percentage of chances than anyone on our books.

Plus, Robinson was on about those runs that a player makes or doesn’t for himself or the team. Defoe makes top decisions in this area. I would be flabagasted if we sign him though tbh. He would probably get around 10 goals in second half of the season.

I think it was an opportunity missed when he was at Oxford City. Karl Robinson knew about him a long time ago.
Had we taken him on trial we might have found he’d be ideal up front.
Karl Robinson obviously has other players in mInd. Hopefully further up the league.
Defoe would be a sign of intent, even if only till the end of the season

if ( big IF) Defoe is genuinely on OUFC 'target' list, I think he could do a job for us ( albeit on a contract till the season & maybe playoffs conclusion) ..... though winning the ball in the air isn't one of his strong points, and that's perhaps an area up front that needs addressing if were looking to strengthen in this window

Say what you like about our forum and its fixation on transfer window threads but the Sunderland forum has 169 pages (and counting) on Jermain Defoe on a thread that started last Wednesday :)

In a desperate attempt to send myself to sleep i read all of that thread from about 3 to 5am and this is what i learnt.
They have celebrated signing him twice, some special brew and 24 cans of Asda Brew for a fiver were consumed before
the realisation that it wasnt true came to light. Seems that Ooop North they spell sign,signing, sine, sineing.
We get our first mention on page 119/120. Lots think he will do a job, others that he is past it, some would be ok if
he signed for Charlton but would be pretty pissed off if he signed for us as that would obvioulsy mean that he will
score the playoff winner against them. They don`t like Lee Johnson much and everybody hates Charlie.

Chesterfield will want one of the biggest fees ever spent for a non-league player for Tshimanga, having spent circa 250k on him, and seen him score 22 goals in 25 games so far.

The "known" highest fees are below:
2012: Jamie Vardy - Fleetwood to Leicester -£1m
2020: Jack Taylor - Barnet to Peterborough - £500k (£1m with possible add-ons)
2012: Shaun Brisley - Macclesfield to Peterborough - £300k
2013: Joe Lolley - Kidderminster to Huddersfield - £300k
2007: George Boyd - Stevenage to Peterborough - £260k
2014: Marcus Maddison - Gateshead to Peterborough - £250k
2014: Lee Gregory - FC Halifax to Millwall - £250k

Yes we have a reasonable clout behind us, but that is a lot of money to spend on someone who has made 6 sub appearances in the football league so far in his career.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Defoe will improve us and will convert a higher percentage of chances than anyone on our books.

Plus, Robinson was on about those runs that a player makes or doesn’t for himself or the team. Defoe makes top decisions in this area. I would be flabagasted if we sign him though tbh. He would probably get around 10 goals in second half of the season.

He's scored 10+ goals in open play once in a whole season in the past decade - 12 in 33 apps in the PL for Sunderland six years ago. His shot conversion % has been poor throughout. There is a massive myth about his finishing ability and has been for years.

Chesterfield will want one of the biggest fees ever spent for a non-league player for Tshimanga, having spent circa 250k on him, and seen him score 22 goals in 25 games so far.

The "known" highest fees are below:
2012: Jamie Vardy - Fleetwood to Leicester -£1m
2020: Jack Taylor - Barnet to Peterborough - £500k (£1m with possible add-ons)
2012: Shaun Brisley - Macclesfield to Peterborough - £300k
2013: Joe Lolley - Kidderminster to Huddersfield - £300k
2007: George Boyd - Stevenage to Peterborough - £260k
2014: Marcus Maddison - Gateshead to Peterborough - £250k
2014: Lee Gregory - FC Halifax to Millwall - £250k

Yes we have a reasonable clout behind us, but that is a lot of money to spend on someone who has made 6 sub appearances in the football league so far in his career.
Oh no ,don't think anyone thinks we are in the market now just previously could have snapped him up for a fee and wage I'd imagine less than Sam Winnalls two year wage and defo the fee paid and wages for Dan Ageyi.

If the board fund his wages that'll be a serious investment and a statement of intent!
But would it be worth it? No guarantee at 39 years of age he would be still as good as he was at rangers…..putting it another way why isn’t he playing at the moment apart from a 17 minute cameo appearance this season?

As I said in an earlier post, in his after-match interview when asked about signings, Karl sounded very despondent in his one word reply.
I am still of the opinion that any available money was spent buying out Kane's recall clause and that he was told to make the best of it after his Summer signings.
I sincerely hope that I am wrong, as without any signings to cover the obvious problem positions we will struggle for the rest of the season against Wycombe-type teams.
There are decent players available as proved by Wigan, Lincoln etc which we are missing out on by the evident dallying.

What do you reckon Yorkie? Still think we are dallying?

It won't be long now...

Back
Top Bottom