Transfer Window January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window So Far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondered why there had been no updates on the OM transfer page since 9.45pm but it seems they had IT issues rather than waiting for more news.

So was Harry Leonard a red herring or have we signed him and the club are holding back his announcement to fool us into thinking it fell through. Blackburn's announcement about the striker on which the deal depended seems rather late considering he needed international clearance which, as we know can take days.

Has everyone just gone to bed, or are there still a few hanging on for the late Leonard confirmation???

Never comfortable on the whole "waiting for other clubs to conclude their business before we can lock-in ours" situation, but them's the breaks when you're League One trying to pinch a Championship player in Jan. Particularly if it's a striker.

Fingers crossed though, eh?

So far, I'd say I'm happy with this window:

GK - Cumming - Loan
We acted well in bringing Cumming in quickly upon Beadle's recall. His injury on Tuesday was unfortunate, but not injured at time of transfer, and hopefully be back quickly.

LB - Bennett - Permanent (free)
Sensible contact til the end of the season. Once again, unfortunate to have picked up injury, but wasn't injured when signed.

LW/RW/ST - Burey - Loan
Still needs minutes, but looks a good addition. We were after him in the summer, so clearly not a "let's get any old winger in on loan".

RW - Dale - Permanent (paid a fee)
To be seen, but has been playing at another League One playoff-hopeful, so exciting that we've been able to pinch him.

LW - Edwards - Permanent (free)
Clearly just getting him on our books so we can help him with his rehab and keep him as part of the squad for his inevitable summer signing. Might possibly get some games towards the end of the season. Very good player at this level.

ST - Goodwin - Permanent (paid a fee)
Big, strong and young striker, with lots of potential and will offer us something different up top. Shame about his injury, but glad it was picked up in the medical to avoid playing him and causing further damage. Clearly a lot of work put into signing him, and not a "let's just get a striker in" signing.

So yes, of those signings 4 are currently injured and one is still not quite ready for 90 minutes, but they are all good players, and these seem to be one-off injuries as opposed to the old habit of signing crocs.

If we get this final striker in over the line tonight (presumably on loan) I'll be very happy.
So, one final addition...

CM - Matete - Loan

That sounds a tastier signing than anything I was expecting. The disappointment at not getting in a 2nd striker of the window is definitely assuaged by the quality of this unexpected signing. The talk these last 2 weeks had been striker and winger. I know there had been rumbles on here of "we also need a CM", but it didn't seem to be a priority. But wow. Back-to-back League One promotions, and the kid's only 22 (ok, 23 in just over a week). One point to consider though - he's not played a single minute this season, so will not be immediately match-fit.

8/10 (pushing a 9, had those coming in all been 100% fit). Every signing is a strong addition, and the only positions we haven't strengthened have been RB and CB. We've only lost 2 first-teamers (Beadle and Mills, both loans) but have replaced them quickly. Would I have wanted an extra ST? Of course I would, but looking at what we have brought in (plus Goodrham signing a new contract, I might add) I would call this a very successful window from the club!

Maybe, just maybe, papers were submitted just before 23:00, with an announcement on Feb 2. It would not be the first time an announcement of a signing has been made the day after the deal was done.

Maybe, just maybe, papers were submitted just before 23:00, with an announcement on Feb 2. It would not be the first time an announcement of a signing has been made the day after the deal was done.
Fingers crossed that's the reason OM have told us to go to bed. Not because the club have told them nobody else is coming in, but because they've said they can't confirm anything until tomorrow morning, so no point hanging around. That would be a pleasant surprise!

Seems strange that Des kept on saying about going after a striker then not signing one, mustve had a back up at least even if they were after Marriott.

Cumming, Matete, Dale, Burey, Goodwin - great transfer window.

Long, Bodin & Murphy back in squad for Blackpool - according to Des.

Bennett back the week after. Fingers crossed Stevens is fine.

Just got to try and get Edwards & Browne back whilst we are challenging in the top 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom