Transfer Window January 2024 Post Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Carpy

Staff member
Great transfer window!! Suspect these ratings will jump considerably...

Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 22.40.22.png

⬅️ Gorrin➡️ Bennett (Extension)
⬅️ Beadle➡️ Cumming
⬅️ Mills➡️ Goodwin
⬅️ Edwards (Loan)➡️ Edwards (Permanent)
⬅️ Perkins➡️ Dale
⬅️ McGinty➡️ Matete
➡️ Burey

Like what the recruitment team do I’m already looking ahead to the summer & I’ll put it out now one of the main priorities is to find a proper Right Back we have needed a vast upgrade on Sam Long for a couple of seasons now & with Steven’s returning who’s been no better than average I really hope we can get the quality in that position next summer (we’ve seen the impact what Greg Leigh has done for us at Left Back with Bennett as a good backup)

Generally content with the outgoings, in that it was predominantly loans returning to their parent club, or ones we could afford to ship out. Nobody has pinched any of our star contracted players, and that's a win in my book!

Obviously Beadle was top, and I was sad to see him go, but that was entirely out of our hands. Mills probably would have stayed, had it not been for the unfortunate injury. It just didn't work out for Perkins. Gorrin had to go for his own sake, and I'm sure we all wish him the best. McGinty also needs to play, and that's just not happening here.

Good window. I still think our promotion hopes really hang on getting a decent chunk of game time out of Murphy/Browne/Edwards.

We're a different side with one of those in the team running at people.

Hopefully Matete is fit enough to provide competition in the middle straight away. JM hasn't looked good enough this season so this will give MM some much needed rest so he can get back to the level he was at earlier in the season. And if he doesn't, he'll be dropped.

I'm so paranoid about injuries, I just hope we get to see plenty of Dale and Matete this season.

When is Goodwin back?

I'm so paranoid about injuries, I just hope we get to see plenty of Dale and Matete this season.

When is Goodwin back?
Goodwin should be back next week, along with Bodin and Murphy. If we suffer no more lengthy injuries (big if!) we'll have a pretty healthy squad to choose from in the coming weeks.

Looking at what we’ve got now,

A very strong squad (when fit) with options to chop and change style and formations.

Really good work from Ed and everyone involved.

I still think, without that extra striker/forward we are weaker than most sides in this play off race! The hopeful side to me is looking at Gatlin to continue this burst of form and grow into the back end of the season!

(Also a rumour of a potential Baldock situation signing) but I’m not holding on to anything there… think it’s B*****s personally

It was late-coming but I'm so impressed that the last, elusive domino - another JM - fell so nicely into place!
I said 9/10 yesterday but downgraded to 8/10 due to 'injuries' and lack of minutes for some of them.
Seriously well done Des and OUFC.

local lad Jordan Thomas to Cheltenham
Busy night for Joe Hodge on the bench last night against Man U, and then loaned to QPR

So if it was Marriott that we were after, what was the domino effect needed?
Almost as if we weren't really after 5 goal Jack, who has missed plenty of chances this season and had some serious injuries.

Would exactly have been gutted if we'd signed him but never really got the hype.

Like everyone else, Matete has to prove himself on the pitch (especially with no competitive football in his legs this season...it's not an injury thankfully so he will have a different "getting match fit" routine than Goodwin). But on the face of it a fantastic signing...if you could pick anyone (within sensible reason) for the CM role we are lacking, he would probably be on 9 out of 10 people's lists at this level.

But yes, I remain of the opinion that we are just a little short up front and subject to the up-and-down nature of Des getting his style over to get to the very top this season. But playoffs? Why not!

Like everyone else, Matete has to prove himself on the pitch (especially with no competitive football in his legs this season...it's not an injury thankfully so he will have a different "getting match fit" routine than Goodwin). But on the face of it a fantastic signing...if you could pick anyone (within sensible reason) for the CM role we are lacking, he would probably be on 9 out of 10 people's lists at this level.

But yes, I remain of the opinion that we are just a little short up front and subject to the up-and-down nature of Des getting his style over to get to the very top this season. But playoffs? Why not!
Matete returned to training on Dec 15th, so one would hope he’s available to come on late in a few games until he’s fully match fit.

Last edited:
I cannot believe we didn’t get the elusive striker we needed!

Also, out of the players we’ve signed, which ones did we have to wait for re; the domino effect?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom