Transfer News January 2021/22 Transfer Window

If we are after an iconic 39 year old forward with an eye for a goal I’ve got a better suggestion:

BlwUf2OCcAA8qLX

Exactly he's been solid
Some people need to be careful what they wish for

Agree. ‘Not bothered’ is a bit of a diss to Thorniley who has been decent. It would mean bedding in another centre back (McNally of course would be involved too) and I’d rather a settled squad with a few additions than swapping out another regular starter.

If he goes back, so be it. There’s the risk with loans. It’s easy to make this look like pettiness on Blackpool’s part but they’ll have to front up his wages now if he doesn’t play or add him to their squad if they don’t send him out on loan again. They’ll only be creating a minor headache for themselves.

Exactly he's been solid
Some people need to be careful what they wish for
Actually thought he started very well solid defender and could pick a decent pass
Over the past few months against tougher opposition I feel he’s been bullied by decent strong forwards
Having said that the whole team gets bullied by stronger opposition

It's only a few weeks since everyone was raving about Thorniley so be very careful. Left footed good centre backs aren't ten a penny. Lee Jarman is hitting the treadmill as we speak.

Potentially gives us heaps to do in just a week and a half......
He is decent although his height is an issue from set pieces. It's not a matter of being careful, I think the majority would be happy for him to stay but not if he is only allowed to stay if we sell CB to them. We can't be held hostage by them.

Oh well. If Thorniley goes it will be a shame but not the end of the world IF we are already targeting better or an equal replacement (which may have been in anticipation of Moore going in the summer in any case). That said I do think we're already paper thin in defence, especially so with Long not on it this year, Seddon blowing hot and cold and Moore possibly unsettled.

On strikers though - maybe Oxford would succeed with this lad where Blackpool have failed: https://www.lancs.live/sport/footba...pool-arsenal-john-jules-championship-22811957

Agree. ‘Not bothered’ is a bit of a diss to Thorniley who has been decent. It would mean bedding in another centre back (McNally of course would be involved too) and I’d rather a settled squad with a few additions than swapping out another regular starter.

If he goes back, so be it. There’s the risk with loans. It’s easy to make this look like pettiness on Blackpool’s part but they’ll have to front up his wages now if he doesn’t play or add him to their squad if they don’t send him out on loan again. They’ll only be creating a minor headache for themselves.

Also if they don't loan him out then could have a unhappy player in their squad which can be disruptive.

If Blackpool are recalling Thorniley in an attempt to show us what a big club they are then I feel for him.

Don't get me wrong, Brannagan is our player - he's more important to the club and he has a higher ceiling. I'm sure he's good enough to make it to the Premier League/top end of the Championship one day, so I'm glad we've stuck to his buyout clause and not let Blackpool low ball us with derisory bids and threats over Thorniley, but Thorniley doesn't really deserve to be messed around as a makeweight by them. I can't see him ever playing above the bottom half of the Championship due to a lack of physicality, but he reads the game well and is an accomplished defender at this level. He's also comfy on the ball and seems to have a good attitude. We're a much better option for him at this stage of his career than Blackpool's bench or reserves, so if he does get recalled I hope he gets himself sorted with a decent contract somewhere where he'll get a chance to settle.

If it's true and it is because we're not selling them Cam on the cheap, then Blackpool really need to have a word with themselves. If you fancy yourself as a big club then start acting like it.

Back
Top Bottom