General Is Simon Eastwood our best ever keeper?

• Thread starter Shropshire U
  • Start date
Remember when Ken Vasey (and bobble hat) came back to the Manor with Dorchester and we stuck 7 past him? Seem to remember he got a standing ovation.

The best goalkeeping performance I have ever seen was Paul Reece at Derby in 1992/3. So many stops as we were battered by them, could have lost by 5 but because of the heroics between the sticks we managed a classic 1-0 smash and grab.

Yes, that was an enjoyable Sunday afternoon! I'd forgotten that J. Lager popped up with a volleyed winner. Quality. Reece (or 'Preece' as Rim Tusson calls him in that clip) was a fans' favourite for a while, but Denis Smith wasn't so keen. I recall that he felt that some of Reece's more spectacular saves were purely as a result of his lack of height, and that for other keepers those saves would have been meat and drink. I'm not sure how long he carried on playing after leaving OUFC, but it looks like he's a professional goalkeeping coach in the USA these days, so good luck to him.

I think it was 9, our record score!?
"We" beat Wisbech Town 9-0 in 1960. I attended. I have to say it was a great time to be following United, Headington United then! As a fan , success like that probably comes round once in a lifetime.....especially at our level.

Why no mention of the keeper who played (and kept a clean sheet) in SAF's first game in charge of Man United ?
Oxford had a 100% record at the Manor with him between the sticks(all in Division 1).
He also saved the penalty that won Spurs the UEFA cup.

Why no mention of the keeper who played (and kept a clean sheet) in SAF's first game in charge of Man United ?
Oxford had a 100% record at the Manor with him between the sticks(all in Division 1).
He also saved the penalty that won Spurs the UEFA cup.

Tony Parks?

We also had Ian Walker on loan of course. Neither were close to Paul Gerrard in their spell but then Ian Walker was a lot younger.

Back
Top Bottom