General Is Simon Eastwood our best ever keeper?

• Thread starter Shropshire U
  • Start date
The best goalkeeping performance I have ever seen was Paul Reece at Derby in 1992/3. So many stops as we were battered by them, could have lost by 5 but because of the heroics between the sticks we managed a classic 1-0 smash and grab.

Has nobody a photo of Roy Burton mooning the London Road stand?
And it must be Roy, bazza DaveT et al.

Has nobody a photo of Roy Burton mooning the London Road stand?
And it must be Roy, bazza DaveT et al.

I understand that if you go into certain adult shops they’ll have a copy of it under the counter.

It’s considered pretty hardcore stuff though so you might get a few funny looks when you ask the question.

I think, for the benefit of our younger fans, I need to explain just how good Roy (look at my bum crack) Burton was. Some players (Best, Eusabio, Pele, Colin Harrington) would have been heroes in ANY era, because they had that god-given gift; a natural skill, with a football. Ok, not Harrington, then. But Burtie COULD catch a cold. He wasn't scared of the crosses, so we didn't call him Dracula. The only thing that went between his legs was his wife. He couldn't undo women's bras because he had bloody big hands - perfect for a goalkeeper. The only balls that he dropped were his own, when he became a teenager. He was a better shot-stopper than Jonnie Durex. FFS, please tell me you get the message, because I'm running out of jokes.

I think, for the benefit of our younger fans, I need to explain just how good Roy (look at my bum crack) Burton was. Some players (Best, Eusabio, Pele, Colin Harrington) would have been heroes in ANY era, because they had that god-given gift; a natural skill, with a football. Ok, not Harrington, then. But Burtie COULD catch a cold. He wasn't scared of the crosses, so we didn't call him Dracula. The only thing that went between his legs was his wife. He couldn't undo women's bras because he had bloody big hands - perfect for a goalkeeper. The only balls that he dropped were his own, when he became a teenager. He was a better shot-stopper than Jonnie Durex. FFS, please tell me you get the message, because I'm running out of jokes.

Carry On Burton.

Interesting that no one has mentioned the king of the 6 yard box Andy Woodman. The only problem was he rarely left the 6 yard box!

The best goalkeeping performance I have ever seen was Paul Reece at Derby in 1992/3. So many stops as we were battered by them, could have lost by 5 but because of the heroics between the sticks we managed a classic 1-0 smash and grab.

This clip brings back so many memories of when I first started following us, it was the Sunday lunchtime ITV game, I went to my first OUFC game not long after, hooked ever since!

Interesting that no one has mentioned the king of the 6 yard box Andy Woodman. The only problem was he rarely left the 6 yard box!

The only problem other than his horrendous kicking? (Often followed by a groan from the East Stand and a sad, mournful ‘leave me alone’ look back in their direction from Woody himself)

I actually quite liked Woodman as he always struck me as a reliable performer, but he had some major flaws.

The only problem other than his horrendous kicking? (Often followed by a groan from the East Stand and a sad, mournful ‘leave me alone’ look back in their direction from Woody himself)

I actually quite liked Woodman as he always struck me as a reliable performer, but he had some major flaws.
Am I right in saying he brought out an autobiography?

Anyone remember Brian Sherratt? ...as well as the U's ( in the main as understudy to Jim Barron for OUFC ...until Royston Burton arrived) , he also played for Barnsley, Colchester, Forest and his home club Stoke

I remember Woody telling me to f**k off when instead of kicking it up field he just kicked it out for a throw in and I had pointed out he should of kicked it up field. It was away to Darlington. We ended up losing 2-0.

I remember Woody telling me to f**k off when instead of kicking it up field he just kicked it out for a throw in and I had pointed out he should of kicked it up field. It was away to Darlington. We ended up losing 2-0.
A classic case of "dont bite the hand that feeds you". Paul Kee "v" sign comes to mind. Met Paul Kee in Red Lion, Marston some years ago. Very amiable chap .

Anyone remember Brian Sherratt? ...as well as the U's ( in the main as understudy to Jim Barron for OUFC ...until Royston Burton arrived) , he also played for Barnsley, Colchester, Forest and his home club Stoke
Yep: as an 11 year old,my first Oxford hero (me, not him).

Together with Gareth Southgate no less...Woody and Nord I believe it was called.

Remember vividly one game that season, suppose it must have been just after Christmas as I'd got given his book as a pressy. Well we're defending the goal in front of the East Stand and we concede a corner.

We're a goal down, not long left in the game. The lads are regrouping around our six-yard box, it's all gone a bit quiet as they're organising to defend the corner and in a misguided attempt to gee up and stiffen the defence I bellow "G'WAN WOODY LAD, I GOT YER BOOK!!!", to dispersed tittering from the chaps around me.

Poor old Andy looks up in my direction with the kind of rueful expression he usually reserved for the aftermath of one of his brave attempts at a goal kick.

Then the corner comes in. And their centre-forward gets his nut behind it. And Woody flails. And we're two down.

"f**k's sake Woody" I say. But a bit more quietly.

Barron and Burton were both agile and good on the line but Phil Whitehead had physical stature which he used to command his area, give confidence to his defenders, whilst at the same time having athleticism to be a shot stopper as well. Owen Medlock and Harry Fearnley were also good but at a lower level.

Back
Top Bottom