National News First 100 days of Boris..........

And good to see the Lords
The benefits of smart motorways (meagre as they are) are hardly worth the ridiculous money spent on them, add in the hassle caused during the years it is taking to “upgrade” stretches of a couple of motorway and you wonder how it got the green light in the first place.

It was a s**t idea that no one wanted to be the one to pull the plug on, that doesn’t justify carrying on with it though.
HS2 is a s**t idea. Smart motorways with more thought are a good way around utilising the road space we have.

I did snigger this morning at the timing of this complaint after the Magic Grandpa tentatively put Bercow forward to be a peer. Some people really don't like Bercow or his alleged bullying of staff do they?

And good to see the Lords

HS2 is a s**t idea. Smart motorways with more thought are a good way around utilising the road space we have.

Are they? I drive on motorways regularly and can’t say I notice any difference between being on one or not, surely for the hassle and expenditure it should be a significant upgrade?

Are they? I drive on motorways regularly and can’t say I notice any difference between being on one or not, surely for the hassle and expenditure it should be a significant upgrade?
It depends on the time of day you go, but the fact you don't notice any difference either way shows they work or they don't, depending on your point of view.

I hear the M3 is better with the smart motorway implemented, but I've not driven on it since it changed over, so don't know for sure!

And you’re going to call the M1 & M6 smart?
M6 J9/j10- J15 ongoing smart motorway construction 'upgrade' ( been ongoing for years) ... restricted to 50mph for over 25 miles - M6 in the west midlands / north west midland,s especially on Fridays, is basically a sloooow moving, stationary some of the time, gridlock, that the M25 would be proud of!

M1 similar to M6 in places too, Nottigham section was particularly bad a year ago, now its below and above Nottigham where (so called) smart motorway upgrades are slowly ongoing

While M4 undergoing 'final' upgrades to smart motorway status with weekend closures- last weekend M4 was shut from 8pm Friday till 6am monday between Maidenhead and Windsor junctions

IMO , based on first hand experience travelling around England for work, smart motorways (& their slow ongoing construction) are anything but smart, and for a plethora of reasons too

of course , Getting Brexit Done, isnt a one sided thing.... seems EU head honchos are not playing Eton games, or theyre not applying Eton rules ? :rolleyes:

Anyone leaving the club can`t be perceived to have benefited in any way or others may do the same.
Protectionism on both sides should lead to a reasonable agreement.
If not.......... we still retain the FU option.

Bbc soon to become government run? It will be if Cummins gets his way ....but it doesnt matter does it, Bojo will Get Brexit Done, and thats what really matters isnt it ?

Talking of the BBC................ one of the best programmes on there, axed.

It`s not sustainable as a business funded (not subsidised) by a non optional tax. The total income from licence fees was £3.83 billion in 2017–18, of which £655.3 million or 17.1% was provided by the government through concessions for those over the age of 75, that is 76% of its total income!

Or is it a valued institution like the NHS ??? :unsure::unsure:

Talking of the BBC................ one of the best programmes on there, axed.

It`s not sustainable as a business funded (not subsidised) by a non optional tax. The total income from licence fees was £3.83 billion in 2017–18, of which £655.3 million or 17.1% was provided by the government through concessions for those over the age of 75, that is 76% of its total income!

Or is it a valued institution like the NHS ??? :unsure::unsure:

Yes it is valued imo.

To have a publically owned broadcaster is good for our media/TV industry as it has a wider remit compared to purely commercial organisations. For me, it ensures niche interests with smaller viewing figures etc get shown (whether online or on TV) rather than just showing Love Island etc because they are popular. Local radio/journalism as well (think about the coverage Oxford Utd get) which is , likewise, important when local papers are shadows of their former selves and probably dying off long term.

The BBC is a valued institution as far as I am concerned.

The very fact that the Left sees it as an establishment mouthpiece run by public school and ex-big business cronies and the right sees it as a hotbed of liberal politically correct leftyism tells me they are doing something right! And have you seen government run stations when you are abroad? They very quickly become government propaganda outlets.

Yes it is valued imo.

To have a publically owned broadcaster is good for our media/TV industry as it has a wider remit compared to purely commercial organisations. For me, it ensures niche interests with smaller viewing figures etc get shown (whether online or on TV) rather than just showing Love Island etc because they are popular. Local radio/journalism as well (think about the coverage Oxford Utd get) which is , likewise, important when local papers are shadows of their former selves and probably dying off long term.

Ten years ago, I would absolutely have agreed with that viewpoint.

But now.....the traditional model of television is dying. Viewers are moving away from the idea of tuning into a specific channel at a specific time to see a program - they're instead, in increasing numbers, streaming content at their own convenience.

And the prevalence of streaming networks hasn't led to a race to the bottom.
In fact, I'd argue the opposite has been true. We're currently in a golden age for documentary filmmakers because they've suddenly got an outlet for their work. Filmmakers of the quality of Scorsese, Cuaron, the Coen Brothers, Baumbach have all developed original work for Netflix in the past year or two (so has Michael Bay, but they can't all be winners).
Hell, a TV show of the quality of Chernobyl has been developed by HBO in association with freakin' Sky.

Seriously, if you look at the great TV shows of the 2010s......and there were many, likely more than any decade before it......how many of them did the BBC have a hand in? No more than a handful.

I loved the BBC - particularly the radio - when I was growing up, and when I was a student. But right now? I think we're getting close to a time when the country should not be taxing the population to provide state-subidised TV, but instead should be trusting the consumers to make their own choices and that they'll support quality and diversity. Because the evidence suggests that this is what is happening.......

Ten years ago, I would absolutely have agreed with that viewpoint.

But now.....the traditional model of television is dying. Viewers are moving away from the idea of tuning into a specific channel at a specific time to see a program - they're instead, in increasing numbers, streaming content at their own convenience.

And the prevalence of streaming networks hasn't led to a race to the bottom.
In fact, I'd argue the opposite has been true. We're currently in a golden age for documentary filmmakers because they've suddenly got an outlet for their work. Filmmakers of the quality of Scorsese, Cuaron, the Coen Brothers, Baumbach have all developed original work for Netflix in the past year or two (so has Michael Bay, but they can't all be winners).
Hell, a TV show of the quality of Chernobyl has been developed by HBO in association with freakin' Sky.

Seriously, if you look at the great TV shows of the 2010s......and there were many, likely more than any decade before it......how many of them did the BBC have a hand in? No more than a handful.

I loved the BBC - particularly the radio - when I was growing up, and when I was a student. But right now? I think we're getting close to a time when the country should not be taxing the population to provide state-subidised TV, but instead should be trusting the consumers to make their own choices and that they'll support quality and diversity. Because the evidence suggests that this is what is happening.......

But the BBC provide streaming options for their programmes. Who would do the niche/educational programmes? And the same with local services etc?

But the BBC provide streaming options for their programmes. Who would do the niche/educational programmes? And the same with local services etc?

And that's what I'm saying - the leading streaming services (Netflix in particular, but also HBO, Amazon Prime, Hulu etc. etc.) do tons of niche and educational programmes.
(hell, HBO signed up Sesame Street late last year and that was a big thing for them).
The gap between what the BBC offers in this regard, and these commercial content providers, has narrowed in this regard to the point where I'm no longer sure it still exists.

Now local services are a different issue. But those are comparatively cheap to produce.
A member-support or donation model may be more appropriate than a nationwide tax.
It works for my local radio station - WXPN - here in New Jersey, which is donor-funded and absolutely excellent.

What the BBC was and is now, is where its issue lies. I barely watch or listen to the BBC any more, and if I was forced to pay for the TV because the license fee is going away, I wouldn't because it doesn't justify the cost to me personally - I could use the money to partly subscribe to Disney+ instead. Other services provide more compelling and interesting content that I want to watch, so that is where my money will and should go. The BBC "tax" feels harsh for those that fall between the dancing show/game show/quiz/cooking show crack, so if I can save £150 a year by binning off the BBC, I will.

It's no surprise than younger people see a legacy organisation like the BBC and don't necessarily use it. The BBC needs to change their attitude to creating content that I or anyone wants to pay for, rather than just sitting back and taking it for granted and complaining if anyone questions the money or their programming. Do we need BBC4? Or all those radio stations?

I must say last nights programme with Ed Balls touring Europe was top drawer. Certainly opened his eyes a bit!

Back
Top Bottom