National News First 100 days of Boris..........

There is a difference, one is fraud the other is legal avoidance.
Although the latter is morally wrong it`s not criminal. :)

Unless the avoidance scheme is found to be evasion (Jimmy Carr type scenario) which clearly reclaiming £560m in 2018/19 suggests that is what has happened.

There is a difference, one is fraud the other is legal avoidance.
Although the latter is morally wrong it`s not criminal. :)
...it should be criminal though. Close the tax (avoidance) loopholes I say. Though thatll fall on deaf ears with the current government. Oh well, nevermind tax avoidance & that theshady tax evaders dont pay in tax, costs 'everyone' else, good old Bojo n Co will at least Get Brexit Done, and thats all that matters isnt it ? :rolleyes:

• React
Reactions: m
...it should be criminal though. Close the tax (avoidance) loopholes I say. Though thatll fall on deaf ears with the current government. Oh well, nevermind tax avoidance & that theshady tax evaders dont pay in tax, costs 'everyone' else, good old Bojo n Co will at least Get Brexit Done, and thats all that matters isnt it ? :rolleyes:

Trouble is folk who work at HMRC and write the rules often jump ship to KPMG et al and advise rich folk how to avoid the rules they wrote....................... then you have "Global Corporations" whose wealth is generated by you, me & everyone else also dodging tax to sell us plastic shite we don`t want or need.

It`s a vicious circle is life................... :rolleyes:

At last, an MP talking some real sense..... IMO 'Smart' motorways are a million miles from being 'smart' , I'd say theyre one of the worst and potentially fatal, introductions by the Government in recent years ....

• React
Reactions: PQ
At last, an MP talking some real sense..... IMO 'Smart' motorways are a million miles from being 'smart' , I'd say theyre one of the worst and potentially fatal, introductions by the Government in recent years ....

You can make the roads as smart as you like, you still have fallible humans in the driving seat.
They have been around since 2006 so we (those who use them) should be getting used to them by now.
However many of us don`t think the rules of the road don`t apply to us........ middle land drivers, folk using phones, folk speeding..... they all think it`s not a rule for them.

You can make the roads as smart as you like, you still have fallible humans in the driving seat.
They have been around since 2006 so we (those who use them) should be getting used to them by now.
However many of us don`t think the rules of the road don`t apply to us........ middle land drivers, folk using phones, folk speeding..... they all think it`s not a rule for them.
It requires a different mindset when using them and I've found one has to be more aware of where the emergency areas are, etc in case of an issue/accident - no taking for granted that a spare lane is there waiting.

I do think there could be some improvements to the tech surrounding them to be more specific when there is an issue, but education is what we need.

It requires a different mindset when using them and I've found one has to be more aware of where the emergency areas are, etc in case of an issue/accident - no taking for granted that a spare lane is there waiting.

I do think there could be some improvements to the tech surrounding them to be more specific when there is an issue, but education is what we need.
Mechanical and electric powered vehicles will and indeed do 'break down' .....with no hard shoulder on smart motorways ( & very few refuge/ layby options) a vehicle that has a (say) puncture has nowhere to go to avoid other traffic. Hence smart motorways, since their introduction, have a ridiculously high fatality rate in comparison to (old fashioned) motorways with the safety factor of a hard shoulder. Vast majority of fatalities have been ploughed into the back of and totally wiped out in under 1 minute of encountering a break down in their vehicle...... those employed to watch and manage smart motorways (via closing what was the hard shoulder as an active driving lane on smart motorways) are not reacting to broken down vehicles fast enough.. .hence the high fatality rate on smart motorways

Mechanical and electric powered vehicles will and indeed do 'break down' .....with no hard shoulder on smart motorways ( & very few refuge/ layby options) a vehicle that has a (say) puncture has nowhere to go to avoid other traffic. Hence smart motorways, since their introduction, have a ridiculously high fatality rate in comparison to (old fashioned) motorways with the safety factor of a hard shoulder. Vast majority of fatalities have been ploughed into the back of and totally wiped out in under 1 minute of encountering a break down in their vehicle...... those employed to watch and manage smart motorways (via closing what was the hard shoulder as an active driving lane on smart motorways) are not reacting to broken down vehicles fast enough.. .hence the high fatality rate on smart motorways

Not only are those watching not reacting quickly enough but neither are the drivers ploughing into them.
My Uncle always said 10mph = 15yds to think & react. At 70mph thats 100 yards in old money.
Always be looking a long way ahead as well as closer. :)

He`s always backed a points based system. If that system says £30k = 10 points or £15k = 2 points it has the same nett effect?

The £30k limit was a big selling point previously to Brexiteers in his party, hence IDS getting politely uppity.

The benefits of smart motorways (meagre as they are) are hardly worth the ridiculous money spent on them, add in the hassle caused during the years it is taking to “upgrade” stretches of a couple of motorway and you wonder how it got the green light in the first place.

It was a s**t idea that no one wanted to be the one to pull the plug on, that doesn’t justify carrying on with it though.

I don't disagree, and having had a few breakdowns in my time on various types of roads, I'm more aware of refuge bays and such on smart motorways in case something happens and the car based GTFO if I breakdown. The tech used on current smart motorways is old (even if it is not old in age) so the problems you prescribe are a real threat when the conditions aren't normal or it fails. The newer versions will see the tech change, but the current ones need a bit more thought and education with drivers on what to do because you can't assume that everyone will react in the same way.

There is no silver bullet to make them accident free or 100% safe because life doesn't work like that.

Back
Top Bottom