Ex Player Ex-Player Thread

Ruffels had covid and then took a while to get back fit.
Toffolo is firmly first choice and even more so in a Huddersfield side who are over-achieving so far this season.
Couldn't have had a worse sequence of events in terms of getting game time really.

But even if it did, I wouldn’t see a problem with it. If you’re on 2k a week and someone offers you 6k a week for three years, that’s a pay rise of more than £600,000. To put that in perspective, if you’re 27 when you sign such a deal then in principle, by the time you’re 30 that pay increase (even after tax) would be enough to leave you virtually mortgage free, depending how flash you want to be. Either way, that one three year deal is life changing if you’re sensible.

Not sure why there is still such a misty eyed view of football from so many. Football clubs think nothing of throwing players away that don’t serve them, be they young kids or players that turn pro only to be deemed surplus to requirements down the line. Every player who makes it has to watch their mates being ruthlessly discarded from a young age. There isn’t a professional player anywhere in the 92 who doesn’t have mates who are working regular jobs, having watched their dream be crushed at one point or another because a club decided they weren’t of any use to them. Why should any player ever have a problem with looking out for themselves? The clubs are the first ones to put a bullet in the heads of others. Fair is fair.

74c4d391df6eabd9d1b58831c3632f23.gif

• Love
Reactions: m
I don’t think Huddersfield are in a very good financial situation, one of my good mates is a season ticket holder there and he didn’t think Ruffels would be on all that much more than he would’ve been here
I can tell you with as much confidence and certainty as I can possibly muster that Ruffels more than doubled his money when he moved there. To a Championship club like Huddersfield with a recent PL history, signing a backup left back on a free transfer with wages of 5/6k a week is what you do when you’re hard up. I would imagine your mate thinks most L1 players are on that sort of money as standard (5k a week is widely touted as the ‘average’ L1 salary) but that number doesn’t reflect what your average left back is earning compared to attacking players, or that the divisional average is skewed by the wage bills of Championship clubs who get relegated, as well as the likes of long-standing mega spenders like Portsmouth, Sunderland etc. Particularly when said left back is at a club that hasn’t been relegated from the Championship in recent seasons, so their salary really is “at the level”. Even Championship clubs who deem themselves to be on a budget pay their backup full backs more than the vast majority of L1 clubs pay their star striker. The gulf is just crazy.

I can tell you with as much confidence and certainty as I can possibly muster that Ruffels more than doubled his money when he moved there. To a Championship club like Huddersfield with a recent PL history, signing a backup left back on a free transfer with wages of 5/6k a week is what you do when you’re hard up. I would imagine your mate thinks most L1 players are on that sort of money as standard (5k a week is widely touted as the ‘average’ L1 salary) but that number doesn’t reflect what your average left back is earning compared to attacking players, or that the divisional average is skewed by the wage bills of Championship clubs who get relegated, as well as the likes of long-standing mega spenders like Portsmouth, Sunderland etc. Particularly when said left back is at a club that hasn’t been relegated from the Championship in recent seasons, so their salary really is “at the level”. Even Championship clubs who deem themselves to be on a budget pay their backup full backs more than the vast majority of L1 clubs pay their star striker. The gulf is just crazy.
obscenely so

Average salary in the Championship is £35,000 a week. Average in League 1 is £5,000 a week.

If Josh Ruffels has 'only' doubled his salary from from he was earning with us, he needs a better agent. There's silly money to be had as a player in the second tier.

The issue is parachute payments from the PL skews the numbers horrifically and the Championship is a financial wild west nowadays. Teams like Reading spend £160 for every £100 they bring in and Derby's big-cash-giveaway to get back in the PL has seen them hit with crippling points deductions to essentially relegate them this year.

I always want to see Oxford do as well as they can but we have to be very careful with the finances. I hope that Bakrie's 'sustainable' model is not just environmental but financial too. We've been down the road of perilous finances a few times in the late 1970s, post-Maxwells and late '90s and I don't want to go there again.

In the recent Leeds-Brentford game where both Tyler Roberts and Shandon Baptiste scored, any stattos out there know if there've been any other premiership games in which more than one ex-OUFCer has scored?

In the recent Leeds-Brentford game where both Tyler Roberts and Shandon Baptiste scored, any stattos out there know if there've been any other premiership games in which more than one ex-OUFCer has scored?
According to the Oxford Mail, Chrissy Allen scored for Forest v Middlesbrough in March 1996, then a minute later Robbie Mustoe equalised.

A full list of scorers is on the article below...

I've found one rather by accident when considering players who scored a top flight goal for us. Chrissy Allen's only league goal for Forest cancelled out by Robbie Mustoe for 'Boro.

I should be working but I'll see if I can think of any more ...

According to the Oxford Mail, Chrissy Allen scored for Forest v Middlesbrough in March 1996, then a minute later Robbie Mustoe equalised.

A full list of scorers is on the article below...

That looks to be just ex-youth team players.
Are we looking for all ex-OUFC players to play / score in the EPL?
Or including in the top flight? (obviously leaving out playing for us)

Did Aldridge and Houghton ever score in the same game for Liverpool? Must have.

We're talking pre-1992 before Sky invented football. John Aldridge never played in the PL despite having enough talent to.

Dean Saunders and Ray Houghton scored a goal a piece for Villa in the same game though - Sun 18th April 1993 in a 3-1 win over Man City. The third Villa goalscorer that day was Oxford-born Garry Parker nonetheless.

EDIT. Found another. Wed 6 Sep 2000 Leicester 2-1 Ipswich. Matt Elliott and Jim Magilton in a game from 2000.

Last edited:
We're talking pre-1992 before Sky invented football. John Aldridge never played in the PL despite having enough talent to.

Dean Saunders and Ray Houghton scored a goal a piece for Villa in the same game though - Sun 18th April 1993 in a 3-1 win over Man City. The third Villa goalscorer that day was Oxford-born Garry Parker nonetheless.

EDIT. Found another. Wed 6 Sep 2000 Leicester 2-1 Ipswich. Matt Elliott and Jim Magilton in a game from 2000.
Pedant. 😁

?? Surely we are talking top league in England.
Sky did not invent football.

Average salary in the Championship is £35,000 a week. Average in League 1 is £5,000 a week.

I can tell you reliably that the average wage in League 1 is not £5k pw, it’s nearer £2200. Whichever average you choose (mean, median or mode) you’re way off, and I say that as someone who has recently worked in a field where I saw the annual salaries of 7 Lge1 clubs. For every Sunderland and Ipswich paying top dollar to their first XI, you’ve got the Morecambes, Accringtons and Wycombes who bring the average right down.

Back
Top Bottom