Ex Player Ex-Player Thread

Sunderland Echo speculating that Sheff Weds may bid for Josh Ruffels in January. He is getting v little game time at Huddersfield

Sunderland Echo speculating that Sheff Weds may bid for Josh Ruffels in January. He is getting v little game time at Huddersfield
Has played 6 minutes in two substitute appearances in the Championship this season. So is a move to the Championship about proving how good you are at that level, or improving your bank balance?

Has played 6 minutes in two substitute appearances in the Championship this season. So is a move to the Championship about proving how good you are at that level, or improving your bank balance?
If you are a professional sportsman you want to challenge yourself at the highest level possible, and back yourself to be able to do it. I don't think 'I'll never play, but I'll get some decent money' ever entered his thoughts.

If you are a professional sportsman you want to challenge yourself at the highest level possible, and back yourself to be able to do it. I don't think 'I'll never play, but I'll get some decent money' ever entered his thoughts.
We all like to think because it might have been our boyhood dream, that all football players love playing football!

I have no evidence but I’d imagine there are a fair number of players that do it because they are good enough to earn a decent living. If they didn’t play football, there is a good chance that they wouldn’t be able to have the same standard of living as they have as a footballer!

But even if it did, I wouldn’t see a problem with it. If you’re on 2k a week and someone offers you 6k a week for three years, that’s a pay rise of more than £600,000. To put that in perspective, if you’re 27 when you sign such a deal then in principle, by the time you’re 30 that pay increase (even after tax) would be enough to leave you virtually mortgage free, depending how flash you want to be. Either way, that one three year deal is life changing if you’re sensible.

Not sure why there is still such a misty eyed view of football from so many. Football clubs think nothing of throwing players away that don’t serve them, be they young kids or players that turn pro only to be deemed surplus to requirements down the line. Every player who makes it has to watch their mates being ruthlessly discarded from a young age. There isn’t a professional player anywhere in the 92 who doesn’t have mates who are working regular jobs, having watched their dream be crushed at one point or another because a club decided they weren’t of any use to them. Why should any player ever have a problem with looking out for themselves? The clubs are the first ones to put a bullet in the heads of others. Fair is fair.

But even if it did, I wouldn’t see a problem with it. If you’re on 2k a week and someone offers you 6k a week for three years, that’s a pay rise of more than £600,000. To put that in perspective, if you’re 27 when you sign such a deal then in principle, by the time you’re 30 that pay increase (even after tax) would be enough to leave you virtually mortgage free, depending how flash you want to be. Either way, that one three year deal is life changing if you’re sensible.

Not sure why there is still such a misty eyed view of football from so many. Football clubs think nothing of throwing players away that don’t serve them, be they young kids or players that turn pro only to be deemed surplus to requirements down the line. Every player who makes it has to watch their mates being ruthlessly discarded from a young age. There isn’t a professional player anywhere in the 92 who doesn’t have mates who are working regular jobs, having watched their dream be crushed at one point or another because a club decided they weren’t of any use to them. Why should any player ever have a problem with looking out for themselves? The clubs are the first ones to put a bullet in the heads of others. Fair is fair.
Plus if you have a couple of bad games you get vile abuse from 'fans' ...

There's an interview somewhere with Emiliano Martinez saying his family/ advisors basically told him he had to move to Arsenal for financial reasons and that he didn't enjoy going out on loan all over the place for years before finally getting regular first team football.

For Ruffels as a free agent, he had the benefit of going to clubs and them not having to pay a transfer fee to us, instead the money saved could be spent as a signing on-fee / higher wages. Would he want a permanent move back down to the Championship? Sheffield Wednesday aren't currently looking like top two contenders.

I don’t think Huddersfield are in a very good financial situation, one of my good mates is a season ticket holder there and he didn’t think Ruffels would be on all that much more than he would’ve been here, obviously will never know but I do think he probably went for the opportunity to play a higher level more than the money, obviously it’s not worked out so far, but I do remember Curtis Nelson got similar stick on here when I don’t think he’d played much at all in the first 15-20 odd games when he went to Cardiff, And I think he’s barely missed a game since then, I don’t think Ruffels is going to do the same, But I’m sure we will get an opportunity at some point and you never know

Back
Top Bottom