Sport Cricket World Cup

I don’t know what it is about this CWC but I can’t get into it. I followed pretty much every match of the last one, even the dead rubbers, but I’ve not really been that bothered with any of them this time around.

Maybe the lack of emotional investment is a blessing on this occasion!

I don’t know what it is about this CWC but I can’t get into it. I followed pretty much every match of the last one, even the dead rubbers, but I’ve not really been that bothered with any of them this time around.

Maybe the lack of emotional investment is a blessing on this occasion!
im the same this time round - though the highlights of India V Pakistan ( yesterday) were an exception to the rule

I've enjoyed having some cricket on to listen to / watch. But many of the games have been very one sided (including today's 😞) which hasn't made it very exciting - no matter how flashy the on screen graphics or how hysterical the stadium announcer gets.

How embarrassing is this?
We will have to do incredibly to make the SF now. It looks like we will (deservedly) be out in the group stage

Reckon you can probably get to the semis with a Won 6 - Lost 3 record. That should be enough for fourth place (most likely behind South Africa, India & NZ).

But that means we could only afford one more loss, and we've still got two of the best three teams in the competition to play.

Hard to work out what their thinking is at the moment.....they're batting less aggressively than they do in Tests; and playing four seamers - including two in Curran and Woakes that are not particularly quick - in Indian conditions?

It's all very like watching England before Eoin Morgan and Ben Stokes changed their attitudes.

So the South Africans are just about to follow up thumping wins against Sri Lanka and Australia by losing to the Dutch.

There still haven't been any really close games this tournament......but at least it's not predictable!

The England team will be thankful there has been a surprise/shock at least as large as their defeat to Afghanistan the other day!

So the South Africans are just about to follow up thumping wins against Sri Lanka and Australia by losing to the Dutch.

There still haven't been any really close games this tournament......but at least it's not predictable!
Amazing result. A few more shocks for the current top 4 please!

Just the 400 to chase down then.

If we don't do it, we've one foot out the door already.....

Just the 400 to chase down then.

If we don't do it, we've one foot out the door already.....

38-4.

That’s a foot out and the other one in the air to take the next step.

It hasn’t ‘felt’ right for this England team. The build up, the squad balance, Stokes coming back in, the late shoehorning of Brook into the team, the tired bowling attack.

Sad though the passing of Bobby Charlton is, I'm equally saddened by the death of Bishan Bedi. I saw him a lot when I first started watching cricket regularly in the 70s - he had the most beautiful and fluid bowling action. He was also something of a character - in recent years he had his name removed from a grandstand as a member of the ruling BJP party was also honoured and he vocally disagreed with many of their views.

Afghanistan's next two games are Sri Lanka and Netherlands. They have a clearer path to the semis than England do!

Afghanistan's next two games are Sri Lanka and Netherlands. They have a clearer path to the semis than England do!
Isnt the only difference that England have India and Afghanistan have Netherlands. The other fixtures are all the same.

All cricket fans in unison. After three.

One …

Two …

Three ..

I blame the Hundred!

Devalue the 50 over format in favour of a format that no other nation plays and this is what happens. From ESPN Cricinfo:

In the four years between the 2015 and 2019 World Cups, England played 88 ODIs and used 34 players, 12 of whom played more than 50% of those games. From 2019-23, they played just 42 ODIs and used 44 players, of whom only eight featured in at least half. The player who won the most caps in this cycle, Jason Roy, is not at the World Cup.

I have no problem with the idea of a franchise tournament in this country. In fact I've argued for one on here in the past, but in a more Test-style, 4 teams 'North', 'Midlands', 'South East', and 'South West + Wales', pick England-qualified players who aren't centrally contracted and use it as a springboard to the Test side.

I'd have no problem with the current franchise tournament if it was a T20 tournament either, but The Hundred? It is doing nothing for the development of our players, and has basically destroyed our only 50-over domestic tournament, as well as stopped Test Cricket in it's tracks for the whole of the best month to actually have it played.

All cricket fans in unison. After three.

One …

Two …

Three ..

I blame the Hundred!

Devalue the 50 over format in favour of a format that no other nation plays and this is what happens. From ESPN Cricinfo:

In the four years between the 2015 and 2019 World Cups, England played 88 ODIs and used 34 players, 12 of whom played more than 50% of those games. From 2019-23, they played just 42 ODIs and used 44 players, of whom only eight featured in at least half. The player who won the most caps in this cycle, Jason Roy, is not at the World Cup.

I don't think you can use the hard number of matches played as a direct comparison for those two time periods given the decimation of the international fixture schedule due to COVID.

However, the high rotation of players was telling. There has been a number of significant ODI retirements in the past few years first, after the 2019 win, and second, after the T20 World Cup win last year,

Back
Top Bottom