Brexit

The arrogance is astonishing, isn't it? I thought we'd got over this 'we're GREAT Britain and the world will be beating a path to be associated with us', but apparently not.

Many Brexiteers continue to display an engrained xenophobia combined with an over-inflated opinion in the importance of this country on a world stage. Simplistic nonsense.
Sitting on the fence with the argument, but we are the 6th largest economy in the world, I believe.

• React
Reactions: Ian
6th biggest economy in the world thanks to great trade advantages. The trade deals we have contain rules. Apparently we don't want to abide by those rules... So we will rip up every trade advantage we have and start again - although we will still be bound by the rules of the WTO - the rules many who want Brexit actually want to be rid of... the same rules that also restrict our trading alliance, the EU.

The people who make this country the 6th largest economy (not the billionaires who want to avoid taxation) are opposing Brexit. Hence the fears of Airbus, Nissan, BMW, and all the small British suppliers of engineering components. And then let's not start to think about our service industry. Apparently, overnight they will displace companies based in Switzerland and Singapore in their markets.

Yes, some countries like the idea of the UK out of the EU. Chile and Korea for example, because they think that they can achieve a better deal from us... They think they can gain a trading advantage over us.

As I say, not wishing to get into that argument. But regardless, we are the worlds 6th largest economy. For better, for worse or the side of battle bus.

6th biggest economy in the world thanks to great trade advantages. The trade deals we have contain rules. Apparently we don't want to abide by those rules... So we will rip up every trade advantage we have and start again - although we will still be bound by the rules of the WTO - the rules many who want Brexit actually want to be rid of... the same rules that also restrict our trading alliance, the EU.

The people who make this country the 6th largest economy (not the billionaires who want to avoid taxation) are opposing Brexit. Hence the fears of Airbus, Nissan, BMW, and all the small British suppliers of engineering components. And then let's not start to think about our service industry. Apparently, overnight they will displace companies based in Switzerland and Singapore in their markets.

Yes, some countries like the idea of the UK out of the EU. Chile and Korea for example, because they think that they can achieve a better deal from us... They think they can gain a trading advantage over us.

so you dont think the eu needs changes etc the eu is to powerful and the people running it have to much power have to wonder what itay will do next also .

Last edited:
so you dont think the eu needs changes etc the eu is to powerful and the people running it have to much power have to wonder what itay will do next also .

Er yeah, the EU needs huge reform, so let's remove our power to do it.

Yes, but when we've 'taken back control', we are likely to have the likes of Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg in power. They are bound to restrict the power of corporations, increase spending on the NHS, improve social equality etc. Not.

That should make Danny feel better - being put down by real British people rather than Johnny Foreigner!

Remember when KFC changed chicken suppliers? They were unprepared and the restaurants went into meltdown. Imagine a whole country changing suppliers or logistics for everything? #justsaying

Remember when KFC changed chicken suppliers? They were unprepared and the restaurants went into meltdown. Imagine a whole country changing suppliers or logistics for everything? #justsaying
Yes but at least we'll have that sweet, sweet chicken while we burn.

Hold on a minute. The completely undivided Tory party are negotiating for all they are worth to get the best possible deal for someone or other while certainly not hating their leader, while the completely undivided Labour lot are brilliantly doing the job of Her Majesty's Opposition and scrutinising what's going on while suggesting their own brilliant strategy and certainly not hating their leader.

What can possibly go wrong?

Let's not forget the dear old Lib Dems who are happily looking for an outside leader to help them do something. No previous experience required, only 3 careful owners.

Let's not forget the dear old Lib Dems who are happily looking for an outside leader to help them do something. No previous experience required, only 3 careful owners.

At least they are consistent and united in their view of Brexit, just like the SNP.

Yes the EU does need to reform to make it more accountable to the people, but what about the British Parliament, does that represent the people who voted in the last General Election? I wonder what the result would be if people could vote for who they want and know that their vote counted towards a fair and democratic Parliament. JUST SAYING

At least they are consistent and united in their view of Brexit, just like the SNP.
And look where it got them! Even more marginalised than they already were on the national stage.

Vince Cable was last seen missing an important vote in the Commons with Tim Farron.

Last edited:
And look where it got them! Even more marginalised than they already were on the national stage.

Vince Cable was last seen missing an important vote in the Commons with Tim Farron.

They actually gained seats iirc but still. They are also at least consistent unlike Labour/Tories with their infighting. Basically, both of them putting their party requirements ahead of the needs of the nation*.

*Whether they supported Brexit or Remain imho.

They actually gained seats iirc but still. They are also at least consistent unlike Labour/Tories with their infighting. Basically, both of them putting their party requirements ahead of the needs of the nation*.

*Whether they supported Brexit or Remain imho.
But still on a national stage, irrelevant and disappearing into the background. Their all in EU hand busted out, no matter the many existential crises out there. It doesn't bode well for their resurgence. Making hay while the sun shines springs to mind!

Slightly off-topic (well very off-topic), but can someone explain the current anti-Semitism row in the Labour party to me in short, easily understandable words?

As I understand it, they are considering adopting the UN definition of anti-Semitism, but want to put in an extra clause that says they reserve the right to criticise Israel - I suspect with reference to their treatment of the Palestinians. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me: Israel is a country, and you can't give a country carte blanche to do what it likes without criticism. So I am obviously hugely missing the point. You can criticise China with being racist about Chinese people, France without being anti the French etc...

Anyone?

Last edited:
Incredibly logical thinking from our Danny, although I would challenge Danny's assertions that 'the eu is to (sic) powerful and the people running it have to (sic) much power.' The nature of being in charge of anything means you have power. Don't see a problem with that. Almost as if Danny feels powerless himself and is railing against 'power' in general out of some sort of jealousy / bitterness.

so i suppose you think our goverments are evil and the eu is a all great .

Slightly off-topic (well very off-topic), but can someone explain the current anti-Semitism row in the Labour party to me in short, easily understandable words?

As I understand it, they are considering adopting the UN definition of anti-Semitism, but want to put in an extra clause that says they reserve the right to criticise Israel - I suspect with reference to their treatment of the Palestinians. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me: Israel is a country, and you can't give a country carte blanche to do what it likes without criticism. So I am obviously hugely missing the point. You can criticise China with being racist about Chinese people, France without being anti the French etc...

Anyone?
Oh Jeremy Corbyn has a history of associating with t'other side of the Israel camp - the sort of people like Hezbollah and Hamas - and calling them "friends" - unclear if misguided or a weasling out of what he belives or innocent. Meanwhile, people like Ken Livingstone have made a series of pathetic comments about Jews. While the Labour party National Executive Council has let in some rather undesirable Trots, young Corbynistas and others. The last Labour conference had some fringe events with some odd comments about Jews. As time has gone on, some of Corbyn's previous activist stuff has slowly caught up with him, and the inability to properly censure Livingstone with his comments or just take on board the earth wide recognition of anti-semitism, is only making it worse. MPs like Naz Shah have only made it further worse by making silly comments and then being made a shadow minister. Corybn's inability to lead has been shown up.

A shipshow that the Tories would even struggle to top.

Oh Jeremy Corbyn has a history of associating with t'other side of the Israel camp - the sort of people like Hezbollah and Hamas - and calling them "friends" - unclear if misguided or a weasling out of what he belives or innocent. Meanwhile, people like Ken Livingstone have made a series of pathetic comments about Jews. While the Labour party National Executive Council has let in some rather undesirable Trots, young Corbynistas and others. The last Labour conference had some fringe events with some odd comments about Jews. As time has gone on, some of Corbyn's previous activist stuff has slowly caught up with him, and the inability to properly censure Livingstone with his comments or just take on board the earth wide recognition of anti-semitism, is only making it worse. MPs like Naz Shah have only made it further worse by making silly comments and then being made a shadow minister. Corybn's inability to lead has been shown up.

A shipshow that the Tories would even struggle to top.

The Tories have their own equally similar problems with Islamophobia hence why they've been quiet about Labour's Jewish issues.

As for Labour and anti-Semitism, whilst they adopted the internationally accepted definition, they didn't include 2 of the examples (iirc one was comparing Israeli Govt actions to those of the Nazis). Couple this with the reluctance or exceptionally slow disciplinary process for those accused of making anti-Semitic comments; and certain members (one who has just been re-elected supported by Momentum) of the NEC claiming there isn't any such anti-semitic comments and then getting angry when other NEC members say there are.

Again coupled with Jeremy Corbyn's inability to apologise or chastise those who make such comments combined with his obvious support for the Palestinian cause has turned it into a shitstorm for Labour.

And the Daily Mail has been running hard with this by pulling out any perceived slight against Jews from Labour people and jumping on anything to do with Corbyn and the Palestinians.

Back
Top Bottom