BMW plant - Brexit

God, are we still using the “Well the majority voted for it so there!” spiel.

Here’s a thought. Maybe the majority who turned out bet on the wrong horse, and the adults should step in before it all completely goes to s**t.

“You didn’t save my life, you ruined my death!” springs to mind.

My word we are screwed with so many people doubling down rather than going “Do you know what... maybe this isn’t as good as we thought at the time.”

I`ve changed my mind since the first referendum thanks to the information available.
Like you say its those with the experience of what we thought we signed up to that have said "Hold on a minute"... the adults. ;)

Observation (no science): seems self-evident that on this and other Brexit-related threads, there are plenty of posters who are very concerned about the potentially detrimental effects of leaving.

Very few posters seem confident that 'everything will be alright' even though we're led to believe that around half of the voting population are still leavers.

I will reasonably deduce from this observation that fewer leavers on here have strong arguments they are willing to share online.

Dont fear what you dont know. Just because the "easy option" is stay as you are, doesn`t mean the alternative is the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

• Haha
Reactions: Ian
Observation (no science): seems self-evident that on this and other Brexit-related threads, there are plenty of posters who are very concerned about the potentially detrimental effects of leaving.

Very few posters seem confident that 'everything will be alright' even though we're led to believe that around half of the voting population are still leavers.

I will reasonably deduce from this observation that fewer leavers on here have strong arguments they are willing to share online.

Or they have busy lives and wasting it debating politics on an Oxford United football forum is not a big priority.

I believe your list to be wrong. Monaco not only uses the Euro, it's a member of the Customs Union.

Mauritania also has trade agreements.

There's some research online that knocked every single country off the list of notions solely relying on WTO terms.
well, it was the list trumpeted by the government!

I, as a leaver, still believe it is the right option. I do accept that there will be challenges faced by us as there have been by members of the EU.
The serious issue we face at the moment is the length of time it has taken exit. The only issue dominating at the moment is brexit. The politicians want to stay in regardless of the referendum outcome...they called the referendum and don’t like what has happened and want to reverse the result.
Firstly we may find the exit date is delayed, then we might face calls for a second referendum to be called.
I think a deal needs to be negotiated as a hard brexit is likely to cause damage in the short to medium term
But the real problem is uncertainty what is going to happen on March 29.
Industry would be less concerned if there was less uncertainty

I, as a leaver, still believe it is the right option. I do accept that there will be challenges faced by us as there have been by members of the EU.
The serious issue we face at the moment is the length of time it has taken exit. The only issue dominating at the moment is brexit. The politicians want to stay in regardless of the referendum outcome...they called the referendum and don’t like what has happened and want to reverse the result.
Firstly we may find the exit date is delayed, then we might face calls for a second referendum to be called.
I think a deal needs to be negotiated as a hard brexit is likely to cause damage in the short to medium term
But the real problem is uncertainty what is going to happen on March 29.
Industry would be less concerned if there was less uncertainty
Did it never occur to you as significant that most politicians on both sides, who are generally educated successful people , are against it? Most of those in favour just want a US style low wage economy with few rights for workers. It’s ordinary younger people who will suffer

Did it never occur to you as significant that most politicians on both sides, who are generally educated successful people , are against it? Most of those in favour just want a US style low wage economy with few rights for workers. It’s ordinary younger people who will suffer
I don’t understand that argument to be honest. What is your view of how the impasse can be resolved? Do,we go for a second referendum as the government can’t or won’t make any decision, or do the government do what the people asked for when consulted?
I’ve heard the argument put forward that the young people stand to lose out with brexit. They were the largest group of voters not to turn up suggesting that they weren’t that interested either way.

I don’t understand that argument to be honest. What is your view of how the impasse can be resolved? Do,we go for a second referendum as the government can’t or won’t make any decision, or do the government do what the people asked for when consulted?
I’ve heard the argument put forward that the young people stand to lose out with brexit. They were the largest group of voters not to turn up suggesting that they weren’t that interested either way.
Ask them again then, just to be sure we know what they want.

After all, kids never answer a question the first time you ask them (well, mine rarely do[emoji16])

Is that to get the result remainers want? If the result had gone the opposite way I’m certain we wouldn’t have been asked for another referendum to clarify the wrong result.
I think both sides have to agree on one thing....the whole saga has been a complete mess. Lies on both sides. Forecasts of doom and gloom if we come out, also playing down by pro brexit politicians of the significance of leaving with no deal...dragging out events now causing potential meltdown in the car industry.
Separate from brexit....how can Theresa May possibly seriously believe that the drastic reduction in police numbers hasn’t caused an upsurge in knife crime

Is that to get the result remainers want? If the result had gone the opposite way I’m certain we wouldn’t have been asked for another referendum to clarify the wrong result.
I think both sides have to agree on one thing....the whole saga has been a complete mess. Lies on both sides. Forecasts of doom and gloom if we come out, also playing down by pro brexit politicians of the significance of leaving with no deal...dragging out events now causing potential meltdown in the car industry.
Separate from brexit....how can Theresa May possibly seriously believe that the drastic reduction in police numbers hasn’t caused an upsurge in knife crime

I certain Farage and co would as they said publically they would especially with a 52/48 result.

Well as I understand it, there's going to be three votes next week:
Tuesday is May asking MPs "Are you sure you don't want to accept my deal?" Would seem to me that any MP in favour of Brexit should be voting with May this time round, because it's the clearest route to Brexit actually happening. But even if they do, I'm not sure there's enough votes in parliament for it to get through.
Assuming it doesn't, Wednesday is "Shall we leave without a deal"? Answer to that is going to be no.
Assuming that's the case, Thursday is "Shall we kick the can down the road"? And the answer to that has to be Yes, otherwise it's No Deal Brexit by default.

So then what next? Well, it seems to me that if we can't get a majority vote for the deal that's on the table, can't renegotiate that deal, and can't get a majority for leaving without a deal, then there's only two options:
  1. Hold a general election, in the hope that a newly elected parliament with a different make up can get a majority vote for a particular course of action, or
  2. Hold another referendum and let the people decide how to get out of this mess.

I think #2 would be a massive dereliction of duty on behalf of parliament. But they're fast proving themselves incapable of making this decision on their own.

Well I’ve got no bloody idea how to move forward. Tragically there is no meaningful opposition who can contribute an alternative

the opposition repeatedly presents alternatives. The Conservative Pqrty is so focussed on its internal wrangles and not upsetting the crazed DUP they are unable to accept any.

Back
Top Bottom