Votes: 77 44.0%
  • Call in the Donald

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Call in Noel Edmonds

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • I don't care anymore

Votes: 37 21.1%

• Total voters
So the integration of all of these various European initiatives, agreements and institutions that have evolved over the last 75 odd years into one place under one common set of rules and definitions is a bad thing because........?

I get that you feel we've had no say in this, but you also admit that we have the ability to elect representatives to that Parliament every 5 years (much as we do to our own Parliament). They get to have a say in what the EU carries forward (much as MP's do in our own domestic parliament when bills are brought forward). Moreover, as a member state we can ultimately veto anything and vote against measures, regulations or directives we simply cannot live with....but how many times have we actually done that?

In our domestic parliament, if we don't like they way it is going, we can kick them out and maybe the government too if enough people think they same way. However - and here is the news.....you as an individual, get very little say whatsoever in what bills are brought forward, nor how your MP chooses ultimately to vote, based on the evidence presented or on the wishes of the party they represent. Would you like a peoples vote on the contents of the queens speech, I wonder?

I wonder if bills such as Universal Credit or the Bedroom Tax would've been passed into law if a plebiscite had been used to decide their fate?

And yet, you are saying this is the very thing the EU is guilty of - not putting decisions on legislative and policy matters back to the people...and this is why they are unaccountable...........really?

As for block voting, Politicians will pretty much always try to find a block to vote with because that is how they use their influence to best effect, regardless of if this is domestic or EU - sometimes they have to swallow hard to do that, sometimes they are lobbied and influenced by industry groups to do it, sometimes they are whipped into it and every now and again, they do so because that's what their constituents will tell them they want. But lets not kid ourselves that block voting is a phenomenon of EU politics.

When the opportunity arose, 17.4 million people decided that all these things that the EU do have an undue and negative influence on their everyday life and because that decision making process was too remote for them, it was a bad thing. You can hopefully understand why I and many others have such a problem with this point of view. Firstly, I would seriously question the negative impact, secondly I would seriously question the perception of how politics, either domestic or European is influenced by the electorate and thirdly, I would point out that the end result is that you will still have people who may not represent your views making decisions on and passing into law legislation you do not like and feel disenfranchised by.

As for the contribution. It would be fair to compare that to the size of our economy in global terms in comparison to other member state contributions. And is that 13% before or after our rebate :unsure:

You’ve posted a couple of nice diagrams but they don’t explain why you think the EU is “ a leech”. Nor do you explain why the fact that leaving is being made difficult. We contribute to the EU budget and we receive a fair amount in return both in funds for all kinds of thigs from regional development to medical research. We also do t have to ha e the massive customs and bureaucracy infrastructure we’re now having to develop
You’ve yet again failed to explain why you think it’s appropriate to rush through the details of the legislation determining our future relationship with the EU in 3 days without giving time for proper parliamentary scrutiny.

It produces nothing, it takes and administers at great cost.

The monthly move Strasbourg to Brussels costs £113 million .... for what may I ask?

£13.2 billion goes to the EU from the UK and we get £4.3 billion back.

Deficit of £8.9 billion..... could we spend that here?

Once we reached Maastricht we should have had a say there. However we are where we are.

We`ve had 3 years to debate the content of a bill, don`t forget all the white papers published last year (and previously) that actually match the current bill and many have not changed!

This bill hasn`t actually "appeared overnight".

It was published yesterday.

You’re just spraying out random data now.

Answer the question. Why do you think it acceptable that a bill which determine the country’s future should have so little scrutiny?

Time for my factspaff........

Wow...3rd in contributions with a big rebate for a country with the 2nd biggest GDP in the EU

In total that makes us the 4th largest contributor as a % of GDP behind Netherlands, Germany and Sweden

And when you look at Net contributions per capita, we're only a paltry 5th behind Netherlands, Germany, Sweden and Denmark....do they know who were are?!?!?

We're getting an absolute clucking bargain ?

For more facts and comparison between who pays what and where it goes, take a look here: https://www.europarl.europa.eu/external/html/budgetataglance/default_en.html

Here's a little task for you....see if you can find another member state with such a massive red bar against their breakdown in contributions as the UK.

Still think we're getting a bad deal?

Ignoring for the moment all the pros and cons.....it's possible that we'll know in an hour which way Brexit is going to go.

I can't imagine anyone would vote in favour of a three day accelerated Commons timetable, and then vote against the deal or in favour of an amendment that neuters it later in the week. For all the reasons listed above, this timetable is undeniably dumb so if you vote for it, you're doing so because you already know you're supporting the bill.

So if BoJo wins this one, then I suspect he will get his bill through parliament and we'll be leaving in time for Halloween.

If he loses this one, then we're back into 'All bets are off' territory...….

This thread is quality. I can’t wait for it all to go insanely tits up when Boris and his mates eventually find a way to tip us out on the sly. It is going to be utter carnage, and every single person here who still can’t bring themselves to say “I don’t want to risk losing when I thought I’d won, and I don’t want to admit that I didn’t really win anyway because it was all a bunch of lies” has got to keep a straight face while saying it isn’t a big deal, and that everything would have somehow been better if that person here didn’t say that thing there blah blah blah blah. The cognitive dissonance on display, as is the case for much of the nation as a whole, is positively awesome.

I am utterly hooked. It’s better than any show I’ve ever seen.

Already hit locally: Honda, BMW, Oxford university researchers - and we haven’t left yet...

So parliament rejects BoJo's timetable, whilst still indicating general support for the deal......

Which means we're back into 'All bets are off' territory.

Over to the EU, although it would seem very very unlikely that they won't authorize another extension at this point, given the apparent progress.

So parliament rejects BoJo's timetable, whilst still indicating general support for the deal......

Which means we're back into 'All bets are off' territory.

Over to the EU, although it would seem very very unlikely that they won't authorize another extension at this point, given the apparent progress.

Depends on the length of the extension.
Lengthy extension, ie months, then GE looks likely.
Short extension, ie days, then Government may compromise on timetable.

You really do have to wonder what devil is in the detail. Clarke posed a perfectly reasonable option which would have provided a little more time to review the agreement.

Unfortunately Johnson has cancelled the ‘party’ with his own rhetoric of the 31st October. Yes the date was agreed as a result of EU discussion, however, his constant chest beating backed him into a corner.

It would be nice (but unlikely given his perceived character) that he agrees some form of technical extension to allow time for the agreement to be reviewed and voted on.

I’m not sure a general election is massively in his interest either unless he does decide some sort of pact with the Brexit Party.

Pretty simple really to work out what it should ask:

Part A - Leave or Remain.

Part B - if we leave, what is the preferred option:
No deal or Governments negotiated deal.

So, if from part a the majority vote to remain, then remain. If the majority vote to leave, then whichever of the two leave options has the most votes happens.

Should be simple enough for the electorate to understand.

As said by many people, many times previously, the vast majority of the public now know far more about what leaving means than they did 3 years ago.
Have you checked what the EC think is fair? What I have seen people on both sides propose, to my surprise at times, breaches the fairness part of the EC rules.

Back to my original questions:
a) what is legal b) what is fair c) who decides on what is voted on d) when we vote e) who can vote on it f) what type of referendum it is

At least Parliament finally voted for the WAB eh? They've taken 3 1/2 years to get to this point, so well done them! I look forward to the next excuse for them to kick the can down the road, starting with the amount of time to review the bill that 40+% or said they wouldn't vote for it before they saw it, and then it will be something else.

I can't be the only one waiting for a GE but then there will be an anodyne can kick again because in reality, that is really what this parliament does.

A pretty fair summary from Clarke this morning:

Former Conservative and now independent MP Ken Clarke has told BBC News that the narrative on last night’s debate has been spun by “these strange people that Boris has put in Downing Street” (aka Dominic Cummings).
He said parliament voted by a clear majority in favour of leaving the European Union with a deal. “The only thing that was killed off was the idea that it had to be on halloween,” he said.
“It’s always been a mystery to me why that date has been given a sacred significance. It’s a completely unimportant date. It was plucked out of the air last time the eurosceptics caused delay and stopped us leaving twice earlier this year and it has no significance”.
Clarke said that even ministers were still discovering yesterday what the deal in its present form actually means. He said the Brexit secretary found out yesterday that, as it stands, the deal requires customs documents for all goods that pass between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.
“Things like that have got to be sorted out,” he said. “Parliament is not defying the people, it is just insisting that we have something that is sensible and works and is practical.”
Asked about the idea that “parliament is broken”, Clarke says: “This bloke in Downing Street (Cummings) keeps saying that. Even Boris has not said that ... The government has just got the second reading of its bill.”

It was published yesterday.

You’re just spraying out random data now.

Answer the question. Why do you think it acceptable that a bill which determine the country’s future should have so little scrutiny?

The bill is the index to a broad range of legislation, much of which is equal too or better than current EU law.

To create a bill a lot of work from all parties will have happened beforehand in terms of committee`s and white papers.

If you think that 115 pages were "pulled out of a hat" between Saturday & Monday you might need to do some homework on Parliamentary process.

On the bright side the bill was passed, another hurdle over come.

Now its down to our elected members to do some scrutiny work whilst the EU decides what to do next.

Reality is that the EU will consider an extension, but would need to arrange a summit to ratify it. Only takes 1 member to object when they vote on it.

Interesting factoid is that I don`t know if the UK is allowed to vote as we would still be a member ....... :unsure:

Actually, they didn't vote for the bill, they voted to give it a further reading and some proper scrutiny. No different to the passage of any other legislation.

They then rather understandably agreed that not enough time had been set aside by government to give it that proper scrutiny and decide based on the evidence and impact statements presented to support it (lest we forget none of which has actually been provided by HMG).

Boris's Halloween obsession has got us here and his lack of attention to detail (seemingly not his strong point) explains why this slapdash approach has been attempted and rejected.

Why is he soooooo afraid of scrutiny[emoji848]

Food for thought? .....theres over 50 sitting MPs (21 expelled) who since the last GE have 'changed' allegiance from the party they were elected to represent. Many of them will not be selected to stand as MPs in the next GE (when we get one) .....yet they are getting to vote on desicions that will affect the UK for generations, even though perhaps there should have already been by elections in the constituencies the 50+ represent? ....apparently its fine for sitting MPs to change their mind (specifically on the brexit situation), but the people are not ,even though 'we' are better informed than 3 years ago, being given the oppertunity to ratify or reject the current brexit deal? A peoples vote and/or GE is IMO the way forward forward out of this divisive mess

I would go with a GE, we need a representative executive with a mandate.

I would also add in that any elected MP that changes sides should have a mandatory by-election, but that is a wish list item!

Ironic that people (generally the runners up) seem to think 3 years is "enough time to be better informed", yet the preceding 40+ years since the last EEC referendum wasn`t. I can`t recall a 40 year campaign for "another vote" even though there were plenty of opportunities?

Applying the logic of "people live, people die & folk reach the age of majority" then we would be down to referendum every Week? Day? Hour?

Then we have the electorate, they can vote or not if they are registered and get off the sofa. If they don`t then they missed the chance. Tough.

When it came to the purest form of democracy, yes or no to a simple question, 17.4 million folk said Leave. More than those who wished to Remain.

The establishment & those wishing to remain weren`t expecting it, and the reality is that a fair old chunk of those 17.4 million are still around with their pens poised to strike again.

As was said "The pen is mightier than the sword". ;)

Back
Top Bottom