Championship Appleton new Blackpool boss

I think a lot of folk forget that Mappy came here with Ashton as the CEO and Eales doing what he was told. When Ashton and Eales fell out, things went down. Eales was then under the cosh to unload the football club and pulled all the finance. Mappy walked because he could see there was no future under Eales.
Would I welcome him back? I don't know. He has had a lean period and was ill for some of that time. Is the same hungry, astute and football wise manager? Would I take him over KR? In a flash.

Wouldn't want him back just because of the way he left to go for an assistant role.
Harsh, Eales was cutting finances left right and centre. Everything around him was being torn to shreds ready to sell the club. He knew he didn't have the resources, financially or structurally to build on the previous season. He had already lost his job under ownership issues at multiple former clubs and made the safe decision for him and his family when Shakespear offered him the job at Leicester. I don't begrudge him whatsoever.

Harsh, Eales was cutting finances left right and centre. Everything around him was being torn to shreds ready to sell the club. He knew he didn't have the resources, financially or structurally to build on the previous season. He had already lost his job under ownership issues at multiple former clubs and made the safe decision for him and his family when Shakespear offered him the job at Leicester. I don't begrudge him whatsoever.
So true.

Also, Mapp back in a heartbeat over KR. I know going back doesn't always work out but I don't think that would be the case with Mapp, he has unfinished business, he left too soon (for us to enjoy it, ignoring the off field issues). Put that structure around him (with a Mark Ashton alternative) and the budgets we have now and I think we'd see instant progress over KR.

It would probably ignite the fanbase and create that buzz currently missing around the place, we'd have a manager who the fans would offer a bit of time and patience to build his own squad.

It won't happen but it's nice to imagine.

Not for me. He chose to leave and that decision will be forever hanging over him if he were to return.

A disappointing run and it would be moments before the first post along the lines of ‘get rid, hearts not in it. We should dump him, just like he did to us. We owe him nothing’

That's a bit of an understatement. And the reason we ended up with the dream* centre-back pairing of McGuckin and Jarman. We also had the worst shirt I've ever seen us play in that season, some mustardy-coloured abomination.

* Nightmares are dreams.
Ah yes, the 'Domino' kit. That was a shocker, the fabric was also like a netted vest from what I remember. Pretty sure we also finished bottom of the league that year in our last season at The Manor...

He has a pretty poor CV.
He did well at Oxford and had one good season at Lincoln. Other than that pretty poor
He really needs to go somewhere and stay for three or four years.

I think he's a better manager than Robinson but it's not guaranteed that he'd improve us this time around, or that Robinson wouldn't improve them.

Not for me. He chose to leave and that decision will be forever hanging over him if he were to return.

A disappointing run and it would be moments before the first post along the lines of ‘get rid, hearts not in it. We should dump him, just like he did to us. We owe him nothing’
Also got rid of Hylton. Could not believe it at the time......having said that, looking at the montage of photos at the back of the East Stand, one stands out. The champagne celebration with Division Two promotion. What a team Mapp put together. Jury is out on this one, but you never know.

Anyone know/believe the board to be genuinely keeping their eyes open for opportunities with other coaches? Or are they doubling down on what we have with tunnel vision for the end of the season? Think I know the answer but just curious what might make them alter their stance and Appleton is surely circulating in their Watsapp group today....

PS.... Might Karl throw his hat in the ring for Blackpool?????

Anyone know/believe the board to be genuinely keeping their eyes open for opportunities with other coaches? Or are they doubling down on what we have with tunnel vision for the end of the season? Think I know the answer but just curious what might make them alter their stance and Appleton is surely circulating in their Watsapp group today....

Won’t be a change till the end of the season barring a major collapse in results with threat of relegation.

Ah yes, the 'Domino' kit. That was a shocker, the fabric was also like a netted vest from what I remember. Pretty sure we also finished bottom of the league that year in our last season at The Manor...

We didn't just finish bottom of the league, we conceded 100 goals in the league that season.

I don't believe that any club has managed that in the third tier since. Our defense was another level, generationally bad that year!

I don't think anyone could begin to suggest that Robbo has been better for Oxford than Appleton was when you look at what they took over and then what they achieved, also I'd say Appleton got more gems in the transfer market despite having far less goes at it. He did have a far smoother backroom set up though, that summer when Eales had his issues and needed to sell was a real sliding doors moment for the club, if he had stayed and kept things running as they were with Ashton there too then I'm certain we'd be a Championship club by now. We finished closer to the playoffs in Appleton's season in League 1 than we did last year and that was with a team that had just been promoted and sold the best player in the league the season before in Roofe, although I thought at the time it was madness to let Wright and Hylton go.

Hard to say how it would work now as I think the whole operation was smoother back then, although I suspect he would be a decent improvement on the current incumbent.

9 wins in 43 for Blackpool over two spells and he departs on a 4 year contract. They've had some bad injuries like us this year but that was quite frankly a weird appointment.

Also got rid of Hylton. Could not believe it at the time......having said that, looking at the montage of photos at the back of the East Stand, one stands out. The champagne celebration with Division Two promotion. What a team Mapp put together. Jury is out on this one, but you never know.
Ridding Hylton and Wright was absolutely shocking decisions for us going forward. He really wanted the team to be his own in the end and then he left us!

Back
Top Bottom