Championship Appleton new Blackpool boss

I agree.

But they still didn’t achieve anything success wise.

And now you see their player of the year Naismith join Bristol City, 3rd favourites for relegation.

This is a very strange measure of 'success'.

Success can mean something different to every club. Staying up, making the top half, making the playoffs, automatically promoted, qualifying for one of Europe's minor campaigns, winning a cup or simply making the third round of the FA Cup. It doesn't have to be promotion or nothing to be deemed successful. 2016-17 was a successful season for us - easy-on-the-eye football, fifth round of the FA Cup. EFL Trophy final, 8th place (our highest position since 1999) and beating Swindon twice. We didn't win anything but I'd still call it successful.

When we were in the top flight from 1985 to 1988, were we a failure because we didn't win the Division 1 title? It was a mere 46 points difference in 1986 between our 18th place finish Liverpool finishing top. Fine margins ... No - it was a success because we stayed up.

For this season and even in the context of strong competition from the usual suspects, I do expect us to be aiming for more than the playoffs. The mood music from the club is positive and talk of increased budgets and good signings suggests we are aiming for more. I still think League 1 is hot this year so getting into the top two will be tricky so playoffs wouldn't be too disappointing. I want to avoid them altogether if we can.

Success can mean something different to every club. Staying up, making the top half, making the playoffs, automatically promoted, qualifying for one of Europe's minor campaigns, winning a cup or simply making the third round of the FA Cup. It doesn't have to be promotion or nothing to be deemed successful. 2016-17 was a successful season for us - easy-on-the-eye football, fifth round of the FA Cup. EFL Trophy final, 8th place (our highest position since 1999) and beating Swindon twice. We didn't win anything but I'd still call it successful.

When we were in the top flight from 1985 to 1988, were we a failure because we didn't win the Division 1 title? It was a mere 46 points difference in 1986 between our 18th place finish Liverpool finishing top. Fine margins ... No - it was a success because we stayed up.

For this season and even in the context of strong competition from the usual suspects, I do expect us to be aiming for more than the playoffs. The mood music from the club is positive and talk of increased budgets and good signings suggests we are aiming for more. I still think League 1 is hot this year so getting into the top two will be tricky so playoffs wouldn't be too disappointing. I want to avoid them altogether if we can.
The voice of common sense.

Of the two ways of avoiding the play-offs, I would say that finishing outside of the top 6 is more likely.
Other than that I agree with what you are saying.
For our club, success next season will be getting the new ground approval.
Obviously relegation would be a huge disappointment, and we have yet to see if the likes of Brannagan decide to make a move to the Championship and more money, rather than risk another season of L1.

For our club, success next season will be getting the new ground approval.

I mean this is the real truth.

For all the talk of becoming a 'Top 30' club......well that's almost impossible to do when you're paying too much rent for a ground that probably wouldn't rank in the Top 50. Certainly in the long term, it is.

Whatever happens on the pitch.....promotion/playoffs/midtable/relegation......what happens off the pitch in the next twelve months is more important for OUFC's future.

Well he never really got Lincoln going in the time he was there and I don’t suppose that their fans are too upset at his departure.
I hope he does well at Blackpool but suspect that he will face a tough few months.
Can’t see him lasting a season.

Well he never really got Lincoln going in the time he was there and I don’t suppose that their fans are too upset at his departure.
I hope he does well at Blackpool but suspect that he will face a tough few months.
Can’t see him lasting a season.

He got them to the play offs in his 1st season iirc. 2nd season wasn't good mind but not surprising with Cancer being diagnosed/treated.

Manager swap deal???

Terrible swap deal considering they have just sacked Appleton, they would be giving us something they no longer own (admittedly for something we no longer want).

I would have him back today, some people just fit at a club and with ambitious new owners, a new stadium hopefully in the pipeline and his star on the wane now it pretty much makes sense for all parties, he would even get half a season to size up the squad before our charge to second place (while being the best team in the league) promotion.

He should’ve never left us. Downhill for him since he did & whilst we had a good few years I feel like he would’ve built something special under tiger

Appleton left in June 2017 when the club was up for sale and it was clear he wouldn't be getting a promotion winning budget that season.
Tiger didn't complete his takeover until Feb 2018 at which point we had Clotet in charge.

I'm not normally one for wanting the club to re-employ ex-managers (or ex-players for that matter).

But I think I could be persuaded to make an exception in this case...

Appleton left in June 2017 when the club was up for sale and it was clear he wouldn't be getting a promotion winning budget that season.
Tiger didn't complete his takeover until Feb 2018 at which point we had Clotet in charge.

True.

Shame how the timeline played out.

I have mixed feelings about him returning but I honestly think he’d get one hell of a reception at the stadium if he did. It does almost feel like unfinished business.

Back
Top Bottom