League One Michael Appleton

Kip is entitled to feel Appleton let us down - you might disagree with opinion
(and to some extent I might too) but his own passionately felt views are completely valid.

No. Unless he knows (and not in the Trumpian sense of knowing the election was stolen) that Appleton went for the cash alone.

Appleton was reported to be pissed off about Eales' bailing out out his commitment to fund the club, so there are 2 valid potential causes for Appleton leaving which are probably intertwined.

Kip has every right to say Appleton left 'for the cash' but it's a partial statement at best, one that blames Appleton for getting more money. Why shouldn't he look out for himself?

No. Unless he knows (and not in the Trumpian sense of knowing the election was stolen) that Appleton went for the cash alone.

Appleton was reported to be pissed off about Eales' bailing out out his commitment to fund the club, so there are 2 valid potential causes for Appleton leaving which are probably intertwined.

Kip has every right to say Appleton left 'for the cash' but it's a partial statement at best, one that blames Appleton for getting more money. Why shouldn't he look out for himself?
The money must have been a big part of it...... but so bloody what!!! Football is a job and business for most involved. They're just lucky to have us supporters as their paying customers!

It's a more reasonable guess that he was looking for an exit because Slippery had abandoned the project by firing Ashton and reducing the budget.
I reckon there were several factors:-
As above, Eales scrapping the project and reducing budget
Being offered an interesting job by a good mate of his, Craig Shakespeare
Opportunity to work in premiership
Much more money
Probably concern about potential new owners and whether they will bring in their own boss.
I guess MApp did not apply for the Leicester job but Shakespeare made him a very good offer at the same time that there were doubts about Eales and the project at Oxford.

The money must have been a big part of it...... but so bloody what!!! Football is a job and business for most involved. They're just lucky to have us supporters as their paying customers!

I said at the time, and I think it's worked out that way, that leaving us for Leicester was a terrible career decision for MApp, even if it brought him more money in the short term.

Not saying I blame him for leaving us, given what was going on at the club at the time.

But giving up the #1 role, to be a #2 somewhere else - even at a Premier League club - at a time in your career where your stock is at the highest it has ever been, is a really dumb thing to do.

Another good season with us, maybe even just the start of another good season, and the Championship clubs would've come calling.
As it was, by the time he inevitably got kicked out of Leicester, his stock had dropped, people had forgotten about him and he had to start again at Lincoln - and he's not done enough since to climb any higher.

But then again.....Blackburn, Blackpool, Pompey at a time when they were all complete financial basket cases......personal career decisions have never been his forte!

Oh dear, he and Charlie must be upset. Humiliated on national TV

Back
Top Bottom