Championship Appleton new Blackpool boss

I was getting grief for backing MApp in the early days when he had almost as many outers as Robbo has now! He's a good manager, and arguably his best season was the playoff finish with Lincoln who had one of the smallest league one budgets at the time (our league two promotion season was with the biggest budget). But he's good, not great and I think that we should be setting our sights much higher for an established manager, or go for a young, up and coming manager with new and innovative coaching ideas.

I was getting grief for backing MApp in the early days when he had almost as many outers as Robbo has now! He's a good manager, and arguably his best season was the playoff finish with Lincoln who had one of the smallest league one budgets at the time (our league two promotion season was with the biggest budget). But he's good, not great and I think that we should be setting our sights much higher for an established manager, or go for a young, up and coming manager with new and innovative coaching ideas.

I agree with this.

If the debate is Appleton or Robinson, I’m Appleton every single time.

I don’t think that is the debate.

The debate is who should replace Karl at the end of the season.

He’d be about 4th / 5th on my list of realistic managers to replace Karl. Certainly not 1st.

I think a lot of folk forget that Mappy came here with Ashton as the CEO and Eales doing what he was told. When Ashton and Eales fell out, things went down. Eales was then under the cosh to unload the football club and pulled all the finance. Mappy walked because he could see there was no future under Eales.
Would I welcome him back? I don't know. He has had a lean period and was ill for some of that time. Is the same hungry, astute and football wise manager? Would I take him over KR? In a flash.
You have spoken for thousands in that sentence @Manorlounger

Are you putting KR under the positive bus?

God no! But one day he'll be gone and I'll need to learn to love again!!

I really can’t see Blackpool or any championship side going for Robinson at the moment, it’s a hard sell to appoint a manager whose team are in the bottom half of league one, I reckon they will go back down the route of a young, Critchley like coach again.

I really can’t see Blackpool or any championship side going for Robinson at the moment, it’s a hard sell to appoint a manager whose team are in the bottom half of league one, I reckon they will go back down the route of a young, Critchley like coach again.
Ah who cares what they do, they’ll get some grizzled northerner in for eighteen months.

Anyone know/believe the board to be genuinely keeping their eyes open for opportunities with other coaches? Or are they doubling down on what we have with tunnel vision for the end of the season? Think I know the answer but just curious what might make them alter their stance and Appleton is surely circulating in their Watsapp group today....

PS.... Might Karl throw his hat in the ring for Blackpool?????
No. League 1 is his limit and he knows it.

I’m guessing our next head coach will be of an altogether different calibre, probable foreign and one who has been successful at least at Championship level or its equivalent. A head coach to achieve the owners aspiration to make us a top 30 club and for whom they will pay big bucks.. But this won’t happen until we have the new stadium and until then they will stick with what we’ve got unless there’s any risk of relegation.

I can already visualise the thread on here in 8 years time discussing the pros and cons of rehiring KR.

Back
Top Bottom