Matches 74 points is the holy grail

I'm still angry that we have landed in this position. So close and yet, so many variables and games out of our control. Looking back at some of those really ridiculous results and the poor start really irritates. If we are going with KR and I suspect it's likely, then the recruitment must be spot on in the summer with back up for those positions that have struggled this season. The team must play as a team from the off not still be catching up from last minute arrivals or positional changes. (Yes, I am in the KR out camp but also a realist)
No more crocks or gambles on players recovering fitness, no more scraping through a medical.

If Lincoln lose their next 3 games in a row (Having just won 4-0) AND we beat Gillingham, we’ll still be 1 point behind them...
Think Lincoln are still the team to catch despite there big win yesterday. Reading their forum they state that MK dons were the worst team they have played this year so I dont think we should read too much into that result.

I'm still angry
No more crocks or gambles on players recovering fitness, no more scraping through a medical.
Mmm.
Is that fact?
Or are you questioning the competence of the clubs medical team?
Most clubs this season have had many injuries- just look at Lincoln (I believe that a number of their signings have had long term injuries)

As a follow up, you presumably would never have taken on Sam Long.
He had a terrible injury record until probably the past couple of seasons. You would probably have described him as a 'crock'.
Managers and clubs take a view. I believe it is rarely as black and white as you make out.
Thank goodness MAPP and KR have stuck with Sam Long ( plus previous managers)

As a follow up, you presumably would never have taken on Sam Long.
He had a terrible injury record until probably the past couple of seasons. You would probably have described him as a 'crock'.
Managers and clubs take a view. I believe it is rarely as black and white as you make out.
Thank goodness MAPP and KR have stuck with Sam Long ( plus previous managers)
Sam came through the youth having joined the club at the age of 8. Hardly comparable.

Mmm.
Is that fact?
Or are you questioning the competence of the clubs medical team?
Most clubs this season have had many injuries- just look at Lincoln (I believe that a number of their signings have had long term injuries)
It is known that some players have had question marks over previous injuries and some would have failed a medical at higher levels. Some of those players have played enough and contributed to show a return but a very risky process (and some have simply not made it) We can, and should be recruiting to improve the team not just make up the numbers. Why we have failed to sign certain targets recently is worrying. What lies behind the failure? Finance to buy? To meet salary? Or agent fees? Or, have players not wished to join OUFC? And, for what reasons?

Sam came through the youth having joined the club at the age of 8. Hardly comparable.
My point is that he had over a few years a lot of injuries.
2 years ago your definition would have had him down as ' a crock'

My point is that he had over a few years a lot of injuries.
2 years ago your definition would have had him down as ' a crock'
You have misunderstood me. I was referring to recruited players, not existing.

It is known that some players have had question marks over previous injuries and some would have failed a medical at higher levels. Some of those players have played enough and contributed to show a return but a very risky process (and some have simply not made it) We can, and should be recruiting to improve the team not just make up the numbers. Why we have failed to sign certain targets recently is worrying. What lies behind the failure? Finance to buy? To meet salary? Or agent fees? Or, have players not wished to join OUFC? And, for what reasons?
I am 100% sure that all signings are made to try and improve the team.
Why is failure to sign certain targets worrying?
The answer to your questions I would guess, is that wecare aiming high and are competing with some big clubs.
So Browne staying at Middlesbrough. Whyte choosing Hull was hardly surprising ( and he will get a promotion out of it)

Lets just accumulate as many points as we can and what will be will be. Ifs and buts i know but if we had just started 25% better than we did we would of been a shoe in for the playoffs. No use crying over spilt milk though. We only have ourselves to blame. Its doable though. Like others have said just worry about ourselves. What others do is out of our hands. Win 5 out of 5 then we make it, win 4 and we probably will still make it. Less than that i think we will fall short. l'm starting to believe. Really tough game on Saturday cant think beyond that at the moment.

Our poor start was largely down to injuries but agree that Gillingham will be the toughest of the upcoming games. They're a nasty bunch but we're on fire at the moment so anything is possible.

Our poor start was largely down to injuries but agree that Gillingham will be the toughest of the upcoming games. They're a nasty bunch but we're on fire at the moment so anything is possible.
But it wasn't just down to injuries was it. It was KR trying square pegs in round holes. Players massively out of form, for what ever reason things just didn't happen for us at the start of the season.
Since October though we have been good, at times very good. Just got to keep it together, 1 final push. At the end of the season we will be where we are supposed to be.

But it wasn't just down to injuries was it. It was KR trying square pegs in round holes. Players massively out of form, for what ever reason things just didn't happen for us at the start of the season.
Since October though we have been good, at times very good. Just got to keep it together, 1 final push. At the end of the season we will be where we are supposed to be.
It was a whole range of reasons surely?
There were injuries (Gorrin, Long, Brannagan, Ruffels).
There was the play off hangover and very little time for the players to recover from the elongated previous season. Henry and Eatwood especially seemed to be shell shocked after Wembley.
Plus it was quite a difficult start. Lincoln , Sunderland Gillingham (a), Peterborough (a), Charlton (a) were the first games that we lost.
We have to do an awful lot better at the start of next season, that's for sure.

I'm still angry that we have landed in this position. So close and yet, so many variables and games out of our control. Looking back at some of those really ridiculous results and the poor start really irritates. If we are going with KR and I suspect it's likely, then the recruitment must be spot on in the summer with back up for those positions that have struggled this season. The team must play as a team from the off not still be catching up from last minute arrivals or positional changes. (Yes, I am in the KR out camp but also a realist)
Genuine question, I see this narrative everywhere, but which players has KR signed that were known and significant injury risks when they arrived? Thorne is the obvious one, but it didn't exactly impact our season at all. Winnall I guess, maybe Holmes in 2018-19. Are there any others? Mackie obviously tailed off towards the end, but I can't remember if he was considered to have legs of glass when he signed or not. I agree that getting players who aren't match fit is an issue, especially in the January window where, by the time they're properly up to speed, the season's all but over (Kelly last year), but I think the 'we sign players who are perennially injured and the medical team aren't doing their job' narrative is misplaced. Players getting injuries isn't really the management's fault.

FWIW I quite like that we're a bit creative with players we look at. I think at this level you do have to think outside the box some of the time. And occasionally that involves taking risks on players who are very good for this level. Look at McEachran at MK, if we'd signed him in January people would no doubt have moaned about how we'd never see him off the treatment table, but from what I hear he's been great for them.

This thread is telling us that 74 points is literally the ‘Holy Grail’. However, within it, there are also people saying that we won’t even need 74 points, a lower number than that will be enough for us to nab that final playoff spot... and yet, elsewhere on the forum, some are ALSO saying actually if we win our final four games and finish on 77 points, that might not be enough!!!

I’ve had enough of this, can someone please tell me how many points we need to be in the playoffs?! There’s only four games left for heavens sake! 😭😂

This thread is telling us that 74 points is literally the ‘Holy Grail’. However, within it, there are also people saying that we won’t even need 74 points, a lower number than that will be enough for us to nab that final playoff spot... and yet, elsewhere on the forum, some are ALSO saying actually if we win our final four games and finish on 77 points, that might not be enough!!!

I’ve had enough of this, can someone please tell me how many points we need to be in the playoffs?! There’s only four games left for heavens sake! 😭😂

I can give you the exact amount.....

It’s whatever puts us above 18 other league one clubs.

Back
Top Bottom