Home Match Day Thread 7/5/23 L1: OUFC v Accrington Stanley

Man of the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We were vg first half and could and should have been out of sight.

What was so disappointing was in front of over 10,000 Oxford fans, shooting towards the home end and wanting the lift of a moral boosting final game win to send everyone home in a positive mind set, 2nd half we were simply abject and almost disinterested. I appreciate players didn’t want to get injured etc… but neither did the opposition who had nothing to play for. At 1-0 up, 2nd half we could have really tried to finish the season in style, instead of the mentality the players sadly showed.

A huge amount of work is needed to rebuild and reshape this squad. We need upgrades over a lot of bang average at best League One players. Hopefully Manning is backed and we can start on the task ahead ASAP.

If we needed to win we wouldn't have been so casual.

Is that so hard to understand?
You'd have a leg to stand on if this was a one-off game, but not taking chances has been the trend of the past few weeks and months, only the last two games bucked that trend. Decision making in the final third hasn't been there in the games we've needed to win bar two, so forgive us for finding it hard to understand that our finishing today wasn't something endemic of the squad's attacking quality and was simply 'casual'.

Last edited:
Meh, Bodin is the only one can shoot. I’d sign Joseph if the price is right but he’s not exactly deadly is he? But it’s very hard to make judgements from a meaningless game

Let's not forget, this is an entertainment as well as results based business. We were not entertained by the performance today and, the result went against us. Fortunately, the result had no effect on our staying up or not but, it would not be incorrect to say that Manning, and the recruitment team have a huge task ahead of themselves in the summer. A lot of this current squad have not done themselves any favours today.
The stats today are an embarrassment. 65% possession. 25 shots with (only) 6 on target. 8 corners. The number of times the players just simply overcomplicated things and either missed the target or hit a defender was more than frustrating. And then, to cap it all, we give away two goals and revert to how the vast majority of this season has played out.

An ideal opportunity to advertise the club for next season wasted. Over ten thousand home fans in attendance and we have to witness that shambles.

At least, I suppose, the club did make some sort of effort and announced, via the score board, that news on season tickets was "coming shortly".
Oh goody, that's that sorted then.

One thing that showed - Fleming should not be left back in a back four. (I think we probably knew that already.) I like him when he plays further forward.
Spot on. Was his inability to tackle that led to the first goal, beaten far to easily and a weak challenge as the scorer gets in a shot.
Also , his lack of height sees him targeted with balls over the top.
It's a NO from me unless he only ever plays as a wing back.

Weird game. Thought we were great in the first half. Joseph’s hold up play was really good and we kept getting in. I thought Accy were absolutely hopeless to be honest. Only due to poor finishing and decision making were we not 3 or 4 up.

We do need a ST who can finish in the summer. Hopefully someone who can contribute in all round play too. We need to be ruthless in the summer. Findlay can’t be trusted to play out from the back, and I still think we need more attacking output from the full backs. I think recruitment depends on what formation we are going to play next season, but a defensive midfielder is needed.

The players let us down today, reverted to type, and proved to us all they are not good enough. On the back of 2 wins, and a big crowd, they could have given something back to the fans to at least give us something to latch onto over the Summer. But no. It's probably not come to any surprise to Manning how it worked out, but this could have been for the fans who have had an awful time of it for over 12 months. Having got 1-0 up the arrogance and lack of end product from Browne, Joseph and others is unbelievable thinking they are actually better than they are trying to walk the ball in the net in the first half. And because of it the defence starting getting nervy and true to form we lose the plot. Not a good show for those wavering whether to renew the season ticket or not. Hopefully new players get announced very early this time, this squad will get nowhere if it is allowed to stay for next season.

Back
Top Bottom