Home Match Day Thread 7/5/23 L1: OUFC v Accrington Stanley

Man of the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Perspective is needed after today's defeat. Firstly, it was a dead rubber game. Secondly, despite winning the previous two games, most sensible fans knew it was a case of Manning polishing a turd to save us. Let's face it; we were very lucky to escape relegation after this season's mismanagement (and a worrying factor in this regard is we still have Tim Williams running the club on a day-to-day basis). The squad assembled by Robinson, even ignoring the fact it was a top-six budget, was shocking. A whole season with four centre-halves playing across the back, no play-making midfielder (aka a Kane), limited width, and limited/no strikers (GO'D might or might not make it - but is not ready yet). As for January, that transfer period might surpass the previous summer's as the worst I've known. Like Anderson, Fleming is ok on the ball but can't defend. And then signing two strikers on loan that were not good enough and letting the one proven goal scorer at the club go out consequently just showed the incompetence throughout the higher echelons of this club.

I hate losing, but as others have said, perhaps it will be a blessing in disguise as we all accept now that it is a big summer clearout and change that is needed, rather than a few tweaks here and there.

Last edited:
I'd say that was a really positive performance with some great shoots of green after a miserable season. Still can't finish. Should have been 4 up by half time.

Manning ripping up the squad and starting again would see us set up some serious form, methinks

Just got back and feeling totally pissed off with that. Ok in the first half but the old failings in front of goal returned. Then, in the second half, I fully expected us to step up a gear and put Accy fully to the sword but no, nothing of the sort. The players basically all cleared off on their hols at half time which I find unforgivable considering it was the last game of a shambolic season and the players had a chance to thank a large crowd for their backing and give something back with a big g finish to the season. LM has done a great job on the whole but his substitutions really didn’t help. They killed all the momentum we had and really only added to the ‘end of season’ feel.

I couldn’t bring myself to stay and applaud after the game. A damp squib end, against a team who were down and out and yet still showed more desire and fight in the second hand. Good riddance to an awful season.

It was also a little surprising that a handful of Accy fans out sang our support for the majority of the game, even cheering ironically when they heard the murmur of a song. I’m not sure if it was relief of staying up last week but it felt totally flat, on and off the pitch, in the second half

Meh, Bodin is the only one can shoot. I’d sign Joseph if the price is right but he’s not exactly deadly is he? But it’s very hard to make judgements from a meaningless game
Agree. He is a good League 1 club player, but if it is true that Swansea wants £750k for him, thanks, but no thanks. I love his work rate, but that's not a good enough reason to splash the cash on him unless it is a lot less than previously quoted. He is not a natural finisher, for sure, as you suggest.

But thanks, Kyle, nevertheless, for the goal at FGR!

Diabolical finishing. Were Joseph and Fleming trying to play themselves out of new contract offers?

I’d be selling Findlay and Browne on that showing, in addition to the existing dead wood.

Sloppy show all round in second half. I’d be having them in for double training session tomorrow apart from the obvious caveat.

I hear though that our top 6 budget is being maintained next season so let’s look forward to some big, robust athletes who can give you 40 games a season l .

Murphy looked different class when he came on though and he has to stay. The conundrum is to get him playing 1 on 2 as opposed to current t 1 in 10.

Amazing crowd considering….

Last edited:
Dear Board,

I may be wrong, but think we still need a striker or two…

Love

OM159

669918B4-AE2F-4A90-9B67-5CA615985494.jpeg

Just got back and feeling totally pissed off with that. Ok in the first half but the old failings in front of goal returned. Then, in the second half, I fully expected us to step up a gear and put Accy fully to the sword but no, nothing of the sort. The players basically all cleared off on their hols at half time which I find unforgivable considering it was the last game of a shambolic season and the players had a chance to thank a large crowd for their backing and give something back with a big g finish to the season. LM has done a great job on the whole but his substitutions really didn’t help. They killed all the momentum we had and really only added to the ‘end of season’ feel.

I couldn’t bring myself to stay and applaud after the game. A damp squib end, against a team who were down and out and yet still showed more desire and fight in the second hand. Good riddance to an awful season.

It was also a little surprising that a handful of Accy fans out sang our support for the majority of the game, even cheering ironically when they heard the murmur of a song. I’m not sure if it was relief of staying up last week but it felt totally flat, on and off the pitch, in the second half
Totally agree, a very poor show for the thousands of fans who turned up.

I hope we bin a significant amount of that squad, because if we don’t we won’t be going anywhere.

Lastly, good to see Plymouth who Karl told me at the FF in December were in false/lucky position win the league, with me disagreeing with him as they looked a good bet when I saw them back in September, that they’re be there or thereabouts at the end of the season. What the f**k did he know!!

Last edited:
Please play CB much further forward. He has spent most of this season in the back 4!!

Just got back. That game sums up our season, lack of finishing the game off. We out classed Stanley in the first half and even part of the second half. We should have killed the game off. The subs changed everything. Bodin, Browne and Brown came off, they were a real thorn in the side for Stanley. We have been lucky not to go down this season. I hope that lessons will be learned over this. LM has got a mammoth task to really rebuild the team. We need players who can kill the game off.

Have to say that Mannings substitutions cost us today
Agree that we should have been 4 up at half time and although we still missed a couple more Accy didn’t look threatening
Those 3 subs cost us because our shape was all wrong Brown goes off don’t know why,Fleming gets skinned straight away and they score after that they grew in confidence and it looked like we didn’t know each other.
Murphy had a couple of good runs but our finishing is woeful
Two decent strikers first on the list this summer

Back
Top Bottom