Home Match Day Thread +++ 29/10/19 League Cup OUFC v Sunderland +++

Status
Not open for further replies.
First half was quite even.

The first 20-25 minutes of the second half we really should have scored one or two more, as we squandered some really good opportunities when in very good attacking positions, and their keeper made a great save.

The last 20 minutes we looked knackered and just backed off and sat deep (it's still a bugbear of mine that we don't leave a player (Fosu?) up when we defend a corner, as it just invites more pressure). Their goal was inevitable.

Pretty much everyone around me was saying we needed to bring on fresh legs well before they equalised. Hall especially, was very tired even by half time, as he was decent going forward, but didn't track back at all well to help Long out.
Baptiste has looked nowhere near the same player as before his injury, and not just last night.

Overall though, nowhere near as good as recently.

Well done to KR, with seconds left he managed to get on Mous, we can all see why now what a penalty you ain't stopping those.

Personally, The one big fish I think are there for the taking are likely to go out tonight unfortunately. Arsenal!
They are away to Liverpool. Manchester United would be good too, but they are away to Chelsea tonight so they may not get through.
Chelsea away would be a dream and they are not unbeatable.
The likes of Villa, Everton and Leicester do not thrill me but Villa or Everton might just give us a chance.
As a trip, Liverpool or Man City away is a beauty - the stuff of dreams, but one to be avoided if we fancy going any further.
No, good old Colchester United at home offers us a way to the Semi-final.
Either way, whoever we draw, we are in fantasy territory now.
What a time to be an Oxford fan!

The atmosphere last night was incredible I was so happy to see every body getting behind the players when we could see they were tired and in the penalty’s it wasn’t surprising Sunderland missed a couple even the so called glory hunters were loud and proud yellows last night for me next round Man City Liverpool or if Arsenal win then arsenal all big grounds I wouldn’t fancy Man Utd with there plastic fans ?

I'd love to see us get Colchester at home in the draw as it is the only match we should realistically win (Obviously never easy but...). I still think we'd get a big crowd because it is the quarter finals. Win that one and then any premier league team home and away would bring in bags of cash from TV and match ticket sales.

(Did Man City give us their gate receipts last season?, would come in handy if we could persuade the Prem' team to do the same this season if we're through..)

Aside from that, having watched on a most excellent live stream .... we weren`t at our best but there were glimpses of really good football. Fosu must have glue on his boots at times some of his close control was a pleasure to watch and when we break it must be terrifying for some teams.
Though Sunderland had a fair chunk of the game but are really looking like a team that has suddenly realised they are in League One for a reason. Our "togtherness" and spirit was far greater than theirs and carried the team through. Top job.

Having slept on it, and it was lovely sleep :), what saves did Eastwood have to make yesterday? We definitely looked a step down from where we have been before, but it's understandable with the changes that were made and the oppo having a new manager motivating the,. Saturday is more important in some respects, so the changes were understandable, and Sunderland have shown us their hand for when we play them later in the year.

As an aside, these cup games do wonders for the teams profile in other areas of the world and help the brand don't they?

Obvs great result last night despite a sub par performance...but my god..

Tarique Fosu. What an unbelievable player.

There was a run he did in the second half where I just ended up making random shouty noises and applauding. Plus he was, not for the first time this season, one of our best defenders.

Throw all the money at him.

He needs a song.

EASTY !

EIHOUWkXYAA25bP

Eastwood didn’t have a save to make. Their keeper pulled off a genuine world class save from Baptiste and although Sunderland missed a couple of sitters we too took one touch too many on a couple of occasions in the box when the goal was gaping.

Eastwood didn’t have a save to make. Their keeper pulled off a genuine world class save from Baptiste and although Sunderland missed a couple of sitters we too took one touch too many on a couple of occasions in the box when the goal was gaping.

Easty dealt with one mishit cross really well which looked like it would have ended up in the top corner. The one where he and think long crashed in to the post.

That was a fun night (in a nail biting sort of way). As a team we misfired badly, but still scrapped our way to getting through the tie.
To make it a bit surreal, I had to get some petrol on the way home. I filled up and went into the shop to pay only to nearly walk straight into Harry Redknapp! He noticed my scarf and struck up a conversation about the game. What a nice fella. He was on a trip home from Sheffield (not football related) and wished us luck in the draw for the next round and for the season ahead. He's a dapper dresser our Harry - and a friendly one as well.
Let's hope some of last night's crowd come back again for not only the next round but some league games as well.

As many others have said, it was a sub-par performance against a well organised Sunderland side. Nonetheless the players held their nerve when it mattered most and we're now in the bloody quarter-final of the League Cup. Having spent some time reflecting on some of the darker times during the Conference years following the FA Cup draw and a pending return visit to Hayes and Yeading, it's amazing to consider how far the club has come in the last decade.

On to Pompey, COYY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom