Away Match Day Thread 27-10-2020 L1 Charlton Athletic v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
All you moaners would've been saying the same this time last season. You never learn.
I think though that we are 'moaning' about the same thing - another dreadful start to the season.

You are right in that it has turned out 'OK' in other seasons, but blindly believing that will just happen as a matter of course (especially given the current circumstances both on and off the pitch) is pretty optimistic!

So because it turned out okay last season we can relax because it will this season?

I'm sure Karl is taking things more seriously.
Judged on his post match comments last night, I wouldn't be so sure that he is taking things quite as seriously as he maybe ought to. Apparently we have strong players to come back, others are not doing what they are taught on the training ground and whilst other teams may convert chances, we create far more and are just unlucky.

Last season after the bad start we had players like Cadden, Baptiste, Fosu, Dickie to add Brannigan (who is out injured now), Henry and a newly signed Taylor. I Know 3 of those left in January but they were still available then to help us bounce back. Hard to argue we are not weaker now, Atkinson and Brannigan coming back will help a lot but you will always have injuries and we are paper thin in certain positions.

It’s ok being able to out football teams but we are poor at the two most important parts of the game, scoring and not conceding. Probably get away with being bad at one but being bad at both all season will see us relegated.

Interestingly one of our two wins came when we were out footballed ourselves against MK Dons, we were still poor at the back but at least pressing them then countering quickly created better chances of which we were able to convert, didn’t watch Accrington so not certain if that was the same.

Worried that we have been worked out and sides are happy to give us the ball to knock about up to their box knowing we won’t do much with it then counter us and hit our shaky defence quickly to take advantage of the easy chances we then give up. It certainly looked like that last night.

Judged on his post match comments last night, I wouldn't be so sure that he is taking things quite as seriously as he maybe ought to. Apparently we have strong players to come back, others are not doing what they are taught on the training ground and whilst other teams may convert chances, we create far more and are just unlucky.
It takes a stronger man to admit youve ballsed up than try to pretend everything will magically get better. Hopefully Karl is saud strong man.

I didn't hear his comments to be honest.

I'd hope he wouldn't publicly throw the team under a bus when confidence is obviously fragile though.

Let's hope his comments don't betray the full truth!

I didn't hear his comments to be honest.

I'd hope he wouldn't publicly throw the team under a bus when confidence is obviously fragile though.

Let's hope his comments don't betray the full truth!
The jist of KRs post match comments below in OM report....

• React
Reactions: m
The problem with these poor starts under KR is that each time they become harder and harder to turn around. Last season following defeat at Fleetwood on 7th September we only lost 1 of our next 15 league games, winning 10. We cannot keep relying on an exceptional run of form to bail us out of the mess we get ourselves into, because at some stage they're going to stop coming. Add to that the chance that Covid could potentially curtail the season again, if we don't start turning things round and sharpish then we will be in a very bleak position PPG wise.

For what it's worth I do believe there are 4 worse teams than us: Burton, MK, Swindon, Northampton, maybe Shrews. But the sooner that is reflected by the league table I will feel a whole lot happier.

Really well put. As I mentioned in another thread, champions of this division on average lose c. six games a season. We've already lost five. No one is promoted automatically at this point but we have essentially blown any chance of going up without needing the playoffs barring a run of record-breaking proportions.

What's equally as worrying is that this keeps happening. Just looking at league form, in 2018-19 we lost eight in 11 games and won only one and last season we lost four of our first seven (bizarrely, despite the defeat last night this is still the best league start to a season under KR!). We've got to get better at starting seasons. Full stop. Why KR doesn't address this and seems patient to blow points away is strange to me ...

Having just read KRs comment in the online version of the OM, he is obviously right not to lambast the players in public. What he says behind closed doors should remain just that.

But the proof of the pudding is in the eating - we've had very very similar defeats this season and nothing changes next time out. Let's hope that he does something before Saturday to try to change our usual fate at Fleetwood. He has *got* to do something about the defence, and at this point doing almost anything different would be worth a go. Three at the back plus two wingbacks? Long on the right and somebody else (???) in central defence, Clare further up the field - surely trying anything is better than just doing the same again and hoping it turns out differently?

KR basically said that Clare wasnt where he should have been for their 1st goal. Hopefully the penny has dropped now that the guy isnt a fooking right back.

KR basically said that Clare wasnt where he should have been for their 1st goal. Hopefully the penny has dropped now that the guy isnt a fooking right back.
So do we put Forde at rb? If Atkinson isn't fit he wouldnt chuck Mous straight in at cb would he?

All you moaners would've been saying the same this time last season. You never learn.

I think this is just the usual frustration which happens after a loss. As we get more games under our belt the bigger picture emerges and that frustration grows (or not), as the case may be.

As much as i am concerned about our lack of ability to a) Score and b) Defend... at this stage of the season I would usually hope that we have the time to turn it around, as last season. The real disappointment is that this already looks like survival, but given the circumstances I will take that.

Biggest problem for me though is that this is not a normal season. I very much doubt we will gain any momentum to build a winning streak like last season because games will be randomly called off and disrupted, fixtures will build up and the players training regime/pre match preparations pretty much go to the wall.

If we fall too far behind I fear it will be twice as difficult this year to claw our way out.... At this stage I remain hopeful though... or blinkered.

We shall see.

There is a great call for Eastwood to be dropped on here. Probably rightly so right now. But a big part in Eastwood's drop in form is the the inept defense in front of him. The goalkeeper and the back four have to operate as a unit. Right now it's collection of individuals so Eastwood has no idea what the four are going to do next. Bringing in Stevens might help a bit, but he will have exactly the same problem as Eastwood so I am not expecting a miraculous improvement.

There is a great call for Eastwood to be dropped on here. Probably rightly so right now. But a big part in Eastwood's drop in form is the the inept defense in front of him. The goalkeeper and the back four have to operate as a unit. Right now it's collection of individuals so Eastwood has no idea what the four are going to do next. Bringing in Stevens might help a bit, but he will have exactly the same problem as Eastwood so I am not expecting a miraculous improvement.
fair point , well put @dabigfella ..... I think Easty, while still a decent shot stopper, has been somewhat lacking of late in applying the basics of goalkeeping, which have been (very) costly. Loss of confidence?, loss of form? both? or something else? .... irrespective of which, if it wasn't KR's number 1 choice of keeper, instead an outfield player, said player would be replaced in the starting line up, so why not drop Easty for a few matches ?. Time for Jack Stevens to get the starting slot

Agree this is a defence issue as a whole but that free kick last night ?.... The wall was in the right place, Eastwood was in the right place..... The ball just seemed to go through his hands didn’t it?..

Should‘ve gone to SpecSavers.

I agree that relegation is unlikely but I wouldn't be as sure as both of you seem to be. Lose on Saturday and next Tuesday and the table will look very bleak.
I hope you’re right about relegation but why won’t we be relegated at the end of the season?

I hope you’re right about relegation but why won’t we be relegated at the end of the season?
I said it’s unlikely not uncertain.

Win our 2 games in hand and we’re 12th, bring on talk of the play-offs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom