Away Match Day Thread 27-10-2020 L1 Charlton Athletic v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is so much to criticise about last nights performance
But why oh why did Gorrin foul for that free kick which led to the second goal, which everyone knows Eastwood should have saved .... the more I watch it the more it annoys me, we need to shop giving away needless free kicks on dangerous positions

For what it's worth I do believe there are 4 worse teams than us: Burton, MK, Swindon, Northampton, maybe Shrews. But the sooner that is reflected by the league table I will feel a whole lot happier.
Rochdale, Wimbledon, Plymouth, Crewe...there are far more clubs whom we're much better than, if we ever get a run of form together, whose XIs ours is better than.

The trouble is as you correctly say, the table isn't reflecting this.

Happily, PPG only becomes an issue if we play 75% of the scheduled games, which in this season, will be never.

At the moment we are just abit s**t to put it bluntly imo
Our GK is turning out to be dodgy as f**k
Our defence right across the back 4 well what can you say to sum them up
Our midfield isn’t that great we’re good at passing and playing nice football but don’t actually do much with it
Our strikers they are there to score goals but don’t seem to get any service from the nice play so what are they there for
Do I think we will get relegated no chance do I think KR will sort this out I’m unsure at the moment every man and his dog could see we needed a strong commanding CB apart from KR

To state the obvious, We have not started this season well. The ridiculous situation of the Crewe and scum cancellations has not enabled us to find any form or rhythm, added together the injury to Brannagan, and we are struggling.
We will improve, of that I am sure.
But at the moment we need to become harder to beat. Winning Games will only come from this.
We are not going down, but unless things turn around pretty quickly, we are not going up either.

A question for the playersPerhaps...

Is this mediocrity all you want?

I don’t understand how Atkinson is being called ‘not ready’ and ‘not the answer’ after a game he didn’t even feature in?!

He’s looked somewhere between ok and great in every game he’s featured for us. Any player can get injured, that’s hardly his fault! Why is this 2-0 loss to Charlton being used as a stick to beat Atkinson?!

Honestly folks, who looked at the table and thought ‘we’ll beat Charlton comfortably’? This was always a tough game. My problem is our performance and in particular the errors that we keep seeing plus players out of position. Not creating enough, defence still looks flimsy, mid-field MIA and Eastwood has lost the plot. With games coming thick and fast it’s difficult to see at what point things will change.

I don’t understand how Atkinson is being called ‘not ready’ and ‘not the answer’ after a game he didn’t even feature in?!

He’s looked somewhere between ok and great in every game he’s featured for us. Any player can get injured, that’s hardly his fault! Why is this 2-0 loss to Charlton being used as a stick to beat Atkinson?!
Is Atkinson fit or is he still injured?

Just watched those highlights and that was Sunday league stuff. Just like Posh, massive gap opened up in defence. Way too easy. Absolutely zero defensive shape admittedly not helped by having no other natural midfielder apart from Gorrin. Then when we’re given a lifeline with the extra man, we’re totally toothless going forward. Great recipe for relegation. Astounds me that we signed Osei Yaw when we already had 3 strikers rather then signing a quality replacement for Dickie. Get Mousinho in there and quick if we can’t sign anyone else.

Yes but if KR wants his winger then there is no available squad place for him. It would also be a kick in the teeth for Stevens.
We need a decent CB before a winger, with squad sizes being reduced I don’t think we have done well this season in recruitment and now we’re scrambling to fill one place left in the squad but what position do we need to fill as a matter of urgency? A winger or a CB

At the moment we are just abit s**t to put it bluntly imo
Our GK is turning out to be dodgy as f**k
Our defence right across the back 4 well what can you say to sum them up
Our midfield isn’t that great we’re good at passing and playing nice football but don’t actually do much with it
Our strikers they are there to score goals but don’t seem to get any service from the nice play so what are they there for
Do I think we will get relegated no chance do I think KR will sort this out I’m unsure at the moment every man and his dog could see we needed a strong commanding CB apart from KR

To state the obvious, We have not started this season well. The ridiculous situation of the Crewe and scum cancellations has not enabled us to find any form or rhythm, added together the injury to Brannagan, and we are struggling.
We will improve, of that I am sure.
But at the moment we need to become harder to beat. Winning Games will only come from this.
We are not going down, but unless things turn around pretty quickly, we are not going up either.

A question for the playersPerhaps...

Is this mediocrity all you want?
I agree that relegation is unlikely but I wouldn't be as sure as both of you seem to be. Lose on Saturday and next Tuesday and the table will look very bleak.

He’s here for four years and will be paid for them. Everyone was pleased when he signed a few weeks back.
I was pleased too. Things change quickly in football so just wondering how long Tiger will accept a relegation battle. Hopefully things change for the better

I've watched the lowlights( wasn't able to watch the game due to finishing work late) we look in total disarray

Definitely relegation material. My only prayer is that we survive as a football club - we deserve to be in L2 at present!!

I think we are in dangerous waters when we try to think of four clubs worse than us in the league and persuade ourselves that we are somehow safe from relegation because we'll get better. We might, we might not - but the same applies to all of the other poor teams people are listing. At the moment, from the evidence of our own eyes, we are a poor team: flappy in goal, dreadfully porous at the back, slow and wasteful in midfield and pretty ineffective up front. That adds up to a team with the look of being involved seriously in a relegation scrap to me. And don't forget, it's always possible that the season will end in a PPG debacle - so we can't wait for the last ten games to win a few, they might never happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom