+++ 25/09/2019 League Cup OUFC V West Ham United +++

What a game. One of those nights you're glad to be able to say you were there.

Can someone explain to me how Baptiste just knocks it past players so easily? Why doesn't everyone do it?! He has this amazing ability to glide past his man in midfield and that opens up the game... AND he was tracking back and making tackles... AND he scored... amazing.

Also feel that Elliott Moore deserves more of a mention than he's been getting, for me he was the better of our CBs, he actually made some good tackles/blocks/interceptions (whatever you want to call it) when Dickie made his early mistakes, was dominant in the air all game, and that goal... VITAL

Some reaction from our friends in east London:

Oxford wanted it more, and Oxford played like proffesional players should play every game, with heart and passion and good luck to them.

We played like professionals because we are a team of professionals! Don’t tell me they think we are a part time club?

Looking at the highlights again: very impressive 'feet' by Moore for the vital first goal...he could have a role as auxiliary striker (great headed goal at Fleetwood as well).

Oh my. Where do you start?
What a night.
We were f*****g sensational.
I really thought that Saturday was the best of us, of course, I didn’t realise that that performance had upset our reserves who went out there last night and ripped into them.
We absolutely hammered/thrashed/whipped West Ham last night and if it hadn’t been for their keeper it would have been even worse than 4-0.
Such magnificent performances all over the pitch that it is not worth singling out anyone... but I will.
Mark Sykes has been frozen out of the squad forever. He hasn’t even made the bench for a fair few weeks now.
To come back (off the bench) and play like that in a game like that was truly incredible. As soon as he was switched with Robbie Hall, he came alive.
Sam Long, another that has lacked game time was a lion last night and showed us all how bloody good he is.

What a game... what a selection headache for KR!!! ??

What a game. One of those nights you're glad to be able to say you were there.

Can someone explain to me how Baptiste just knocks it past players so easily? Why doesn't everyone do it?! He has this amazing ability to glide past his man in midfield and that opens up the game... AND he was tracking back and making tackles... AND he scored... amazing.

Also feel that Elliott Moore deserves more of a mention than he's been getting, for me he was the better of our CBs, he actually made some good tackles/blocks/interceptions (whatever you want to call it) when Dickie made his early mistakes, was dominant in the air all game, and that goal... VITAL
Can someone explain how Baptiste didn't make it at Reading? This lad has class written all over him and if he stays injury free could easily surpass the likes of Roofe and Lundstram etc in how far he could go.

I hope the Karen Brady song gets rolled out tonight. Do we stick with the 90s ‘Barry Fry’ classic, or update with ‘Pellegrini’??

Long was very solid, as others have said he had very little protection in that first half.

It is hard to say anything new about Baptiste but that was one of the best all round midfield performances I have seen. Glided past players for fun, tracked back and made a great recovery tackle in the 2nd half, and lovely quick feet and a composed finish for the goal. An absolute pleasure to watch.

Sam Long is the Bicester Cafu.

I watch on I follow but that was my first game since the Man City game last year. Absolutely awesome. A few thoughts...

1. That save by Eastwood hasn’t been mentioned that much but it is an absolute worldie ...he could have been caught cold. we are very lucky to have such a dependable goalie at this level. Contrast him to the strange performance from the keeper at the other end

2. It seemed to take Robinson a while to spot that Long was essentially marking two wingers as west ham exploited Halls lack of pace but once he switched the wingers over we weren’t threatened again down there. Long had an incredible ability to not just shadow his opponent when they had back to goal, but muscle his way through and disposses. It shouldn’t be underestimated as it catches the whole opposing team off guard and sets up quick counter attacks down the right flank

3. Mackie. It’s truly a privilege to watch such shithousery....he’s strong, smart and naughty. He trots around like an old shire horse but doesn’t let the pace impact him.

4. Hall. Ive read that was his best game in a while. Sad if true. An absolute shadow without his acceleration. He looks like he knows he can no longer beat his man. He turns back by default even when one on one in space . At one point he had the full back to beat and passed it back to his own center back. He’s not scared of getting injured he’s scared of his own ability

5. Dickie was fabulous except for his distribution. Even he’s going to be a championship player then he needs to massively work on that. I think that’s the very obvious reason that this team would struggle under pressure when teams press us.Having said that if you played Baptiste in front of the two center backs then we may be able to overcome that with his ability to take a short pass from the center backs, back to goal, and set up a counter attack from a sharp turn

6. Baptiste. It’s all been said. Premier league player by the end of the season if he stays fit.

7. The atmosphere was strangely flat for the first half given it was a Tuesday night cup game against a bigger club. We miss the Ultras. It really picked up second half and was great to see lots of young lads in the north stand getting into the club. Fair play to west ham....walked past them pre match. Old school proper fan base.

8. Smart touch from the two west ham players who went to clap them at the end but ifbuoi were a manager How obvious is it that you send the whole team over

9. Driving down the M40 it was a pleasure to give David Gold in his very ugly rolls Royce a four fingered wave (not in a Swindon inbred way)

10. Well done Karl and the gang!

What an evening that was :)
Best all over the pitch for the vast majority of the game and if it hadn't been for their keeper making two or three excellent saves it could have been six again.
I don't think there was a player in yellow who had anything less than an excellent game, but special mentions from me for Sam Long (did an excellent job after being out of the side for a while), Elliot Moore (best performance yet - looks like an super signing) and of course Shandon Baptiste (who at times looked like he was a cut above any other player on the pitch). But really you could say something hugely positive about any Oxford player!
Well done to the players and manager - they got it just right. More please!

Laugh out loud..Hammers fan losing his s_ _ _ on Talkwotsit ..worse he's seen in 45 years and left at 3_0!! Yeah it's embarrassing but no-one seems to remember us as previous cup winners. It's quite a good draw given Prem teams knocking each other out.
It Mr Angry absolutely fantastic, I was crying after listening. And for the presenter to berate him for leaving after the third. Classic.

What an evening that was :)
Best all over the pitch for the vast majority of the game and if it hadn't been for their keeper making two or three excellent saves it could have been six again.
I don't think there was a player in yellow who had anything less than an excellent game, but special mentions from me for Sam Long (did an excellent job after being out of the side for a while), Elliot Moore (best performance yet - looks like an super signing) and of course Shandon Baptiste (who at times looked like he was a cut above any other player on the pitch). But really you could say something hugely positive about any Oxford player!
Well done to the players and manager - they got it just right. More please!
don’t think we need to worry too much when Cadden goes. Long proved himself good enough last season and does what’s needed when called on

It was a great game to be part of. The players all gave everything and any number of them could have been MOTM. We did the simple things well and never stopped working, only one team wanted it and that was us. If it was a league match, the likes of Cadden, Mousinho, Gorrin, Henry and Woodburn might have played. We now have a squad where anyone can come in a do a solid job, that's a really good place to be.

I thought the ref was pretty bad (@Sarge - hint hint). How he didn't give a free kick for the high foot is beyond me!

I thought the ref was pretty bad (@Sarge - hint hint). How he didn't give a free kick for the high foot is beyond me!

Thought he was very good and calm actually. I disagreed with his high foot decision but overall the game was well controlled and we didn’t find ourselves talking about him much. Interestingly my friend thought that wasn’t a foul and he has very yellow tinted specs.

Back
Top Bottom