Away Match Build Up 20/11/2021 L1: Wigan Athletic v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone recommend a decent watering hole for pre match drink please?
Depends what sort of pub appeals .....if (local) real ales are your thing , id reccomend The Albion ale house in Standish....no tv, no jukebox, no pub grub, just local ales , farmhouse cider ...ale house for grown ups....its about a ten min drive from Robin Park/DW Stadium... theres plenty of identikit sports bars & chain pubs slightly closer to the ground. The nearest away fan friendly pub is the unfortunately named Red Robin ....which imo no self respecting oxford fan would want to go anywhere near

If we are serious about promotion, then unless we want to repeat last season (when we just couldn't beat the top teams) we need to get *some* sort of result at Wigan. A draw at Ipswich was OK but not brilliant (aren't they actually below us in the table? Surely a win wouldn't have been impossible?), the manner of the loss to Brizzle was startling. We could do with a win really to get us going again.
Take a point.

What we really, really don't need is to ship 4 goals again - I'll take a boring 0-0

Take a point.
I'd take a point over nothing, but we need to start the game trying to win it. We aren't very good at defending (see lack of clean sheets this season for evidence) - if we are four up with ten minutes to go I think we might do it! :confused:

I'd take a point over nothing, but we need to start the game trying to win it. We aren't very good at defending (see lack of clean sheets this season for evidence) - if we are four up with ten minutes to go I think we might do it! :confused:
To be fair in the last league game we had a clean sheet against a team that had scored in every game.

Can anyone recommend a decent watering hole for pre match drink please?
I highly recommend Wigan Central - out of Wigan NW station - turn left & 1st left under the railway bridge (2 mins walk) . Away supporters welcome. Friendly, good selection beer & decently priced too.

What we really, really don't need is to ship 4 goals again - I'll take a boring 0-0
True, but I’d also take 4-4 (Although in doing so I’d be much, much happier if we came from 4-0 down rather than the other way around!)

2-3 tomorrow a very entertaining game with both teams going for it our boys need to show they’ve got the balls after last Tuesday so I’m expecting a performance to be proud of

Brief look on the Wigan forum and it appears we already have a reputation of timewasters. Christ....one game! :LOL::LOL:

Be a tough game, but expect the same as Ipswich....play our normal game and see what comes of it...if it's tight towards the end, then Easty should get some more cramp to see out a draw!

We're fifth best in goals scored and fifth best in goals conceded, suggesting both attack and defence are pretty much in line with our league position.

But I agree, a decent number of clean sheets is a mark of a solid defence, and I worry a bit about Gorrin's absence and defensive midfield cover. I hesitate to say Forde might be the answer, he'd do a decent job but I kind of feel he gets a rough deal if he's asked to fill in all over the pitch whenever we have an issue.

I think it's become pretty obvious that the team needs a proper defensive midfielder. That's either Gorrin (but not now obviously) or Kane. It isn't Brannagan - his skills lie elsewhere - but I suppose Forde might be OK. Like you, I worry that he is the default sticking plaster! I do remember Mousinho being played in that position - but am not sure if that is still a realistic option...

Forde is DCM could actually be a master stroke for me he is our James Milner plays wherever we need him to and always give 110%

For some reason, I fancy us to win this one.
Especially after tuesdays capitulation.
I hope to see a healthy dose of ‘we’re gonna kick your ass’ as an antidote to what they served up last time out.

Brief look on the Wigan forum and it appears we already have a reputation of timewasters. Christ....one game! :LOL::LOL:

Be a tough game, but expect the same as Ipswich....play our normal game and see what comes of it...if it's tight towards the end, then Easty should get some more cramp to see out a draw!
I noticed that - only it was qualified by the fact that the forum only seemed to have 20 active members! It's funny how these things are perpetuated - we are by no means past masters of the dark arts but as you say, one game and the idiots are off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom