Away Match Day Thread 16/11/2021 FA Cup 1st R. Replay: Bristol Rovers v OUFC

Ignoring the poor performance I don’t agree with the “we were never going to win it, oh well” mentality.

We’ve been lucky enough to enjoy some fantastic cup games over the years (both home and away and on TV). This evenings loss is a missed opportunity with a chance to go to the third round and pick one of those decent clubs out of the hat.

Fair enough if people don’t really care about those games and the excitement of seeing who you are going to play, the messages from other family/friends watching your team on the TV but I do.

Is what it is and we threw it away over the two games but to suggest that “we weren’t going to win it” so it doesn’t really matter isn’t right.

Fingers crossed we do more than “just” making the play offs this season otherwise we’ll have very little to write home about.
Yes, of coarse we love the cup games, however being unlucky in the league and missing out on promotion does not make up for the mediocre higher league teams we have played in FA cup games over the last 10 years.
The manager, the players and the supporters have now got the best possible opportunity to fully focus on Saturday league games and prepare on the training pitch without any interruptions, No Papa Johns, No EFL cup and no FA cup, this season has the makings of one of the fewest games we play in a season and that can only be good especially as so many our first team can not cope with playing two games a week....
We will look back at this as a positive when we reach the 80 point mark come May............

We’re all getting leaky nipples over a bloody second round FA Cup game, in which we played a second strong side, simply because we want to beat Wigan at the weekend; in a game that actually matters! Losing is never good, but of the two, I know which one i’d rather lose..

A win against Wigan will be perfect, but losing today doesn’t guarantee a win over them does it?

Having got to a 3-1 lead with 10 minutes to go, beating Wigan really has nothing to do with it. The game should have been seen out.

Yes, of coarse we love the cup games, however being unlucky in the league and missing out on promotion does not make up for the mediocre higher league teams we have played in FA cup games over the last 10 years.
The manager, the players and the supporters have now got the best possible opportunity to fully focus on Saturday league games and prepare on the training pitch without any interruptions, No Papa Johns, No EFL cup and no FA cup, this season has the makings of one of the fewest games we play in a season and that can only be good especially as so many our first team can not cope with playing two games a week....
We will look back at this positive when we reach the 80 point mark come May............
loving your optimism , and really, really hope youre right @Lincolyellow1

No Baz, we didn’t play particularly well tonight. Were we the better team over 90 minutes? I’d say we shaded it.
First half of ET? I’d say we battered them.
2nd half of ET? we capitulated.

FWIW i felt we let ourselves down more in the first game by not seeing it out. We should have avoided the replay.

This is cup football and upsets happen. Will you give a cows cnut if we win promotion? I highly doubt it.

Will you be offering up anything constructive to this forum? I highly doubt that, too.
No I won’t why because it won’t happen simple

Just 30 games left till the end of the season now, so won’t be stretching the squad to thin with loads of midweek games.

Desperately trying to find a positive out of a s**t night there.

A win against Wigan will be perfect, but losing today doesn’t guarantee a win over them does it?

Having got to a 3-1 lead with 10 minutes to go, beating Wigan really has nothing to do with it. The game should have been seen out.
We did the same to Gillingham last season. It happens. Move on.

I'm sorry to be negative but I really don't think our squad is good enough to take us up right now. Yes our first team (if they are on it) can match anyone and we've shown that with some decent results this season so far, but the lack of cover, particularly in fullback and central defence, and lack of defensive midfield and striking cover will ultimately prevent us from progressing, and KR HAS to do something about these areas in Jan or I feel we are destined to miss out on the play offs and stay exactly where we are. The stadium issue is our biggest concern now, the revenue we could be spending elsewhere is really hampering us.

Meh already over it.. Feel sorry for those who went though

Do this on Saturday though and I will be feeling slightly differently!

Back
Top Bottom