Away Match Build Up 16/11/2021 FA Cup 1st R. Replay: Bristol Rovers v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winning (or not losing) is a good habit to have.

Much depends on the team KR selects and if he decides to rest some players.

I would like to see Dan start up top and a couple of others "rested" on the bench, we should have enough to beat them.

Eastwood
Long Moore McNally Forde
Henry Hanson McGuane
Sykes Agyei Williams

Bodin & Cooper as your subs.

Got to respect them as they’re a decent L2 side so can’t make wholesale changes.

Rest Seddon, Thorniley, Kane, Brannagan, Taylor & Holland ahead of Wigan.

This probably won’t be a popular opinion, but I’d start Hanson. With Gorrin out for what looks to be a good few months, the chances are we’re going to need bodies for rotation in that midfield at points - Brannagan and Kane can’t play every game. This seems to me to be a good opportunity to get some minutes in his legs in a match where crucial league points aren’t on the line. I’d perhaps bring him in for Brannagan and keep Kane sitting at the base of the midfield, so that he has less defensive responsibility. I would also agree with starting Agyei, though that would be more to protect Taylor than anything.

Elsewhere, I’d rest Holland (perhaps for Williams) and Long (Forde), who I think is still getting back up to full speed.

If we otherwise keep the side the same as yday, even with the changes I would have thought that would still be a strong enough side to win. I’m pretty equivocal on the game, though - I think there are fair arguments for giving it a go (seeing as a route to R3 and a potential plush fixture is now there, and it’s good to develop that ‘winning mentality’) and for not taking it too seriously and protecting players (given it looks like we could give the league a real go this year, and with the tough run of league fixtures we have coming up), so I’m fairly ambivalent about the team we put out. Will be my first trip to the Mem though, so looking forward to it.

This probably won’t be a popular opinion, but I’d start Hanson. With Gorrin out for what looks to be a good few months, the chances are we’re going to need bodies for rotation in that midfield at points - Brannagan and Kane can’t play every game. This seems to me to be a good opportunity to get some minutes in his legs in a match where crucial league points aren’t on the line. I’d perhaps bring him in for Brannagan and keep Kane sitting at the base of the midfield, so that he has less defensive responsibility. I would also agree with starting Agyei, though that would be more to protect Taylor than anything.

Elsewhere, I’d rest Holland (perhaps for Williams) and Long (Forde), who I think is still getting back up to full speed.

If we otherwise keep the side the same as yday, even with the changes I would have thought that would still be a strong enough side to win. I’m pretty equivocal on the game, though - I think there are fair arguments for giving it a go (seeing as a route to R3 and a potential plush fixture is now there, and it’s good to develop that ‘winning mentality’) and for not taking it too seriously and protecting players (given it looks like we could give the league a real go this year, and with the tough run of league fixtures we have coming up), so I’m fairly ambivalent about the team we put out. Will be my first trip to the Mem though, so looking forward to it.
I’m afraid starting Hanson would not be on my wish list. I agree we need fringe players to get minutes but wouldn’t risk bringing him on until we are two up!

I’m looking forward to the match but I’ve been to the Memorial ground a few times and failed to find a good vantage point yet! I’m going in the rickety stand behind the goal on Tuesday.

Having trouble booking my tickets for Tuesday. Getting a weird error message on the ticket site. Anyone else experienced similar? COYY

Attachments

• 9B2E95B7-5D4C-40EA-AAE4-97F9464FBD77.jpeg
    9B2E95B7-5D4C-40EA-AAE4-97F9464FBD77.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 12
We'll win the replay fairly comfortably I reckon

Having trouble booking my tickets for Tuesday. Getting a weird error message on the ticket site. Anyone else experienced similar? COYY
Tried booking Wigan tickets, and according to the eticketing site, no more available. So 600 sold, unless club apply for more. They cant mess this up surely, we could potentially take 1400 up there.

Encountered similar issues.
Will phone today( Monday)
I see Doncaster are on sale also

Tried booking Wigan tickets, and according to the eticketing site, no more available. So 600 sold, unless club apply for more. They cant mess this up surely, we could potentially take 1400 up there.
The away end holds 4800.

I don’t think there’s any danger of anyone missing out, here.

KR said post Ipswich there'd be 7-8 changes, and specifically mentioned Seddon/Thornily/Taylor as being rested and Williams/Bodin coming in (maybe some others, that's what I can remember). So for me the team is:

Easty
Forde Moore McNally Williams
CamBran
Henry McGuane
Bodin Agyei Cooper

No idea if Williams can/will play left back, but he did well in right back that one game and I daren't put Hanson in there and Elechi is out on loan so may have to take the risk. Cooper deserves a start after his pizza trophy brace. One of Henry/CamBran could be swapped for Kane, more likely Henry as we all know how much Cam loves, and is capable of, playing every minute.

For me that 11 should/would be challenging towards the top of L2, so more than capable of getting through to round two, but most important thing for me is getting through the game, win or lose, with no injury concerns.

Given how much this forum hates it when kr plays people out of position, I love that some seem happy to play right winger Williams as a left back.
Not sure, but I seem to remember that one of thornily or McNally have played there at previous clubs, so that would make more sense, with Williams played on the wing, even if it means giving mous an outing.

Given how much this forum hates it when kr plays people out of position, I love that some seem happy to play right winger Williams as a left back.
Not sure, but I seem to remember that one of thornily or McNally have played there at previous clubs, so that would make more sense, with Williams played on the wing, even if it means giving mous an outing.
Thornily is the one who can play out there (unsure about McNally), and KR specifically mentioned him as one that needed to be rested otherwise I'd have had him there for sure. If Elechi wasn't out on loan I'd have put him in and Williams on the RW with Bodin in the CM for Henry. Maybe I'm being a tad harsh but I just can't justify playing Hanson in LB.

Williams right ?
Forde left back ?

I’d like to see us have a good go at this. With a tie at home to Sutton United in the next round, there is a great opportunity to get in to the 3rd Round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom