Home Match Day Thread 16/07/22 PSF: OUFC v Coventry

Quick ask...did you go to the match today?

Because if you did, I'm pretty sure that the 90 minutes you witnessed even with the very best of tinted glasses wasn't the best ever fayre served even though it was what it was a pre-season sort of nothing game.

Personally, I thought we looked well below par today and lacking and have to admit we need a lot of work done and quickly if we are to challenge. I hope whatever/whoever is coming through the yellows changing room doors is worth the wait because for the first season in several I thought we looked mediocre in several departments. On the plus side though Marcus Browne if he stayes fit looks odd on to become a championship player again with Cameron no doubt joining him there too albeit hopefully with Oxford.

On today's opponents they were nothing more than an average joeseph of a team. They in my humble opinion will struggle this coming season.

I hope today's showing was just a cobweb of a performance and I can see why that the few who attended today's match went away with a few concerns especially with the season just a couple of weeks away and a tough gig at Pride Park to start with. And on that note we will probably win this one by 3 goals to one.

COYY'S.
Yep, and I had to endure 90 minutes of whining in the SSU from someone who sounds very similar to some people on here. I don’t disagree that we were average today, I just don’t choose to tell anyone within three rows every time a pass goes astray…

For me, Seddon looks far better as a wing back in a back five. That allows him far more scope to get forward without leaving a big gap at the back. I don’t suppose we’ll know our likely formation until the new arrivals have joined.

Are we allowed to "shove it down your throat" when Derby win then?
You'll be bleating on about how it's only one game and we need to gel in response

What’s all this “when” ??

I am as frustrated as the next person with a lack of activity, but all the negativity and writing the team off after a nothing game is beyond me.

You may just find yourself feeling bloated eating lots of humble pie after Derby 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:
For all th

For all the good work that Golding did during the game it was partly undone by letting the goal scorer ghost past him to head the second. He’ll learn from it I’m sure.
Bodin was marking the scorer for both goals, in this goal Golding was zonal marking so although he missed the header it wasnt actually his man that scored.

Few positives from that:

-McGuane looked a different animal in that holding role no one could get the ball of him & he used it very well
-Sinclair was better than I expected (although expectations were low) Put himself about, tried hard & should have scored
-CamBran industrious as ever & Ciaran Brown is a bit of a nutter uses all parts of his body to defend
-Goodrham looks a very very good talent
-James Golding while he may not be ready to start every game feel more than confident to rely on him if needed.

Negatives:

-Moore injury
-Defending set pieces + Forde is no starting right back
-Bodin & Henry anonymous and gave the ball away when they did have it
-Appreciate it was hot but movement was stagnant at times
-Goalkeeper distribution horrific as always

I also don't see why Karl rates Josh Johnson so highly, everytime i've seen him play he doesn't look to be a footballer, needs more composure hopefully that comes with experience
Thanks for this detail, very interesting for those of us who couldn't be there.

Couple of other queries for anyone who was there.....
How did spasov do - how did he get on in comparison to Sinclair?
Did Goodrham show enough to be an option to shake things up from the bench?
Who played in the DM role, particularly in the first half?
Does Davis look like he is, or could be, comfortable at this level?

Goodhram did ok, Spasov didn’t do enough Davis still needs time but is certainly looking like he will be decent not sure who was DM might have been McGuane if so he did all right.

Looks like all our main defenders were zonal marking along the 6 yard box and their guy just attacked the space... never been a huge fan of having all your players who are strong in the air just marking space. It seems to be the way everyone does it nowadays and what do I know anyway never going any higher than Sunday league..?! [emoji16]
There was one of our players (no.7 ?) marking the goal scorer, but he just didn't go with him when he moved.

Bodin was marking the scorer for both goals, in this goal Golding was zonal marking so although he missed the header it wasnt actually his man that scored.
I think he may have been ball watching.
I’m not looking to knock the lad here, I thought he looked composed on the ball and strong in the tackle , but my instant impression was that he should have reacted to the free man, whoever should have been marking him in the first place.

Spasov was lively and has bulked up but needs a loan if he's going to stand a chance, Sinclair the better option.
Goodrham definitely should be involved, a 6 month loan till January and then evaluate where we are is our best option no need to rush his development as there looks to be a real player in him.
McGuane played DM first half and I can't praise him enough, maybe he was wasted playing further forward? Smyth came on in DM role second half and didn't look brilliant if im honest gave the ball away a few times & Davis wasn't on long enough to judge but looks way too lightweight for mens football, will keep him around for PR I imagine maybe send him over to Bangkok Glass's team they own?

Spasov was lively and has bulked up but needs a loan if he's going to stand a chance, Sinclair the better option.
Goodrham definitely should be involved, a 6 month loan till January and then evaluate where we are is our best option no need to rush his development as there looks to be a real player in him.
McGuane played DM first half and I can't praise him enough, maybe he was wasted playing further forward? Smyth came on in DM role second half and didn't look brilliant if im honest gave the ball away a few times & Davis wasn't on long enough to judge but looks way too lightweight for mens football, will keep him around for PR I imagine maybe send him over to Bangkok Glass's team they own?
Goodrham reminds me a bit of Joey from that performance.

Yep, and I had to endure 90 minutes of whining in the SSU from someone who sounds very similar to some people on here. I don’t disagree that we were average today, I just don’t choose to tell anyone within three rows every time a pass goes astray…

Must have been @Manorlounger ........... very verbal in the posh seats. :ROFLMAO:

Must have been @Manorlounger ........... very verbal in the posh seats. :ROFLMAO:
It's not the whining that really get to me it's being constantly sprayed with biscuit crumbs. 😠
No more biscuits in the SSU, club decided first on pies, pre-match and then dropped the idea altogether.
And, I'll have you know, my comments yesterday were all of the constructive nature. (with the odd, "oh FFS! when Coventry scored)
I have a notion that @Pompeyyellows was sat next to us (small boy and small girl - both very well behaved) always try and keep the volume down if there are any delicate minds nearby. Mrs Lounger keeps me in check as well.

No more biscuits in the SSU, club decided first on pies, pre-match and then dropped the idea altogether.
And, I'll have you know, my comments yesterday were all of the constructive nature. (with the odd, "oh FFS! when Coventry scored)
I have a notion that @Pompeyyellows was sat next to us (small boy and small girl - both very well behaved) always try and keep the volume down if there are any delicate minds nearby. Mrs Lounger keeps me in check as well.
I suspect that the miscreant was also an East Stand imposter, like me, just seeing how the other half live for a change..😉

I suspect that the miscreant was also an East Stand imposter, like me, just seeing how the other half live for a change..😉
All are welcome, in fact, I would go further and say it ought to be obligatory to visit the other seats and gain a perspective of how everyone else sees the game.

All are welcome, in fact, I would go further and say it ought to be obligatory to visit the other seats and gain a perspective of how everyone else sees the game.
There’s no doubting the view was good but as for sitting down all game……

Back
Top Bottom