+++ 23/07/19 PSF OUFC V Fulham +++

That's it. A decent game and performance from what the little I've heard

well that sounded alright.
was Hanson injury OK in the end?

How did Cadden look?
Cadden was decent, don’t think anyone had a poor game tbh. Fosu needs to do a bit more but made one really brilliant run with the ball sticking to his feet.
lofthouse again looked good, Bercoe very quick in a more attacking role and Napa is lightning too.
Didn’t expect Long & Jones to play together for the last 10 but both did well.

How did Cadden look?
I thought he did ok for first game and Fulham were a side very comfortable with the ball. He made some good forward runs and it looked towards the end of the half he played that Brannigan had picked up in his play and was getting the ball across to him. He only played the first half.

I thought he did ok for first game and Fulham were a side very comfortable with the ball. He made some good forward runs and it looked towards the end of the half he played that Brannigan had picked up in his play and was getting the ball across to him. He only played the first half.
Played in the second until McMahon came on? 60 mins or so

I think the midfield looked better and more settled when Hanson went off and Brannagan played a little deeper. I don't think he (the Mancunian) is a no.10, but thankfully that's probably one position we're not short in. Prior to that change I thought the midfield was a bit too erratic and as a result we struggled to keep the ball.

Dickie looked very good bar one stray pass. Cadden looked to have a good engine and defended pretty well when needed. Ruffels did a pretty good job against probably the best winger in the Championship. Mous also had a good game.

Gorrin looked a little off the pace to me. Fosu didn't have much joy, neither did Napa, although the former did put put in an almighty shift.

We obviously missed Whyte massively. I really hope he's not leaving, but if he does we will need to replace his pace.

Also, man alive we need a striker.

Are we allowed to say that Mous had a decent game, on the back of doing little wrong against QPR? I thought he read the game well and was talking to his defence all the way through to keep the shape. I think it helps having someone like Gorrin sitting in front of him. We also have leaders throughout the team, with Mous at the back, Brannagan in the middle and Mackie upfront all talking to others. Also thought Long looked alright when he came on to add a little more controversy.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still hope for another centre back to come in, but really wouldn't be overly worried with Mous or Long as backups.

Are we allowed to say that Mous had a decent game, on the back of doing little wrong against QPR? I thought he read the game well and was talking to his defence all the way through to keep the shape. I think it helps having someone like Gorrin sitting in front of him. We also have leaders throughout the team, with Mous at the back, Brannagan in the middle and Mackie upfront all talking to others. Also thought Long looked alright when he came on to add a little more controversy.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still hope for another centre back to come in, but really wouldn't be overly worried with Mous or Long as backups.
My problem with Mous at the back is his obsession with passing it around on the edge of the area and changing his mind when about to pass. If he can cut that out he could be OK

As I’ve said before: some just have it in for him. If that had been a trialist playing like that last night people would be singing his praises. OK he probably lacks some of the qualities we need next to Dickie and we might be able to find better, but he’s not nearly as bad as some make out. Early contender the unjustified scapegoat slot?

KR did say Mous took the challenge of thinking he was a player/coach from the management and has come back in good condition in the pre-season.

I was talking to him and Sykes before the game. Can only go on his word but he hasn't spoken to anyone and isn't expecting that to change any time soon. I would stick a few quid on him starting against Sunderland.
He hasnt spoken to anyone is probably the truth however has his agent spoken to anyone ? i suspect he has

As I’ve said before: some just have it in for him. If that had been a trialist playing like that last night people would be singing his praises. OK he probably lacks some of the qualities we need next to Dickie and we might be able to find better, but he’s not nearly as bad as some make out. Early contender the unjustified scapegoat slot?
I don't think that's quite fair. Mous isn't a triallist, he is a player we saw play in that position in meaningful matches (rather than in PSFs) last season. And I think everyone will agree (including the manager, who moved him into a position that suited him - and the team - much better) he had a bad time as a CB. Let's not forget, the manager has already said he saw him as a 'fringe player' (OM) this season. Let's not fool ourselves - Mous is only playing CB because we haven't signed anyone else.

I don't think that's quite fair. Mous isn't a triallist, he is a player we saw play in that position in meaningful matches (rather than in PSFs) last season. And I think everyone will agree (including the manager, who moved him into a position that suited him - and the team - much better) he had a bad time as a CB. Let's not forget, the manager has already said he saw him as a 'fringe player' (OM) this season. Let's not fool ourselves - Mous is only playing CB because we haven't signed anyone else.
Maybe part of the reason he didn't always look comfortable at CB was the lack of a decent holding midfield player in front of him?

And the reason the defence was better later in the season because Mous, and later Kashi, did a good protecting role.

Maybe part of the reason he didn't always look comfortable at CB was the lack of a decent holding midfield player in front of him?

And the reason the defence was better later in the season because Mous, and later Kashi, did a good protecting role.
Maybe, but I think his lack of speed hampers him now at CB - it certainly seemed that way. And he did go though a horrible period where he made bad errors at vital times - I know that's form rather than ability, but it can't be good for confidence when that type of thing happens. Of course, it would be brilliant if a revitalised Mous could become the 'new' left CB - but I'm less than confident about that, unfortunately.

Who is Robinson talking about at the start of his yellow player interview?? It sounds like it starts with an A? Says w was rubbish first half but improved second. I really can’t hear who it is and it’s annoying me!

Back
Top Bottom