European Championships Womens Euro's Thread

I’m not having a go at you specifically but I really hope this stops happening - comparing the women’s game to the men’s. I keep seeing ‘Oh the men could learn a thing or two from this’ or ‘The women did what the men haven’t done for years!’ but I think that is reductive and pointless - it’s a different game, and why are we bringing the men into it and bringing them down rather than just celebrating what the women have done?

Also, are we going to do that the other way around? If the men win the World Cup will we immediately be saying ‘The men have taught the women or two a thing about winning the big one!’ I doubt it. You could argue that it’s a lot harder for England men to win international honours than England women, but again I don’t want to go down that road. Same as when people say White has broken Wayne Rooney’s international scoring record - why? Just say she’s the women’s all time top scorer for England. Are we going to start pointing out when the men break records that the women have? Again, I doubt it.

It’s just a weird kind of rebound thing to the idiots who try and do down the women’s game that people try and say it’s actually better than the men’s. It’s just different, no-one in one can ever play in the other, so don’t bother.
I have not made any comparison so, you cannot possibly be "having a go" at me specifically. I merely wanted to highlight that women don't have testicles but can still play football.

England have just won the Euros. - Does that sound alright? Or, should I have qualified that with the insertion of ladies or Lionesses?

The problem occurs when others do make the comparison. There is no need.

Equally, there is no need for some to attempt to devalue the accomplishment by virtue of the gender of the players. If someone were to say that the achievement was not of an equitable standard because the players were all of an LGBTQ+ background or ethnic minority or disabled would that be acceptable? Of course not. I simply cannot understand anyone posting comments of a derogatory nature simply because they consider the skill level beneath their personal consideration.
If they don't like it, fine, don't bother watching.

This forum is amazing how on any subject on any thread it can turn positive news into an argument. Even testicles are a source of discussion……
Its a good news night and I’ll just say I was sceptical about watching the Euros but thoroughly enjoyed it and my views on womens football have changed considerably.

Superb stuff. Well done to the Lionesses. Nice to see the interviews afterwards, not polished like men's football so actually worthwhile, such as the England player (Chloe Kelly I think) who ran off mid interview with the mic to celebrate with her teammates albeit her singing with the mic was a bit of a shocker.

Last edited:
I have not made any comparison so, you cannot possibly be "having a go" at me specifically. I merely wanted to highlight that women don't have testicles but can still play football.

England have just won the Euros. - Does that sound alright? Or, should I have qualified that with the insertion of ladies or Lionesses?

The problem occurs when others do make the comparison. There is no need.

Equally, there is no need for some to attempt to devalue the accomplishment by virtue of the gender of the players. If someone were to say that the achievement was not of an equitable standard because the players were all of an LGBTQ+ background or ethnic minority or disabled would that be acceptable? Of course not. I simply cannot understand anyone posting comments of a derogatory nature simply because they consider the skill level beneath their personal consideration.
If they don't like it, fine, don't bother watching.
You said “England have just done what no male team have achieved since 1966, won a major tournament.”

I know you weren’t doing it in a negative way, but I had just been reading similar comments online but in a way of ‘The current lot of men haven’t achieved what these women have!’ and I wanted to talk about it. Apologies

I`m not so sure about the lack of testicles with some of those lasses................ that aside....

Men: Football’s coming home!! It’s coming home!! It’s coming.....!!

Women: 60yrs later: … FFS I’ll get it myself.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I’ve seen England Women play before, and just couldn’t get in to it.

I don’t feel I’ve missed anything. I quite happily watch the F1 and some of England v South Africa in the final T20 today, and been watching the commonwealth games.

There is women on show there, so the testicles comment from Manorlounger is quite frankly pathetic.
I watched quite a lot of it to be honest. The quality is much better than in recent years, and there were some decent crowds but you won't have missed much if you didn't watch. Plenty of hyperbole this morning but if you're familiar with some of our Conference years you'll have seen the standard before.

Bloody brilliant! Having worked in the women's game for several years, I've been hoping for a real "moment" to be the turning point in pushing our women's game closer to the men's and this is it. What a brilliant performance!

You said “England have just done what no male team have achieved since 1966, won a major tournament.”

I know you weren’t doing it in a negative way, but I had just been reading similar comments online but in a way of ‘The current lot of men haven’t achieved what these women have!’ and I wanted to talk about it. Apologies
And maybe it should be talked about. Various interviews with the team post match indicated that the manager was instrumental in getting the team to play better, more confidently and to play together as a team more. Sarina Wiegman has now won back to back championships with The Netherlands and now England. Lessons to be learnt?

No apology needed, I probably came across as a little bit confrontational, sorry, not my intention!

THIS is why it matters:
Very well said, Kevin.

Absolutely. Pretty much every OUFC game I've been too have mums and dads bringing along the daughters to matches, and it is absolutely fantastic for them to finally have something to aspire to. Winning a major trophy in front of a sell-out crowd at Wembley Stadium - it doesn't get much better than that.

38 years ago, England women reached the final of the European Championships, and the second leg of the final was played in front of only 2,500 fans at Kenilworth Road in Luton! It's come along way since then.

This talk of standards. I wonder why the correspondent bothers with L1 Oxford United? Surely Man. City would be a more appropriate use of his time. No? I love to see Oxford play well but I know I’ll still go if they don’t. It isn’t all about the actual football.

I didn’t watch any of the games before the semi-final, but I loved the spectacle of the last two fixtures. Throw in a bit of jingoistic-hullabaloo, a high stakes situation and I’m not sure what more you want to be entertained.

Still, I’d rather cheese-grate my own face off than watch a second of F1, so each to their own.

This talk of standards. I wonder why the correspondent bothers with L1 Oxford United? Surely Man. City would be a more appropriate use of his time. No? I love to see Oxford play well but I know I’ll still go if they don’t. It isn’t all about the actual football.

I didn’t watch any of the games before the semi-final, but I loved the spectacle of the last two fixtures. Throw in a bit of jingoistic-hullabaloo, a high stakes situation and I’m not sure what more you want to be entertained.

Still, I’d rather cheese-grate my own face off than watch a second of F1, so each to their own.
I was with you, mostly, up until the F1 comment. Bit of a petrol head myself so I do watch when I can. Your mention of standards is nail on head.

Well done to the Lionesses, of course - it was an enjoyable tournament.

I have to say though, I think comparisons with the men's game (either positive or negative) and the achievements of the respective teams are a bit redundant. The situations in both are very different - but it is undeniable that the standard of play in the women's game is improving. It is improving on it's own terms though - the game is played quite differently from the men's version. That isn't either good or bad, you have to watch them with a different expectation of what you are going to see.

F1 is rubbish though. ;)

I was with you, mostly, up until the F1 comment. Bit of a petrol head myself so I do watch when I can. Your mention of standards is nail on head.
Yes exactly right about standards. Back in the day I did know someone who was a Leeds fan, who didn't follow them when they got relegated to div 2, or even watch on TV, because the 'standard was too low'. What a prat! But that view is unusual among fans of men's football.

I haven’t watched any of the games. Not because it is women‘s football or any sexist element at all. I’m just not interested in watching more football on TV in a saturated market. I don’t watch the mens international football either, although I do look out for the results. I completely missed that there was the Nations league rubbish at the end of the season.

The point I’d like to make, and the reason I am commenting on something I have no interest in, is that there has been an almost strange attitude to me when I have said I’m not interested. I feel as if I am being judged for not wanting to watch it And perhaps people are looking for an underhand motive. I feel the same as I do about Scottish football, or the Belgian leagues etc, I Just have no enthusiasm.

Each to their own, but I do feel like it’s being rammed down our throats and an almost “we must watch it as it’s England”.

In any case, many congratulations to the Lionesses and should help to develop some more interest in the game, and participation from girls.

I was lucky enough to be there and as a coach of a girls team, I have to say this moment has really been magic! While I have read some of the debate on here about the quality of womens football and how much air time it gets etc (and disagree with most of it). Those people who are critical, just don't get it! This isn't about how good the professional level of Women's football compared to the men's is. This is about inspiring young girls to play football. Most will never become professional footballers. It's about young girls having the opportunity to play a team sport (research shows girls play less sport) and the lifelong psychological, health and social benefits it brings. Benefits that most of the male posters on here will have taken for granted throughout their lives!

I was lucky enough to be there and as a coach of a girls team, I have to say this moment has really been magic! While I have read some of the debate on here about the quality of womens football and how much air time it gets etc (and disagree with most of it). Those people who are critical, just don't get it! This isn't about how good the professional level of Women's football compared to the men's is. This is about inspiring young girls to play football. Most will never become professional footballers. It's about young girls having the opportunity to play a team sport (research shows girls play less sport) and the lifelong psychological, health and social benefits it brings. Benefits that most of the male posters on here will have taken for granted throughout their lives!
Absolutely this^^^^

I bet quite a lot of EPL & EFL clubs are kicking themselves for refusing requests to use their stadiums for the Euros now.

I haven’t watched any of the games. Not because it is women‘s football or any sexist element at all. I’m just not interested in watching more football on TV in a saturated market. I don’t watch the mens international football either, although I do look out for the results. I completely missed that there was the Nations league rubbish at the end of the season.

The point I’d like to make, and the reason I am commenting on something I have no interest in, is that there has been an almost strange attitude to me when I have said I’m not interested. I feel as if I am being judged for not wanting to watch it And perhaps people are looking for an underhand motive. I feel the same as I do about Scottish football, or the Belgian leagues etc, I Just have no enthusiasm.

Each to their own, but I do feel like it’s being rammed down our throats and an almost “we must watch it as it’s England”.

In any case, many congratulations to the Lionesses and should help to develop some more interest in the game, and participation from girls.

That's fair enough. Football falls into the entertainment industry, and people's idea of entertainment varies - some people like opera, some like house music, others like heavy metal.

The criticism isn't directed at you - it's more the misogynists that whinging about the standard of football.

Personally, I'd rather watch the Wiegman led lionesses play than a Mourinho-led 'park the bus' snoozefest.

Back
Top Bottom