European Championships 23/03/2023: Euro 2024 qualifier: Italy v England

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
A great first half.

Thought we looked a bit shaken for the first 10-15 mins but we grew into the game.

Well done to Kane for his recording breaking goal.

But Jacko….. what a sitter to put this game to bed!

A great first half.

Thought we looked a bit shaken for the first 10-15 mins but we grew into the game.

Well done to Kane for his recording breaking goal.

But Jacko….. what a sitter to put this game to bed!
Dion Dublin said he caught it on the outside of his boot rather than the toes but having seen the replay, I reckon he missed it completely and it came off his shin. Should've scored.

On the face of it - a stunning first half, and on the way to an amazing result if we can now hold on.

But am I the only one that's just become totally jaded with England after the last World Cup? We're routinely amazing in qualifying, we sometimes look great in early tournament games, and then the first time we come up against a genuine contender in a knockout game, we lose. Sometimes it's a heartbreaking, knife edge defeat. But it's always a defeat.

The only time in my lifetime (and I'm 44!) that we've beaten a genuine contender in a major tournament knockout game was Spain in '96 (some people might claim Germany in Euro 2020.......but their performance in other international tournaments over recent years would suggest they were really a pretender).

Not sure I can be bothered to get my hopes up again until England prove they can beat a top team when it counts.

The only time in my lifetime (and I'm 44!) that we've beaten a genuine contender in a major tournament knockout game was Spain in '96
Should have lost that as well from what I remember. Didn't the ref disallow a Spain goal and give them a free-kick instead during the 90mins, which would have knocked us out?

On the face of it - a stunning first half, and on the way to an amazing result if we can now hold on.

But am I the only one that's just become totally jaded with England after the last World Cup? We're routinely amazing in qualifying, we sometimes look great in early tournament games, and then the first time we come up against a genuine contender in a knockout game, we lose. Sometimes it's a heartbreaking, knife edge defeat. But it's always a defeat.

The only time in my lifetime (and I'm 44!) that we've beaten a genuine contender in a major tournament knockout game was Spain in '96 (some people might claim Germany in Euro 2020.......but their performance in other international tournaments over recent years would suggest they were really a pretender).

Not sure I can be bothered to get my hopes up again until England prove they can beat a top team when it counts.
I agree to an extent. My love of internationals has dropped massively since the 90s.

We dominate friendlies and qualification but struggle in tournaments. It's not the fact that we lose but that we seem to fear the reputations of big teams.

I think Southgate is on the right path but I do think we need to win a tournament sooner rather than later if we're going to be feared on the world stage again. We've certainly got the individuals to do it.

Other than Donnarumma, Acerbi and Verratti I've not heard of this Italian team. For a good 15 years I would be able to name a full strength Italian side.

I'm not sure if I'm old, they're now shite, or a bit of both...

Jorginho, Barella and Verratti are the same midfield trio that beat us in the last Euro finals. Those three have been together for a long time now......

f*****g joke the ref is a knob yellows for time wasting but a couple of their challenges definitely yellow and not given

Back
Top Bottom