European Championships 23/03/2023: Euro 2024 qualifier: Italy v England

So Kane broke Wayne Rooney scoring record tonight, 18 were penalties where as Rooney only scored 7. As far as i am concerned Rooney would have been way ahead still.
I've read this many times trying to work out if there's any kind of logic involved. Still can't see it though. Reminds me of the Conference days when Rob Duffy scored 18 league goals in one season, but 7 of them were penalties so some commentators on here decided he wasn't a 'proper' goal scorer.

Other than Donnarumma, Acerbi and Verratti I've not heard of this Italian team. For a good 15 years I would be able to name a full strength Italian side.

I'm not sure if I'm old, they're now shite, or a bit of both...
You’ve heard of Acerbi but not Jorginho?!

You’ve heard of Acerbi but not Jorginho?!
Yeah I looked into this when Foley pointed it out. I'm not sure how it happened - I don't really watch Premier League football anymore so he's kind of passed me by.

... That doesn't explain how I've heard of Acerbi though. He looks like a bit of a journeyman and was playing when I watched tons more football back in the early 2010s, so perhaps that's where I've come across him!

I would imagine that injuries permitting, Kane will finish above Rooney on non penalty goals.
I assume Linaker scored a lot of penalties, but not so sure about Bobby Charlton?
England top penalty takers to date.
Harry Kane. 18
Frank Lampard. 9
Wayne Rooney. 7
Alan Shearer. 6
Ron Flowers. 6
David Beckham. 5
Garry Linekar. 4
Geoff Hurst. 4
David Platt. 3
Tom Finney. 3
Alf Ramsey. 3
Bobby Charlton. 3
Marcus Rashford. 3
Alan Clarke. 3
Mick Channon. 3

Harry Kane. 18
Frank Lampard. 9
Wayne Rooney. 7
Alan Shearer. 6
Ron Flowers. 6
David Beckham. 5
Garry Linekar. 4
Geoff Hurst. 4
David Platt. 3
Tom Finney. 3
Alf Ramsey. 3
Bobby Charlton. 3
Marcus Rashford. 3
Alan Clarke. 3
Mick Channon. 3
Really interesting.
Lampard surprised me with 9 penalties.
I always remembered Linaker and Shearer as very good penalty takers and I am surprised that they took so few (they will have taken some in penalty shoot outs as well)

Harry Kane. 18
Frank Lampard. 9
Wayne Rooney. 7
Alan Shearer. 6
Ron Flowers. 6
David Beckham. 5
Garry Linekar. 4
Geoff Hurst. 4
David Platt. 3
Tom Finney. 3
Alf Ramsey. 3
Bobby Charlton. 3
Marcus Rashford. 3
Alan Clarke. 3
Mick Channon. 3
Does this suggest that the frequency that penalties are given has increased in the modern game?

Edit: This link suggests that it is. Unfortunately I can't jailbreak the full article...

https://www.economist.com/graphic-d...es-are-becoming-more-common-in-elite-football

Well I say B*****s to that. I'm tired of losing. Only one stat I care about from this point on, and that's major tournament victories. I'm done with handing out any plaudits until an England captain is holding a trophy.
Leah Williamson

Does this suggest that the frequency that penalties are given has increased in the modern game?

Edit: This link suggests that it is. Unfortunately I can't jailbreak the full article...

https://www.economist.com/graphic-d...es-are-becoming-more-common-in-elite-football
I actually dislike penalties being given in open play, though penalty shootouts are great fun. The punishment is out of proportion with the offence committed, especially now that they're given for offences that are invisible to the naked eye.

Harry Kane. 18
Frank Lampard. 9
Wayne Rooney. 7
Alan Shearer. 6
Ron Flowers. 6
David Beckham. 5
Garry Linekar. 4
Geoff Hurst. 4
David Platt. 3
Tom Finney. 3
Alf Ramsey. 3
Bobby Charlton. 3
Marcus Rashford. 3
Alan Clarke. 3
Mick Channon. 3

That's really interesting with Shearer. I would have assumed he would have scored more penalties for England. He did miss one penalty overall, but getting a penalty in 1 in every 11 games doesn't seem that high.

He has an impressive international record of 30 goals in 63 games yet 20% of them were spot kicks. Of his 260 PL goals, 56 were penalties, a stat of just 10%.

It goes to show that having someone who can net from the spot is so crucial in international football.

I've read this many times trying to work out if there's any kind of logic involved. Still can't see it though. Reminds me of the Conference days when Rob Duffy scored 18 league goals in one season, but 7 of them were penalties so some commentators on here decided he wasn't a 'proper' goal scorer.

Duffy (pen) is a legendary detail on any TV vidiprinter.

So Kane broke Wayne Rooney scoring record tonight, 18 were penalties where as Rooney only scored 7. As far as i am concerned Rooney would have been way ahead still.
Far fewer games than Rooney, but both obviously playing far more per season than in t'olden days..

Incidentally, it would be interesting to see an 'open play ' list of goals scored

Far fewer games than Rooney, but both obviously playing far more per season than in t'olden days..

Incidentally, it would be interesting to see an 'open play ' list of goals scored
I don't think goals from within the six-yard box really count either, that's just goal hanging and would get you a beating when I was at school. Only goals from open play and outside the six-yard box please. That'll separate the wheat from the chaff.

Really interesting.
Lampard surprised me with 9 penalties.
I always remembered Linaker and Shearer as very good penalty takers and I am surprised that they took so few (they will have taken some in penalty shoot outs as well)

The penalty shoot out ones are not included in goals scored are they? Which is a bit strange really, they exist but don't, a bit like that German blokes cat.

The penalty shoot out ones are not included in goals scored are they? Which is a bit strange really, they exist but don't, a bit like that German blokes cat.
The cat did exist though, that wasn't in doubt. Wasn't it more that it was both alive and dead at the same time?

The cat did exist though, that wasn't in doubt.
Not sure about that (appropriately enough). This was always a 'thought experiment', the usually unimpeachably accurate Wikipedia does not mention whether Schrödinger ever actually had a cat.

Oh and England were a bit lucky to beat a poor Italian side.

Not sure about that (appropriately enough). This was always a 'thought experiment', the usually unimpeachably accurate Wikipedia does not mention whether Schrödinger ever actually had a cat.

Oh and England were a bit lucky to beat a poor Italian side.
I've seen links that suggest he did have a cat called 'Milton'. But I guess until we actually observe said cat it will be in a state of both 'being owned' and 'not being owned'.

What if they open the box and instead of a cat it’s a dog that walks out? Would penalties count then? All a bit confusing now.

Back
Top Bottom