European Championships 23/03/2023: Euro 2024 qualifier: Italy v England

Leah Williamson

Fair comment - and the Women's team are due all the plaudits for winning the Euros.

That, and the fact that our Olympians regularly do so well, and that our (men's and women's) cricketers and rugby players have won the big one in the relatively recent past shows that it's not a national psyche thing.

It's just our highest paid sportsmen that haven't been able to get it done on the biggest stage.

Frankly, I think this is a big part of the problem.
When the big tournaments get down to the business end, the best sides are often full of arrogant bastards that go out there and get it done. The England football team always gets timid, and afraid of failure, and then cracks under the pressure. Argentina weren't a more talented side than us in Qatar, but they were mentally much tougher. So when the big moments came along, they seized them whilst we forgot to mark Giroud from a simple cross and then had our World Class striker put a pen into orbit.

And the thing that made me really angry about Qatar (and maybe this is just because I've been in America too long)......about half our fans seemed to think our World Cup performance was acceptable. We played well, France were a good side, no disgrace to lose to them.

Well I say B*****s to that. I'm tired of losing. Only one stat I care about from this point on, and that's major tournament victories. I'm done with handing out any plaudits until an England captain is holding a trophy.

Your analysis is overridden by emotion over logic.

We played better than France. Marking Giroud isn’t a confidence issue. We dominated. It happens. We’ve only just become good. For years we were no better than Denmark, it wasn’t a mentality issue. We just weren’t good,

Now we are good for a few years. We don’t instantly win a tournament though. But it’ll happen

Le tournoi 1997 😉

For years we were no better than Denmark

Yeah, that's not really true though, is it? Over the years, we've made the knockout rounds in more than twice as many major tournaments as Denmark.
There's certainly been periods when we've been rubbish, but in general we've outperformed Denmark over any timescale and on any metric you'd like to suggest (as we should do - we've more people and more resources than they do).
Except one - they have a major tournament victory in our lifetimes. Whereas England don't.

I'm not trying to belittle the current group, or blame them for the many failings of their predecessors.

Just saying that I'm done celebrating any minor accomplishments of the England football team. For me, it's win a big one now, or bust.

And a last minute equaliser for Wales in Croatia, courtesy of League 1

Channel 4 coverage is absurd. They are doing kindergarden countdown with some players

Channel 4 coverage is absurd. They are doing kindergarden countdown with some players
Agree. I've got nothing against Rob Green, but a commentator he ain't. The other bloke just sounded like he'd researched a load of stats he was determined to shoe-horn in regardless of what was happening on the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom