Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's interesting as strangely enough I was only thinking earlier today about incidents of racism I've directly seen/heard at a football match and I could only remember one - when one of our own fans called Liam Davis a monkey. This incident was reported to a steward and the offender was removed from the stadium. I've been a ST holder every season since we moved to the Kassam and have probably averaged about 10 away games a season in that time, so not a bad sample size.

It really is a shame to think there's a player potentially about to join the club that will have that memory of our fan base. Based on my own experiences of attending games I thought we were better than most. Apparently not.
I have been to most of the home games and many of the away games in the past few years and was commenting to somebody recently that I have heard maybe a couple of racist comments in the past 10 years.
What Ryan said is awful however. Even though it is a small minority, I believe, it does have to be stamped out. And clubs have to take it more seriously. If players are taking the knee and stewards are ignoring racist incidents that is ridiculous.

If we sign Harrison then could Robinson look at changing formation to play a 442 diamond?
Harrison and Taylor up top, midfield 4 of New left midfielder, Brannagan at the base, Henry/McGuane at the top and Williams on the right?

If we sign Harrison then could Robinson look at changing formation to play a 442 diamond?
Harrison and Taylor up top, midfield 4 of New left midfielder, Brannagan at the base, Henry/McGuane at the top and Williams on the right?
You don’t normally play wingers in midfield in a 4-1-2-1-2 diamond do you? More likely Gorrin at the base, two mobile players like Brannigan, Sykes or McGuane in the middle then someone in the hole like Henry or Lee, with the fullbacks having to get forward to provide the width. With wingers it would be more just a classic 4-4-2 which seems unlikely

Harrison was racially abused by some of our fans away at Rovers in 2016. The same game where Taylor came off the bench to score the winner and did the handshake celebration. “Oi Harrison, lend us a monkey, mate!” was the line used repeatedly to goad him. At one point somebody followed it up with a monkey ‘shriek’. Harrison stopped and glared at the people responsible more than once and they were reported to stewards, but nothing was done about it. Those same people will probably be cheering him if he signs.
Sadly, there are always a few people with a bad mindset or have managed to get their hands on half a lager shandy.

You don’t normally play wingers in midfield in a 4-1-2-1-2 diamond do you? More likely Gorrin at the base, two mobile players like Brannigan, Sykes or McGuane in the middle then someone in the hole like Henry or Lee, with the fullbacks having to get forward to provide the width. With wingers it would be more just a classic 4-4-2 which seems unlikely
I get your point but I’d say Williams is the type that could play in a diamond.
I’m not saying Robinson will do it as it goes against the way he has set his teams up throughout his managerial career. He likes wingers who can get the ball in the box and have runners coming into the box.

He could. There is however more chance of me spending this evening with Jessica Alba.

The very next season when we went to the Mem (1-0 win, Mowatt) some other supporters spent the first half referring to the Rovers left back, Bola, as Ebola. I questioned whether I was reading too much into it in terms of racial connotations, maybe it’s just them being too stupid to come up with anything better, until someone told him to eff off back to Africa. Again, reported and no action taken. Stewards nearby who could hear it all. On both occasions, more people laughed along than told them to pipe down. Not sure I buy the narrative that racism isn’t a problem in football, or that social media trolling doesn’t count as racism, and that’s why booing the knee is acceptable. I’ve heard a number of our own fans being racist on multiple occasions in recent seasons. I’m sure our club isn’t unique. A long way to go, which feels like a lot longer still given the current climate.

Apologies - don’t mean to derail the transfer thread. Merely thought it was genuinely relevant seeing as it looks like we might be days away from signing a player who has specifically been the subject of racist abuse from our own fans. I hope that those people feel ashamed and remember how stupid they were. Especially if we do happen to sign him and they end up applauding him.
Well I’m looking forward to being back in the ground. I hope we still take the knee and we can have fun reporting any racist shits to the stewards.

So why ARE they booing?
Because blm are a Marxist organisation that is actively highlighting any historical or possible racist incidents creating real tensions while completing overlooking black on black stabbings / violence which I'd hope they had a stance on . To me they are fostering resentment not ever looking to highlight positive race relations at all.

Because blm are a Marxist organisation that is actively highlighting any historical or possible racist incidents creating real tensions while completing overlooking black on black stabbings / violence which I'd hope they had a stance on . To me they are fostering resentment not ever looking to highlight positive race relations at all.
OK, so you think that all of the players kneeling are doing so because they specifically are supporting BLM as an organisation and want to promote its aims? Despite everyone (including those players) saying that they are kneeling to show their feelings about racism?

That seems more than a bit unlikely.

Curtis strikes me as one of those players that you think is a bellend but you'd love him if he was playing for you. Just like Maguire and just like Hylton. I don't think it's an attitude thing
The same player who was filming himself and team mates out on the p*ss straight after we knocked them out of the play offs.....no thanks !!!

Club shop closed tomorrow for 'staff training'....cue lots of rumours about new signings being there for photos?!🤣🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom